Sponsored

Vroom Tales of Woe

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Luckily you got it figured out, I just saw a temp tag in my area that was 2 full years expired... I really don't think anyone cares where I'm at other than the state because they make money if you register late. Meanwhile I bought my Jeep in a neighboring state that issues 60 day temp tags... my home state makes you register within 30 days.. I didn't realize that so I ended up paying $25 dollars because I was a week past 30 days. The person with 2 year expired tags will cost a minimum of $600 in extra registration costs. Idiots
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Luckily you got it figured out, I just saw a temp tag in my area that was 2 full years expired... I really don't think anyone cares where I'm at other than the state because they make money if you register late. Meanwhile I bought my Jeep in a neighboring state that issues 60 day temp tags... my home state makes you register within 30 days.. I didn't realize that so I ended up paying $25 dollars because I was a week past 30 days. The person with 2 year expired tags will cost a minimum of $600 in extra registration costs. Idiots
I understand OP’s desire to get the Jeep registration done, in Maine the most expensive ticket you can get is “avoiding Excise Tax” ie not registering your vehicle in time.
Gregj

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I understand OP’s desire to get the Jeep registration done, in Maine the most expensive ticket you can get is “avoiding Excise Tax” ie not registering your vehicle in time.
Gregj
Gotta love the Government.

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I've never used Vroom but have used Carvana twice. Once when trading my JK for a Kia Sol, another when trading the same Kia back for my JL.

Both experiences went smoothly. Things did seem to a little slower this last time. I'm thinking because it was during the pandemic, and everything was handled online until my Jeep was dropped off.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I just sold my JK to Vroom and it went super smoothly but it was also sketchy. My wife, the lawyer, was not happy I did it this way. Vroom has you sign a contract to sell them your car, then send them your title, then they send a random guy in a pickup truck to take your car away. Amazingly after two days they paid me in full though! As for your license troubles they were terrible to you, but I also know my new 392 is still not legal because our DMV is 9 months behind on car licenses.
You bought your 392 from a Jeep dealer In CA?

I bought in June of last year and received my plates from DMV in about three weeks. I live in OC and bought from an OC dealer.

Sponsored

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
You bought your 392 from a Jeep dealer In CA?

I bought in June of last year and received my plates from DMV in about three weeks. I live in OC and bought from an OC dealer.
I wish I had! Everyone was charging an add on fee here so I bought in VA! Saved about ten grand and can’t get my plates. My personalized plates should have been 4 weeks but they now say 9 months so that’s holding things up as well.

OP
OP
en480c4

en480c4

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Range Rover Classic
For me the biggest issues were:
  • Hours on hold to get any kind of answers. No accountability to get things done.
  • Answers I did receive were flat-out lies. They had no idea what was going on but assured me things were done that had, in fact, not been done.
  • I had to park my Jeep for 2 1/2 weeks because they couldn't get me an updated temp tag in time, over Christmas vacation when I really could've used it.
  • If I hadn't lucked into someone at Red USA who was willing to help me, I have no idea when Vroom would've figured it out. I wasn't Red USA's client, so per their policy, he shouldn't have worked with me. But thankfully he did.
  • TX will only do 3 additional temp tags, so even if I could've gotten Vroom to get me my temp tags in a timely manner, I was running out of time to get my permanent registration squared away.
The actual purchase and delivery experiences were fine. The Jeep arrived in the condition advertised. My only regret is not getting it detailed after receiving it... The exterior was pretty disgusting after being delivered on an open 18-wheeler auto transport.

Like I said in the original post, I see lots of people discussing selling to Vroom and Carvana on the forum, but almost no purchase experiences. There have been more and more news stories about experiences like mine elsewhere, but I thought it was good to post here so if anyone is curious what buying from them is like, they might find this here and understand what they're getting into.

Anyway, on to more enjoyable experiences with Jeep #16 for me.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Based on how smooth the transaction I had with caranna went when selling, I would never buy from them. I could have sold them a pile of steaming crap and the guy they sent to do the paperwork wouldn't have even noticed. I know they do some reconditioning, but I can't imagine they can afford much with the high prices they are paying for pretty much unknown condition cars.
Sponsored