Sponsored

Video: They say the JL Rubicon can fit 35's without a lift, this video says otherwise

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Guys there is no need to argue about any of this stuff. This forum is for informational purposes only and what anyone does with that information is their business. If they disregard sound advise and damage their equipment it is ultimately their burden to bear. So, I think it’s been well covered here.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
These threads should die a quick death when this kind of crap starts happening.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Sooooo, moving forward, now . . . Installing 35" tires
These threads should die a quick death when this kind of crap starts happening.
It's all in good fun, until someone pokes an eye out.

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I’m going to install method mesh wheels with 4.75” backspacing and nittos , which are pretty true to size, here in about 1-2 weeks. I can see how much I can flex. I don’t plan on wheeling it until I have a lift. There’s too much snow up here right now anyways, but adding a two inch eventually.

Phillyfisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1st Jeep coming soon
So here’s a question- do you think people will forgo the Rubicon now since it appears that 35’s will rub and opt for a Sport with a lift?

Last edited:

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
So here’s a question- do you people will forgo the Rubicon now since it appears that 35’s will rub and opt for a Sport with a lift?
All depends on the setup, we still have yet to see a properly backspaced rubicon flex fully. On a stock wheel that has 6.5 backspacing it will definitely rub. But most aftermarket wheels people buy are 4.5 or so, pushing them out a little.

You also have to take into account no matter what the rubi will clear more tire because it has higher fenders. So to get same clearance in a sport you need aftermarket fenders or more lift.

Looking at the mojito jeep that they used for mopar, a rubi with 35s and 2” lift looks like the perfect size, for me at least

Phillyfisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1st Jeep coming soon
All depends on the setup, we still have yet to see a properly backspaced rubicon flex fully. On a stock wheel that has 6.5 backspacing it will definitely rub. But most aftermarket wheels people buy are 4.5 or so, pushing them out a little.

You also have to take into account no matter what the rubi will clear more tire because it has higher fenders. So to get same clearance in a sport you need aftermarket fenders or more lift.
Excellent points! I hadn’t got that far in my thought process. I was merely wondering if those who were thinking 35’s were “plug and play”. as it was kind of made to sound, would now be dissuaded by the video. Backspacing is critical.

Ultimately this won’t affect me, as a stock sport will suit my needs fine. I do love how Jeeps get tested by owners right out of the box.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Excellent points! I hadn’t got that far in my thought process. I was merely wondering if those who were thinking 35’s were “plug and play”. as it was kind of made to sound, would now be dissuaded by the video. Backspacing is critical.

Ultimately this won’t affect me, as a stock sport will suit my needs fine. I do love how Jeeps get tested by owners right out of the box.
I am regretting ordering the upgraded wheels now.

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I am regretting ordering the upgraded wheels now.
I thought I did and was bummed then came across my build sheet a month ago and was so happy I actually didnt!

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
So this just popped up on Instagram... I believe there’ll be more coming as not every 35” tire is equal.

C42D1CD4-B2A1-441C-BA40-16EE36E7433D.png

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
So this just popped up on Instagram... I believe there’ll be more coming as not every 35” tire is equal.

C42D1CD4-B2A1-441C-BA40-16EE36E7433D.png
You just ruined simplejl’s day, he was so adamant that they would never fit. I just picture him crawled up in a corner somewhere in the fetal position bawling.

That’s awesome though, and that’s with the 6 offset, 4.5 will fit even better!

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
No thanks. I want my tailgate to still work down the road.
It will not cause any negative issue with tailgate, it will only add stability to spare which in turn will add years to tailgate and hinge life. Tailgate opens and closes fine.
The better alternative is spare tire carrier on bumper, that would mean extending camera wiring harness. Several companies are making brackets to relocate spare higher on tailgate, but this will not add any stability to spare.

I had 37's on a JK factory carrier for 100k+ very rough miles with no issues, all because of an acrylic pad on bumper for tire to rest on when tailgate closed
To each his own.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
So here’s a question- do you think people will forgo the Rubicon now since it appears that 35’s will rub and opt for a Sport with a lift?
no becasue they really are different. differnt axels, tires, trim levels, shocks, ride heights etc. people find a way to make what they have work for what they need. BTW that rubcion with 35s looks pretty darn nice.
Sponsored