Sponsored

Wait for higher quality lifts?

Hypermac954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ferrari GTC4Lusso, 2018 Ferrari California T, 2016 Viper ACR-E, 2018 JLUR
So I'm quite new to this Jeep thing, and off roading in general - my expertise lies in nice smooth tarmac and downforce! But I'm loving my new JLUR, and going to start modifying soon. One thing I'm wondering is if it's worth waiting for a higher end lift and suspension kit like the Icon or EVO Coilover conversion kits? I'd prefer to do it once and do it right from the get go.

Thoughts? How long before we see these higher end kits on the market? I'm half leaning towards the MOPAR kit for now.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m new to the Jeep world too but I see your other cars listed which are more of my field of knowledge. I think you already know the answer - don’t cut corners to save a few hundred bucks on tires, brakes, or suspension parts. It’s not worth it.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
So I'm quite new to this Jeep thing, and off roading in general - my expertise lies in nice smooth tarmac and downforce! But I'm loving my new JLUR, and going to start modifying soon. One thing I'm wondering is if it's worth waiting for a higher end lift and suspension kit like the Icon or EVO Coilover conversion kits? I'd prefer to do it once and do it right from the get go.

Thoughts? How long before we see these higher end kits on the market? I'm half leaning towards the MOPAR kit for now.
I am waiting for coilover kits, Evo to be specific, but will consider others if they come to market sooner and are a quality brand at the right price point, like ICON.

OP
OP

Hypermac954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ferrari GTC4Lusso, 2018 Ferrari California T, 2016 Viper ACR-E, 2018 JLUR
I’m new to the Jeep world too but I see your other cars listed which are more of my field of knowledge. I think you already know the answer - don’t cut corners to save a few hundred bucks on tires, brakes, or suspension parts. It’s not worth it.
For me it's a more a time question - if it'll be a year or so until the coilover kits become available, I'll do the Mopar lift for now, knowing I'll pull it out in a year.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
For me it's a more a time question - if it'll be a year or so until the coilover kits become available, I'll do the Mopar lift for now, knowing I'll pull it out in a year.
It won't be a year or two, it won't even be until the end of this year before you see Evo release a coilover kit.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
There’s a huge aftermarket for Jeeps. One of the largest. I expect that the top manufacturers are all very deep into development of lots of parts. Many of them got the first JLs that were sold so they’ve been in R&D mode for a few months. I’d guess that by the end of summer there will be a lot of new options in the market. I don’t have any inside knowledge, just my guess.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
There’s a huge aftermarket for Jeeps. One of the largest. I expect that the top manufacturers are all very deep into development of lots of parts. Many of them got the first JLs that were sold so they’ve been in R&D mode for a few months. I’d guess that by the end of summer there will be a lot of new options in the market. I don’t have any inside knowledge, just my guess.
I think we will get a lot of information out of the Easter Jeep Safari.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I’d hold tight and see what the market starts putting out in the coming months. As far as coilovers go, they are one of those things everyone wants, but not everyone needs. Do you want coilovers because they look cool or because they’re going to complement what you’re planning to build and you’re planning to use it?

If this is your first Jeep I’d suggest deciding how you plan to use your Jeep before going all in with a lift or mods. If you’re planning on off roading it, what type of off-roading are you planning to do? Forest roads, rock crawling, high speed desert (should have bought a Raptor for this :giggle:) or slopping around in the mud? In many cases a regular coil spring and shock combo is sufficient enough for most situations without dropping unnecessary cash on something that isn’t absolutely needed. Of course if money is no object, the by all means spend it how you see fit.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
You guys need to understand what your getting in these JLs. They already flex like crazy stock. There is zero upside for coil overs unless you just like them. And that’s cool. But with a 2” lift you’re getting probably 11-12” of travel with longer shocks. That’s crazy flex. These JLs are already light years ahead of the JK. Just like the JK was the same ahead of the TJ. These lift companies are going to have some cool marketing, but first learn and enjoy what you have before spending big cash on big marketing.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
You guys need to understand what your getting in these JLs. They already flex like crazy stock. There is zero upside for coil overs unless you just like them. And that’s cool. But with a 2” lift you’re getting probably 11-12” of travel with longer shocks. That’s crazy flex. These JLs are already light years ahead of the JK. Just like the JK was the same ahead of the TJ. These lift companies are going to have some cool marketing, but first learn and enjoy what you have before spending big cash on big marketing.
Just think about how much flex you will get with coilovers!

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Just think about how much flex you will get with coilovers!
That’s the point. You’re not going to get that much more. Even RK did the math. They are badass but Jeep made them a non issue on the JL. That’s not to say they aren’t going to be offered or have more flex, just not near as much of a difference as there was in the JK. That’s the awesome part of this new JL.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
That’s the point. You’re not going to get that much more. Even RK did the math. They are badass but Jeep made them a non issue on the JL. That’s not to say they aren’t going to be offered or have more flex, just not near as much of a difference as there was in the JK. That’s the awesome part of this new JL.
Point taken, but they will ride very nice as well. Since I plan on keeping my JL for a very long time, I am going to get the best functioning lift I can that provides the most travel and ride quality on and off the road.

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
triple rated spring like rock krawlers with some nice 2.5:" bypass shocks with resi.. all you need..

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
I’ll put on 35’s but will wait till I can get an AEV lift. They just do it right in my opinion. Not rushing anything out, making it right before release. I appreciate that.
Sponsored