VIN appears at many different dealers

heckofagator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I found this vehicle while searching autotrader locally
1C4HJXEGXKW541569

when searching google for the VIN, there are tons of dealers that pop up which makes it seems like they all have the truck available, Has anyone seen this before? Any idea what it means?
Sponsored

ButWhatDoIKnow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Jeep Cherokee, 2015 Abarth 500C
I found this vehicle while searching autotrader locally
1C4HJXEGXKW541569

when searching google for the VIN, there are tons of dealers that pop up which makes it seems like they all have the truck available, Has anyone seen this before? Any idea what it means?
Certain dealers trade among one another. i.e If you go into a dealership and say you want a red JLU, they say "not today, but I have one coming in on a truck next week. Let's make a deal." (While you're in the showroom) They fear if they say no, they'll never see you again. So these dealers all list a range of jeeps among themselves.
If you like THAT jeep, you can pit them against one another.

OP
OP

heckofagator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Thanks, I guess I figured Jeep dealers did this with new Jeeps but I didn't expect to see a Toyota dealer in TX, a Kia dealer in GA, an Acura dealer in NC and another Toyota dealer in FL all be advertising the same used Jeep for sale

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Could be they're all owned by the same parent company. I once was looking for a certain used non-Honda vehicle and the local Honda dealer showed around 20 though that seemed odd based on the dealer's lot size. I visited and they had one. The others were scattered around half dozen states. The parent company was Hendrick Auto Group and they have dealerships for Honda, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Acura, Lexus, Mini, etc

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Could also be sponsored ads triggered off of VIN numbers.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Could be they're all owned by the same parent company. I once was looking for a certain used non-Honda vehicle and the local Honda dealer showed around 20 though that seemed odd based on the dealer's lot size. I visited and they had one. The others were scattered around half dozen states. The parent company was Hendrick Auto Group and they have dealerships for Honda, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Acura, Lexus, Mini, etc
This is basically what I was gonna say. It’s the same way for new vehicles. It is advertised at every location even though it is physically at only one of them. They would just secure the vehicle by down payment and have it driven to the selling facility

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m fact kinda funny story. While I was standing there talking to the sales manager after test driving my Jeep (the guy is a buddy of mine) he got a call from another dealer asking if it was still available for a dealer trade.

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
They do it with new inventory as well. 3 days after I bought my Jeep from one SoCal dealership, I got an email from a rival dealership in SoCal, asking if I'd be interested in coming down to buy the SAME Jeep from them. They sent me the sticker, cropped, so the VIN wouldn't show, but there was another copy of the VIN on the sticker, and it was the Jeep I just purchased.
Sponsored