Sponsored

Wait to buy, or buy before inventory is picked through?

JLforlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi
That makes sense, I think they closed ordering again, due to factory shutdown, but someone else would have to tell me if that's true.
Ordering is still open. Rumor has it factory should be opening up in the first part of May.
Sponsored

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
I went down the dealership to get a Gladiator and ended up walking out with a Power Wagon. the MSRP on my Power Wagon was $68900. fully loaded and i got it for just under 53K+ taxes. dealerships will make you some insane deals to get rid of stock right now. time to make my Overlanding rig.

Reactions: VNT

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I went down the dealership to get a Gladiator and ended up walking out with a Power Wagon. the MSRP on my Power Wagon was $68900. fully loaded and i got it for just under 53K+ taxes. dealerships will make you some insane deals to get rid of stock right now. time to make my Overlanding rig.
Haven't heard of anyone else getting near this kind of discount. I was trying to get $10k off MSRP, but dealerships here (MA), don't seem to be budging much of anything over their advertised discount prices. How did that negotiation go?

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
took about 6 hours and me walking out to get it that low. but i have an 830 credit score and i had 24K for my down. i went thru 3 salesmen and then the manager before i got them that low. it was also last month at the end of the month i pulled the same thing with my Jeep it started out at 45000 and when we were done it was 39000 out the door taxes and fees. but my jeep and the PW i got were on the lot for a long time. my jeep was there for 180+ days and the PW was there for 120 days.

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sarge Green/Tan, '16 Mazda Miata BBS
Occupation
E-Commerce
I am in the same boat. My lease ends late June. Looks like with the projected May factory opening I should be okay with an order. Unfortunately my top choice was Punk'n Orange and it's discontinued. There are a few loaded JLUR's in Punk'n that match my spec, but I'd be paying for two cars for 2 months if I go that route...

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I am in the same boat. My lease ends late June. Looks like with the projected May factory opening I should be okay with an order. Unfortunately my top choice was Punk'n Orange and it's discontinued. There are a few loaded JLUR's in Punk'n that match my spec, but I'd be paying for two cars for 2 months if I go that route...
Some dealerships will pay off your old car lease if you sign a new one with them. 2 months if very viable.

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sarge Green/Tan, '16 Mazda Miata BBS
Occupation
E-Commerce
Some dealerships will pay off your old car lease if you sign a new one with them. 2 months if very viable.
True, I've heard of that too. But always wondered, wouldn't they just take the value of those monthly payments out of the available discount? Or is there some other program that would do this while maintaining the same discount? If that makes sense...

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
True, I've heard of that too. But always wondered, wouldn't they just take the value of those monthly payments out of the available discount? Or is there some other program that would do this while maintaining the same discount? If that makes sense...
You don't get something for nothing. Leasing laws are a little different for every state. They usually just roll in the remaining lease payments into your new vehicle. They will also roll in any penealties and fees. Basically you will pay a premium for the convenience of getting out of your current lease early.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have mixed feeling about these deep discounts. On one hand, like everyone else, I like to save money. On the other, I wonder how much the short-term discounts will impact the long-term viability of the firms that produce the products that we enjoy. Ironically, most of us don't "need" the discounts since our source of income hasn't been impacted, we've only lost money on paper. These small businesses are literally fighting for their survival - something none of us have ever seen on this scale before. In some bizarre way, it feels like kicking them when they're down.

I'm not discouraging people from seeking out great deals. I'm just making an observation.

Confession: I took advantage of a "buy 4, get 1" wheels from AEV - so I'm not immune to the lure of discounts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
took about 6 hours and me walking out to get it that low. but i have an 830 credit score and i had 24K for my down. i went thru 3 salesmen and then the manager before i got them that low. it was also last month at the end of the month i pulled the same thing with my Jeep it started out at 45000 and when we were done it was 39000 out the door taxes and fees. but my jeep and the PW i got were on the lot for a long time. my jeep was there for 180+ days and the PW was there for 120 days.
I work in leadership at a large credit union. Your 830 score was of little help in negotiations. Dealerships make most of their money on selling financing and “back end products” to mid and lower credit tier borrowers. Products such as credit life, credit disability, warranties, and gap insurance. High credit score borrowers often forego the expensive add ons or even financing of any type. Sometimes dealerships will make a better deal on a vehicle if they believe they can line their pockets with financing and the extras. On bank/credit union financing the dealers usually receive 1.5-2.0%. Sounds like you got a great deal...but it’s certainly a game. I personally would never spend 6 hours playing the haggle game. Jeeps are not a rare commodity.

Pumping4Jane

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Just purchased an "off the lot" 2 door Rubicon for 16% off MSRP. Deals are out there now, if you can locate and travel for the vehicle you want.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
that's tough. how many folks wanted one, and, this waylaid those plans, vs when will manufacturing kick back in...

and, by mid may?

yikes....i'd say buy now. (and also, i'd bet quite a few backed out of sales at last minute. You may have more choices than You thought.)

how specific is Your search?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have mixed feeling about these deep discounts. On one hand, like everyone else, I like to save money. On the other, I wonder how much the short-term discounts will impact the long-term viability of the firms that produce the products that we enjoy. Ironically, most of us don't "need" the discounts since our source of income hasn't been impacted, we've only lost money on paper. These small businesses are literally fighting for their survival - something none of us have ever seen on this scale before. In some bizarre way, it feels like kicking them when they're down.

I'm not discouraging people from seeking out great deals. I'm just making an observation.

Confession: I took advantage of a "buy 4, get 1" wheels from AEV - so I'm not immune to the lure of discounts.
It's difficult to speak for other people. Definitely depends on your outlook and age. I think these "paper" losses are impacting more people then you think. Ask anyone who was about to retire or "was" retired. I use "was" jokingly because the retirement plan might change for some folks. A part time job as a Costco greeter is a possibility for some retirees because of the economy. In addition some people might not live long enough to see the recovery. These "paper" losses are real no matter how you look at it.

I respect the humanity in you. Trust me dealers and FCA are not looking out for your best interest. They are getting what the market will pay at any given time. Personally I will take any and every penny of a discount I can get. I will choose what charities I want give to.

OP
OP

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
that's tough. how many folks wanted one, and, this waylaid those plans, vs when will manufacturing kick back in...

and, by mid may?

yikes....i'd say buy now. (and also, i'd bet quite a few backed out of sales at last minute. You may have more choices than You thought.)

how specific is Your search?
I have a list of about 5 things that are "must haves" I have another 4 or so that are "must not haves". I was also very limited on the colors I would consider buying. The rest would be considered nice to haves, but most of those I could add something similar aftermarket or something better later on. That's why my initial intent was to order. Most of the stuff is covered in earlier posts, but short version is 3rd party vehicle search sites don't offer the best criteria and the Jeep build and search site doesn't offer a far enough distance.
Sponsored