Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Let see some Saharas off the pavement!!!

Yesterday I drove with my top off for the first time. I had just finished my making some adjustments to my hoist install, so I wanted to take the top off to retest. Since it was off I decided to go for a drive. Without having anywhere in mind I figured why not take my Jeep off the pavement for the first time too.
I didn't do any serious wheeling, or anything like that, but it's now been topless and off road. That's a good day.
I found a nearby trail and went for a drive. The trail is basically an old access trail by a local lake. It's gravel in some parts, but in others is just a trail between the trees. More than anything it's just a hilly rough path through the woods, but enough that it was fun. According to my EVIC, the steepest grade was 8° while the roll was showing 3°. It sure felt a lot steeper than that from seat, but doing this a vehicle so small is new to me (I've had Rams off road many times).
I didn't get a lot of photos, because it was just me and my wife. I know, never off-road alone. My excuse to myself is that this wasn't really "off-roading" and I have a friend about 10 minutes away with a heavily modified Jeep who could have come bailed us out (this "trail" would probably bore him so I didn't call to see if he'd want to come along).
Anyway, back to the point. I was thinking about Wranglers in general, as I was doing this. People joke all the time about the Sahara being a mall crawler, and for the most part they're probably right. This was likely the most extreme thing my Jeep will see. However, I know guys/gals out there, are doing much more than this with the Sahara. Heck, with as fun as that was I may start looking at other trails (with a friend along this time).
So lets see these mall crawlers off the asphalt. Here's a few photos I did manage to take to get things started.
1st trip off pavement (3) resize.jpg
1st trip off pavement (5) resize.jpg
1st trip off pavement (11) resize.jpg
I am sorry my JKU was a Sahara, and they are totally capable and underappreciated.. but you didn't help the mall criticism by posting your offroad photo on the flattest smoothest dirt in north america :)

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I am sorry my JKU was a Sahara, and they are totally capable and underappreciated.. but you didn't help the mall criticism by posting your offroad photo on the flattest smoothest dirt in north america :)
Ha ha, maybe so. It's all I had at the time but I think the others have me covered though.
Besides "off road" doesn't have to mean running through a mud hole, or over a pile of rocks. It means just what it is... off the boring paved parking lots and roads. Not on asphalt, in a mall parking lot, but in the woods, or a field somewhere. I wanted scenic pictures, and most people say the Sahara never leaves the pavement, which clearly they do. It doesn't have to be some great all terrain adventure that only a Jeep can reach. So far all the places my Jeep has gone, are the same places I was able to take my 4 door Ram, so I'm not one to display a test of the Sahara's limits.

I've always wondered how people get good action shots. Typically when I'm on a trail I don't have people standing around to take a photo, nor is there really a good place for them to stand if there were. I've seen a lot of great shots and would love to have some like that of my Jeep, but can't seem to get a good angle. For example, if you look at my third photo, you can kinda see the hill I came up just behind my Jeep. I stopped at the top near where it leads a gravel path (the one path the first photo). It was somewhat narrow (mostly light brush) so there wasn't anywhere I could really stop, get out, and go take a photo of it on the hill. It wasn't excessively steep or anything (I think my off road page showed 8°) and mostly comprised of packed dirt with a few loose rocks. Though it would certainly have made for a better photo. Actually the reason the photo was taken so close to the Jeep is because I couldn't get further away for a wider shot due to the vegetation, and if I had gone further I would have been pretty far down the hill myself, making it a photo a trees and the undercarriage of my Jeep.
This thread is, in a way, a tutorial for me on how to get some better photos, not just a bunch of Saharas somewhere more scenic than a parking lot.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Not much off road on my end, but driving thru the mud, rocks and flooded treachery of construction sites makes having a jeep a fitting vehicle. In the future I will try some real off roading.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Let see some Saharas off the pavement!!!

Yesterday I drove with my top off for the first time. I had just finished my making some adjustments to my hoist install, so I wanted to take the top off to retest. Since it was off I decided to go for a drive. Without having anywhere in mind I figured why not take my Jeep off the pavement for the first time too.
I didn't do any serious wheeling, or anything like that, but it's now been topless and off road. That's a good day.
I found a nearby trail and went for a drive. The trail is basically an old access trail by a local lake. It's gravel in some parts, but in others is just a trail between the trees. More than anything it's just a hilly rough path through the woods, but enough that it was fun. According to my EVIC, the steepest grade was 8° while the roll was showing 3°. It sure felt a lot steeper than that from seat, but doing this a vehicle so small is new to me (I've had Rams off road many times).
I didn't get a lot of photos, because it was just me and my wife. I know, never off-road alone. My excuse to myself is that this wasn't really "off-roading" and I have a friend about 10 minutes away with a heavily modified Jeep who could have come bailed us out (this "trail" would probably bore him so I didn't call to see if he'd want to come along).
Anyway, back to the point. I was thinking about Wranglers in general, as I was doing this. People joke all the time about the Sahara being a mall crawler, and for the most part they're probably right. This was likely the most extreme thing my Jeep will see. However, I know guys/gals out there, are doing much more than this with the Sahara. Heck, with as fun as that was I may start looking at other trails (with a friend along this time).
So lets see these mall crawlers off the asphalt. Here's a few photos I did manage to take to get things started.
1st trip off pavement (3) resize.jpg
1st trip off pavement (5) resize.jpg
1st trip off pavement (11) resize.jpg
You madman!

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
LOL. Yeah you gotta watch out for all those wooded trails. There may be a bump or two on them causing you to spill your pumpkin spice latte. :devil:

Seriously though, I do enjoy a french vanilla latte. :blush:

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I'm in muddy, rocky, torn apart, debris filled construction sites all the time.
I'll have to snap a few pics next time

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Absolutely. I look forward to seeing them.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Anyone seen this?
I wasn't expecting this level of crap from TFL, his constant whining was just frustrating to watch.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Not much off road on my end, but driving thru the mud, rocks and flooded treachery of construction sites makes having a jeep a fitting vehicle. In the future I will try some real off roading.

I'm in muddy, rocky, torn apart, debris filled construction sites all the time.
I'll have to snap a few pics next time
lol and here in the Chicago suburbs I thought I was the only one! I always wonder what’s in the debris besides mud...

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
I did it all in safari mode and was surprised at how little (besides dust) got into the cabin.

On the flip side...it took two and a half hours to clean her back up.

A64B18B5-2A14-4FF5-8E3B-98DD88848D3E.jpeg

5420C659-E0EE-49AD-9143-570A2CEE2146.jpeg

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Anyone seen this?
I wasn't expecting this level of crap from TFL, his constant whining was just frustrating to watch.
Well he surely likes the phrase "Achilles heel". He was also having a melt down about the ground clearance, and that's pretty much all he talked about. Okay, so the difference is 0.8" (10.0 Sahara, 10.8 Rubicon, according to Autoblog). Less than one inch dude, move on.
I think the bigger issue with taking a Sahara down the Rubicon Trail would be tires, steps instead of sliders, skid plates and maybe lockers. He briefly mentions the tires but relates it to clearance. The real problem with the tires is likely to be grip difference between the AT Revo3 vs the KO2 not the 1/2" ground clearance difference between a 32" and 33" tire.
He got so hung up on the ground clearance thing...... (see what I did there ;))....... that he never really talked about anything else. So how would the Sahara do on the Rubicon Trail? We don't know because he never really tried, and then they bailed out early because someone had food poisoning.

I was hoping for so much more cool footage than what we got. On the up side, that was definitely NOT the mall. :like:

Last edited:

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Would love to see a Sahara with good tires, some lift and armor give it a try. Just curious.
Sponsored