Sponsored

Wait to buy, or buy before inventory is picked through?

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
I'm ready to buy, and was planning to order, but now I'm not sure I can wait long enough for factories to get back online and then wait the additional 4-8 weeks for an ordered JLUR. Looking through nationwide inventory thinking I should buy before it's so picked through that I don't get what I really want for options. That being said I know the deals will just get better the longer I wait. Anyone thing that now is good enough? Or should I wait another 2-4 weeks. I have a mid May timeline for being in my possession.
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Not that I have any special information or knowledge, but....it looks to me as if prices are likely to be higher and availability less as time goes by, and I'm guessing it's going to be some time before that turns around. They aren't going to make any for awhile, and there are still people who'll want them. So, in your place, I'd buy off the lot now if I could find one I liked.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
If you absolutely need it by mid-May then ordering is not an option. Ordering is ideal though because when you're dropping $50k on a vehicle, it's nice to get exactly what you want. In your case, I would wait because the deals will only get better (they definitely won't get worse) and most people won't be buying cars again until this situation starts improving.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I would start to look now at dealer inventories. If you see one you like, buy it.

there may be better deals in a month or not. Hard to tell. But among the best time to buy would be the time at the highest uncertainty. I think that we are reaching that point now.

from the dealer’s perspective: they have big numbers of Jeeps on the Lot and Retail Analysts suggest that they are selling very few. I heard one story of a dealership that normally sold 45 units/period. They are now selling 1 unit/ same period. That inventory is burning a cash hole in those dealers. They will want/need to sell......

The virus that has caused this isnt going away...... it may cause western economies to head into an economic depression (how long that will last is unclear.... might be hopefully short). The LAST thing that a business wants to do is have high inventory levels going into a potential crisis like that. The next 2 months will determine the depths of the crisis. Clarity will come along the way but doesn’t exist now...... so, if you have the means and need to buy a Jeep, now really is a good time to buy off the lot, IMO

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Use AutoTrader to find inventory across the US with the features you want. I would buy sometime this month - maybe target end of the month in case dealers want to hit a quota. Factories will likely remain shut down for at least another month or two. While demand has dropped to near-zero, eventually inventory will dwindle.

Sponsored

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I am seeing advertised discounts on some local dealers of $6,000+ off MSRP
What other incentives might come out of or is it simply lower pricing (and how low can it go)?
Not interested in financing

Seeing Friends and Family stacked with an additional $1,000 off to get some of these discounts. Assume Jeep eats those and it does not come out of the dealers pocket. If they are advertising a $ off MSRP using these rebates... how much more room should there be/ can we get above that?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I'm ready to buy, and was planning to order, but now I'm not sure I can wait long enough for factories to get back online and then wait the additional 4-8 weeks for an ordered JLUR. Looking through nationwide inventory thinking I should buy before it's so picked through that I don't get what I really want for options. That being said I know the deals will just get better the longer I wait. Anyone thing that now is good enough? Or should I wait another 2-4 weeks. I have a mid May timeline for being in my possession.
I have been pricing gladiators, not wranglers, but I would assume it's the same. The lower priced one's are disappearing, but the high end ones aren't. So it depends on what you're looking for. Cheap, buy sooner, expensive, wait longer. If you look at them on cargurus, it will show you how long they've been for sale.

OP
OP

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Wow, what a response. Sorry, chose not to quote everyone. I agree and understand all the points made above and that's basically where I'm at. I feel I need to act sooner so I get what I want, but no one ever wants to feel like they paid to much after the fact, and with the economy, I'm very blessed that I wasn't affected, I know several who are or will be soon.

As for deals, I'm seeing similar off MSRP, I even had a dealer in Maryland offer 0% for 84 months. I wasn't interested in financing either, but if there's a Jeep rebate that I can make the price drop, then I'll finance for the 6 months or so if it gets an additional $500 or more.

I'm using Autotrader and cars.com as they seem to have the best filter options. Now, with the state of the world I have to find out if I can buy and drive to pick up or if I don't risk and pay the shipping costs.

Sohm Wan

First Name
Sohm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit 2011
that would be nice. but you would figure since demand would be lower, price should be too since models on lot will be older. despite factories closing.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Prices will be significantly lower in 6 months. SIGNIFICANTLY.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 30-40% discounts on new vehicles + 0% interest for 84 months, most likely under the cost to produce. Hardly anything is going to move off the lot for the next 6 months. Also, I don't think a dealer is going to take a trade at this point either (at all, at any price).

Economy is not just going to jump back. I really hope I am wrong but no one is going back to work until it's proven that hospitals won't get overrun and there's an effective treatment so that people are no longer dying from this. Perhaps with anti-body testing and requirement of wearing masks in public (i.e., to help reduce the chance of someone asymptomatic carrying from spreading it) we can get back a bit earlier. We will see.

I really want to be wrong, I really hope I am. But I am also expecting we'll see Dow @ 10k by the end of the year, maybe lower. $2T stimulus was just the start... we'll be at $10T+ before this is over.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
I have been pricing gladiators, not wranglers, but I would assume it's the same. The lower priced one's are disappearing, but the high end ones aren't. So it depends on what you're looking for. Cheap, buy sooner, expensive, wait longer. If you look at them on cargurus, it will show you how long they've been for sale.
I took a look through cargurus, found one that says 61 days, seems like a great opportunity. My local larger dealers go through a much quicker turnaround than that. This also appears to be a fairly large dealership. Going to reach out. See if I can't use the included extras as better negotiating power as well.

I really wish we had a search on the jeep site that was nationwide, not limited to 150 miles. I can only make up so many zip codes ;)

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I took a look through cargurus, found one that says 61 days, seems like a great opportunity. My local larger dealers go through a much quicker turnaround than that. This also appears to be a fairly large dealership. Going to reach out. See if I can't use the included extras as better negotiating power as well.

I really wish we had a search on the jeep site that was nationwide, not limited to 150 miles. I can only make up so many zip codes ;)
Let us know how you do

OP
OP

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Wow, dealer lists price on website, been on cargurus for 61 days, has link that says "click here for today's price" basically implying that they have some wiggle room. Get the "quote" after talking to someone, exact price that's listed on the website, plus $1950 in "add-ons". So I say what about removing those add ons. Response. We're already losing money at that price, so we can't do anything. I didn't even ask for less on the asking price, just to remove the add ons and they won't budge. Never seen a dealer so patient. I guess i'm looking elsewhere. I'm not losing out though, there were several options I would not have added to my order, so I keep looking. I'm getting pretty used to looking, would like to buy something eventually though.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Wow, dealer lists price on website, been on cargurus for 61 days, has link that says "click here for today's price" basically implying that they have some wiggle room. Get the "quote" after talking to someone, exact price that's listed on the website, plus $1950 in "add-ons". So I say what about removing those add ons. Response. We're already losing money at that price, so we can't do anything. I didn't even ask for less on the asking price, just to remove the add ons and they won't budge. Never seen a dealer so patient. I guess i'm looking elsewhere. I'm not losing out though, there were several options I would not have added to my order, so I keep looking. I'm getting pretty used to looking, would like to buy something eventually though.
They probably just don't like dealing over the Internet. Some dealers are like that. They'd prefer you to come in and see the vehicle, and they might negotiate from there.

The other possibility is they are expecting massive incentives soon from Fiat to move vehicles and they want to hold onto inventory until that happens. As weird as that sounds.
Sponsored