Sponsored

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
that new RS6 is simply sublime. Congrats. Post pics.
we're picking up our SQ7 this week!! Will be my wifes soccer mom hot rod, lol
Sponsored

Buzztail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 S 2d
LOVED my 2012 B8 S4. Was such a fun car to drive. Curvy mountain roads in that was like being glued to the ground. My 2021 RS6 puts it to shame though. ;) Lucky enough to have a JL and the Audi now so the RS6 can be a queen in the garage.
I’ve got nine registered vehicles (cars, trucks, and motorcycles), plus my wife’s car. Add in three trailers, a camper, a boat, and I’m up to my ears in tags/insurance. I’m now operating on a one in one out plan to keep it in check. With everything else having a “purpose” my DD-ish vehicle is usually what gets switched up. The S4 had a pulley, and tune. While It was a barrel of fun it was also way too comfortable at “mandatory appearance” speeds.

JusMoney

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I’ve got nine registered vehicles (cars, trucks, and motorcycles), plus my wife’s car. Add in three trailers, a camper, a boat, and I’m up to my ears in tags/insurance. I’m now operating on a one in one out plan to keep it in check. With everything else having a “purpose” my DD-ish vehicle is usually what gets switched up. The S4 had a pulley, and tune. While It was a barrel of fun it was also way too comfortable at “mandatory appearance” speeds.
That's wayyy more than my brain can scramble. We only have 3 which is the most I've ever had. I planned on the RS6 as a daily but then picked up the JL because I wasn't sure if it was actually ever coming. Sure enough 5 months later I heard from my SA that it was on a boat. Ha.

I didn't ever tune my S4 but had all the Eurocode suspension goodies. Glad I didn't as I had the mechatronics unit blow around 45k and it was like a $10k job that warranty covered. Always felt like I was missing out though. The Roc Euro intake produced some amazing noises. I wonder if Roc Euro would produce an intake for the supercharged JL? Hahaha. Can't imagine a JL screaming down the road like that.

Sponsored

Buzztail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 S 2d
I will post some pics later on once I have a moment. We can properly hi-jack this thread with Audi's once that happens!
Yeah, I don’t wanna pollute this thread with eurocar chatter, but I’ll just say that there’s nothing in the automotive world I like better than the sound of a roots blower and that’s the truth! Here’s a couple of the Audi. One in front of my “garage”
Jeep Wrangler JL Video: Procharger Supercharged 3.6 V6 JL Demonstrated 00AD30FC-2043-4ACB-AAD7-7FA1BA126D6A

Jeep Wrangler JL Video: Procharger Supercharged 3.6 V6 JL Demonstrated 45C2C497-5540-471A-BE49-C94F5D589FBF

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
embarrassed by a V6 Mustang?
That might make hang myself with my belt. ;) Those are the worst cars ever made.
Stock ecoboost mustang is low 5 seconds 0-60, stock jeep is ~6.5 seconds. An extra 120hp should shave about 1.5 seconds off 0-60 at wrangler weight. Jeep still won't be fast, but will hang with stock mustangs for sure. Being it's a jeep, even if the mustang beats you by a little, that would be embarrassing to the mustang.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@BroncoHound spot on on your earlier post. I’ve had a maggie sc on a lifted armored regeared fj cruiser and hell yeah the sc kicked butt. I’m with you on the Maggie for the tuning aspect. I had to learn and spend so much tuning the fj haha

nothing like hauling up the 395 or desert highways with the crazy headwind. That’s where the power comes in hand.

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
SQ7 sound is amazing and such an amazing car. It's what my wife is driving as well. I like your style!
Picked up our SQ7 Friday. Wow, what an amazing vehicle!!
I had already been researching tuners, but after watching my wife hit 100+ multiple times on the way home, I don't think tuning will be a good idea!! lol

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
The depreciation on European cars is silly! Lol

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Lots to unpack here. Being a former Jeepercharged owner, who will likely bite the bullet once again, I'll throw in my $0.02. Take it only for what it's worth and you'll never overpay

The video is from August of 2019, so the information the host gives is a bit out of date. He mentions they went with the Procharger because it was the only turn-key package on the market; there is actually quite a bit of competition out there now. As mentioned before, Hamburger and RIPP both have comparable centrifugal supercharger kits for the Pentastar JL, while Magnusson and Edelbrock both have roots-style packages available now.

There's some truth to this, though "twice that amount" is a bit of a stretch. I installed an Edelbrock supercharger on my JK a few years back and, in the process of trying to "perfect" it (mostly the tuning), I wound up spending quite a bit more than the initial $6000 package price going between Diablosport tuners and tune-by-mail tunes, wideband O2 sensors and data loggers, dyno time, HP tuners and custom files, and ECM swaps. Eventually, I wound up with a new ECM loaded with the base Edelbrock tune and mostly disappointed with the quality of the tuning (about about $8500-9000 in after all my tuning shenanigans).

The biggest thing folks should know about forced induction on the Jeep platform is this: the greatest differences will not lie in the brand of hard parts, but in the quality of the tuning. The Chrysler ECM is tricky, far more so than most other brands, and it takes a patient and experienced tuner to really navigate the system and come out the other end with something smooth and clean and drivable. After my experience trying to get what I would consider a polished and final tune for my JK, my list of people who I would consider qualified to tune a Chrysler ECM is fairly narrow. I'm not on that list.

As for the host of this video being a perfectionist to a fault...I dunno, man. I'm not saying he doesn't know his stuff, but the rough cuts of the fan shroud to fit the blower sure doesn't look very perfectionist to me. Now I'm sure this guy didn't do this install himself; someone in his shop did. And, being they are a shop that does Hellcat swaps and custom builds, likely the shop hand that got tasked to put a bolt-on kit on a stock Jeep was the lowest guy on the experience pole.

