Vroom Tales of Woe

en480c4

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Range Rover Classic
I just figured I would post my Vroom story here to let people understand the risk when buying from Vroom (and by extension Carvana, based on the press lately). And then others can add to it as well as I'm sure I'm not alone. When searching the site, I didn't see a lot of negative experiences, but what I experienced aligned with a lot of what I read in other forums, articles, etc.

Background: Sold my 2005 LJ mid-August, and a week or so later, found my 2018 JLR. It had everything I was looking for, including low miles (8,200), a premium soft top, 7" U-Connect, cold weather package, steel bumper package and was a 6-speed. Vroom had just knocked another $1,000 off, so I pulled the trigger and bought it on 8/22/21. I got great financing terms going through Vroom, so to keep things simple, I didn't utilize my own financing. And the Jeep was delivered on 9/2/21 with a 45 day TX plate.

As I approached the TX plate expiration mid-October, I was able to reach out and get a new 30 day plate sent out. It arrived in plenty of time, and while I would've liked to get my plates on and get the vehicle inspected, I didn't worry about it a whole lot. My town hall received the paperwork from Red USA, who handles titles and registrations for Vroom, on 11/3/21, about two weeks out from my next temp plate expiration. They had miscalculated the sales tax and the amount exceeded the pre-authorized paperwork, so I spent hours on hold over the next few weeks with Vroom trying to get revised paperwork out. They finally sent me a new 30 day plate and I received it a few days after mine expired. This wasn't trending in the right direction.

Fast forward to mid-December. I wasn't getting any updates of note. Hours were spent on hold trying to find someone who could move my case forward. On 12/13/21, a week before my 30 day plate expired, I requested a new plate be sent. I made it clear that my plate expired on 12/20/21, and I need the vehicle for work. When I followed up on 12/17/21, I was told that the request for new plates had been submitted and that updated registration paperwork had been "sent to the DMV, and I would receive my plates by the end of the month." This was worrisome because a) the DMV does not handle registrations in Maine and b) I was transferring my previous plates. But I was assured everything would be OK.

Well, long story short, I did not receive a new 30 day plate. And Vroom essentially lied to me, as they (or Red USA) had not sent anything to the DMV or town hall. I drove the Jeep with an expired temp registration for a few days before Christmas, and parked the Jeep during my entire vacation. Multiple calls to Vroom led to people assuring me that all requests were in process. Finally, I bypassed Vroom and contacted Red USA. Because I had my transaction number from town hall, I was able to convince the person who took my call to try to fix the issue. They confirmed they received no request from Vroom to revise the paperwork. That said, they were able to authorize the additional sales tax with the town clerk and I was able to register my vehicle on 1/3/22. The soonest I could get it inspected was 1/5/22, so I took care of that and finally was able to drive my vehicle again legally last night.

Lesson learned. Because of their sales model and outsourcing of titles and registrations, they can't really be held accountable for a failure to act. I was fortunate to find someone who was able to step outside of their lane and do what needed to be done. Otherwise I would still be left getting lines of BS fed to me by representatives from Vroom assuring me that completion of my registration was imminent. Some say to buy from Vroom, but line up your own financing so you are reliant on them to handle registration. I would caution against that because the same people who handle the registrations handle the title, so if there are any issues, you still won't be able to complete the paperwork required to register your vehicle. The in-person dealer experience may not always be great, but at least there's some resource.

The icing on the cake is I'm finally receiving a new 30 day TX plate via FedEx today, more than 2 1/2 weeks after my last one expired and after I finally was able to register the vehicle.
Sponsored

Krones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I had a remarkably easy experience selling to Vroom in the middle of last year and would sell to them again, but I'd hesitate to buy from them. Stories like yours (especially regarding registration issues after purchase) seem to be all over the place online.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR

Sponsored

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
I just sold my JK to Vroom and it went super smoothly but it was also sketchy. My wife, the lawyer, was not happy I did it this way. Vroom has you sign a contract to sell them your car, then send them your title, then they send a random guy in a pickup truck to take your car away. Amazingly after two days they paid me in full though! As for your license troubles they were terrible to you, but I also know my new 392 is still not legal because our DMV is 9 months behind on car licenses.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
After having lived in Maine for a while (6 years) and having registered vehicles there, I can tell you that the process is unique! I bet Red USA doesn't understand how the process works and the tax that was calculated wrong was the Excise Tax. For Those who don't live there, first you have to pay "Property Tax" on your vehicle every year at the Town Office (yes, every year) then you can go to the DMV and pay your registration and sales tax and get your license plates and registration.

That two step process was way different than my native Texas.

Oh, and that Excise Tax is based on MSRP, they don't care what you actually paid for the vehicle.

It was an experience living there but I am glad to be home.
Gregj

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Honestly I expected this to be a story of a vehicle with hidden mechanical issues, not a license mishap. While it was a pain and caused you grief, it is not that big of a deal compared to buying a car with flood damage or that has been driven hard and yet was adversities as new.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2022 JLU Sport S
We recently sold our 2017 JKU to Vroom and the entire transaction went smoothly. We received their offer and within a week we accepted it. We sent them the paperwork they required and got an appointment to have it picked up on a Monday morning. The Thursday before we received a phone call from their driver asking if he could pick it up on Friday morning. We said okay and he showed up exactly when we said he would - driving a semi with a 6-car trailer in tow. Our Jeep took up the last spot on his car hauler. The next day we received a Fedex envelope containing a check for the offered amount.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
caveat venditor et emptor

Not necessarily shady, but clearly some amount of administrative incompetence and lack of professionalism.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Sold a car to Vroom early last year, and I would do it again!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Before I bought my current Sahara, I attempted to buy a used Sahara from Carvana. But after 10 days of dealing with their incompetence, their indifference, and having to wait for hours on the phone every time they screwed up, I ended canceling the deal.

Just as well, shortly thereafter I found my current Sahara sitting unsold at a dealer in Salt Lake City listed for 22% off MSRP. In my case, their foot-dragging and screwups worked in my favor.

I saw a segment recently on the local news about a young lady in the Seattle area that bought a Hyundai Elantra from Carvana six months ago: she was still unable to register the vehicle due to some documentation problem or another. It got to the point that she just wanted to return the car, get her money back and buy elsewhere.

The problems I found dealing with Carvana were that:
  1. No one owns the process. To be fair, that’s the same at most dealers. But at a regular dealer you are dealing with 2 or 3 people at most. At Carvana and Vroom, you can potentially be dealing with dozens of different people.
  2. Because so many people are involved, there’s no one to push the purchase process to its conclusion. At a regular dealer, the salesman, the sales manager and the business manager want to close the deal to get their commission. This is neither the case at Carvana nor at Vroom, so things can linger on for weeks.

Last edited:

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I just figured I would post my Vroom story here …

Well, long story short … Vroom essentially lied to me, as they (or Red USA) had not sent anything to the DMV or town hall.

<snip>

Lesson learned. Because of their sales model and outsourcing of titles and registrations, they can't really be held accountable.

<snip>
Thulsa Doom … er …Vroom

Jeep Wrangler JL Vroom Tales of Woe 1641502735394

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
I tried to sell to vroom.

they sent me a completely blank texas title transfer form and told me to just sign it and mail it back but they would not tell me exactly what and when I was going to get paid.

I read the terrain on that type of practice and just walked away.
Sponsored