VIN number location on jl wrangler

Punteria

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CRV, 2004 Volvo XC 70
I am the happy owner of a JLUR Granite and have been looking for the VIN number in the car. I have no idea where the number is written. I know it from the Title, registration, window sticker etc but have not seen it in the actual car.
where should I look??? Thanks
Sponsored

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
It’s vertical on the rollbar now on the drivers side.
There’s also one stamped into the frame under the front passenger door

OP
OP

Punteria

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CRV, 2004 Volvo XC 70
Thank you very very much, Sam. I´ve found both places with the VIN. The one one the driver´s side roll bar is a sticker and the one under the passenger door, on the frame was the one I was really looking for. Thanks again.
All the best

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
Not on the JL. It is vertical on the rollbar now on driver’s side still but not on the dash anymore.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Not on the JL. It is vertical on the rollbar now on driver’s side still but not on the dash anymore.
Good to know. Seems weird though. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed a vehicle before where the VIN wasn’t on the dash.

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
This is interesting, I would have looked in the common place, thanks for sharing. Now if I only had my jeep delivered, I would be able to look for both places.......

hiro5id

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6L
Good to know. Seems weird though. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed a vehicle before where the VIN wasn’t on the dash.
Perhaps they decided to move the VIN to a less publicly visible spot to reduce the chance of someone programming a new key fob and steal your car. Apperently car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the dash, go into the local dealership for that car brand and request a duplicate key for it from the VIN number.

Or use some other scheme ... but knowing the VIN makes this "hack" easier to pull of.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Hmmm... my 2018 JLU it's on the sticker on drivers door jam with all the other info date of MFG etc.?? Surprising to me I thought always had to be visible to law enforcement on dash at front drivers side windshield? My Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk is on front dashboard visible thru windshield, like other vehicles???

Glad I read this, just in case someone asks me!!! LOL

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hmmm... my 2018 JLU it's on the sticker on drivers door jam with all the other info date of MFG etc.?? Surprising to me I thought always had to be visible to law enforcement on dash at front drivers side windshield? My Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk is on front dashboard visible thru windshield, like other vehicles???

Glad I read this, just in case someone asks me!!! LOL

Go Jeep!!!
Law enforcement doesn't give 2 shits about your VIN. Lol.

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
Law enforcement doesn't give 2 shits about your VIN. Lol.
Not entirely true, but I assume that you just mean in general cases. As long as you aren’t covering up a VIN to aid in unlawful activity, then you are free to cover it up. But if you alter it in anyway, that’s just illegal no matter what and creates potentially serious legal issues, depending on your jurisdiction.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps they decided to move the VIN to a less publicly visible spot to reduce the chance of someone programming a new key fob and steal your car. Apperently car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the dash, go into the local dealership for that car brand and request a duplicate key for it from the VIN number.

Or use some other scheme ... but knowing the VIN makes this "hack" easier to pull of.
They didn't use the typical vin plate at the base of the windshield, because it could be damaged or lost since the windshield is foldable unlike all other vehicles.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Not entirely true, but I assume that you just mean in general cases. As long as you aren’t covering up a VIN to aid in unlawful activity, then you are free to cover it up. But if you alter it in anyway, that’s just illegal no matter what and creates potentially serious legal issues, depending on your jurisdiction.
Ya, I mean in a normal roadside stop.
Sponsored