Jeep Wrangler JL Video: Procharger Supercharged 3.6 V6 JL Demonstrated 45C2C497-5540-471A-BE49-C94F5D589FBF

Nah, you'd still be fine man. A supercharger doesn't turn a Jeep into a hotrod. You'll still get embarassed by V6 Mustangs and the like, so there won't be much in the way of motivation to flex. A supercharger does make a Jeep feel sporty and quick and fun to drive, but it's not like you're turning the thing into a GT car with 10 grand in bolt-ons. The biggest benefit I'd see in your case would be that the extra HP would help when you're traversing SD freeways at 85mph and a headwind, the Jeep would actually be able to maintain speed. That was the biggest difference (and my primary driver) when I installed the Edelbrock blower on my JK; I could set the cruise at 80mph on I-90 and it would maintain speed. It also made it MUCH easier to pull the passes without having to slow down to 40mph and throw my flashers on so a semi didn't rear end me going uphill.

Granted the JL isn't the JK and those of you with automatics have a far more drivable system now than the JK's had, but the Pentastar is still an underpowered engine and the Jeep still has more driveline loss than pretty much any vehicle on the US market, so putting more ponies to the back tires does make a tremendous difference if you spend a bunch of time at freeway speeds or elevation.

No, you won't see a fuel economy increase (at least I didn't and, of the other folks I know in real life along with reading on the interwebz, I don't know anything who had a believable claim of such) from the extra power. Actually, my around town fuel mileage was maybe a slight bit better, but living in the mountains of Montana I don't really have much "around town" driving. Where I was living at the time, most everything was an hour or so away, so much of my daily driving was more highway than city and, on the highway, aerodynamics really play a huge role in fuel economy. Even with 34% more HP to the rear wheels, the engine was still having to work to pull that 4000lbs bread box through space at 70mph.

The age-old question: centrifugal vs roots. Personally, I agree with both of you. The torque curve of the Pentastar is all wrong for a Jeep; it's borderline criminal how the Jeep engineers designed the Pentastar and tuning to not make any useful power until >2000rpms in an off-road niche vehicle. It's particularly egregious to those of us with 3 pedals, but I understand why as it isn't sexy in the least to do R&D on antiquated tech. Still, the Pentastar needs the most help down low, and the roots/twin screw/TVS style blowers definitely point their attention down low. But, I guess if stoplight to stoplight and donuts and drag strip test-n-tune nights and 100mph passes are your thing, the centrifugal blowers make more efficient power up high so there is definitely a place for them in the enthusiast world. It all depends on what you want out of your little Pentastar.

Personally, of the available blowers on the market, the Magnusson is the most appealing to me. They went with a slightly larger TVS blower than their JK kit (1390cc vs 1320cc). Edelbrock, on the other hand, chose to stick with the 1320 TVS and, while I certainly wasn't disappointed with the power output of the 1320 on my JK, more power is more gooder and I like things to be slightly overbuilt/overdesigned. Another factor is that Livernois has a custom tune profile specifically for the Maggie blower kit, and the folks at Livernois are one of the few on my list of trusted Pentastar tuners. They can also provide a turnkey solution for under $10k ($8650 installed), so the price is comparable to the centrifugal kits.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP0122225
just remember that to get a livernois kit, they only offer it installed at their shop and need your truck for 2-4weeks for install and tuning. It’s not a “delivered to your door ready to roll” type deal. That said, i would agree that their tuning is top notch. Its just a matter of can you get the truck to them and go that long without it.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
just remember that to get a livernois kit, they only offer it installed at their shop and need your truck for 2-4weeks for install and tuning. It’s not a “delivered to your door ready to roll” type deal. That said, i would agree that their tuning is top notch. Its just a matter of can you get the truck to them and go that long without it.
I haven't spoken to them about this so I don't want to put words in their mouth, but I'm sure if you were to self-install they could send you the tuning by mail, the same way they offer for a stock non-FI Pentastar. And, if you had access to a dyno locally you could probably arrange to have the dyno tuner get in touch with Livernois and make some adjustments.

That said, if I were to go down this road I'd budget the time/money to haul the Jeep to Michigan and leave it with them as long as they needed for it to come back to me polished and refined and clean, particularly after my previous experience with FI on the Pentastar. If I couldn't fit that into the budget, I personally wouldn't choose to go FI quite yet.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I haven't spoken to them about this so I don't want to put words in their mouth, but I'm sure if you were to self-install they could send you the tuning by mail, the same way they offer for a stock non-FI Pentastar. And, if you had access to a dyno locally you could probably arrange to have the dyno tuner get in touch with Livernois and make some adjustments.

That said, if I were to go down this road I'd budget the time/money to haul the Jeep to Michigan and leave it with them as long as they needed for it to come back to me polished and refined and clean, particularly after my previous experience with FI on the Pentastar. If I couldn't fit that into the budget, I personally wouldn't choose to go FI quite yet.
that came directly from them, unfortunately. No shipping, no pre-canned file, no remote tuning. Order up, wait 4-8 weeks for the parts, get the truck to michigan for 2-4 weeks, and then get it back.

But to your point, yes, youre pretty much guaranteed itll be perfect when theyre done, and thats not worth nothing...

Last edited:

JLUR_919

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had a local shop here in North Carolina (CDT Performance & Off-road) install a ProCharger in my JL in December 2020. All in for around $8,500. Just over 1,500 miles on it and the ProCharger tune is near perfect. This thing is a beast, love it so far!
How has this kit been working for you? I'm in the Raleigh area and looking at doing this to mine.
Sponsored