First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB
Build Thread
Link
Stupid question, but when not driving with your foot buried in the floor, which must be hard NOT to do, did you notice a slight improvement in fuel mileage. I ask this because I've always wondered if a tad more power would make the 3.6 more efficient in the Wrangler.
I’m not sure, I don’t pay any attention to fuel mileage. There doesn’t seem to be that much of a difference, but I have no idea what kind of mileage I was getting before the supercharger install. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.
Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Lots to unpack here. Being a former Jeepercharged owner, who will likely bite the bullet once again, I'll throw in my $0.02. Take it only for what it's worth and you'll never overpay

The video is from August of 2019, so the information the host gives is a bit out of date. He mentions they went with the Procharger because it was the only turn-key package on the market; there is actually quite a bit of competition out there now. As mentioned before, Hamburger and RIPP both have comparable centrifugal supercharger kits for the Pentastar JL, while Magnusson and Edelbrock both have roots-style packages available now.

Perhaps, but I would not be surprised if you end up spending twice that amount by the time you are done doing it yourself.

Still, it offers a viable alternative for those of us with limited mechanical abilities.

I’ve seen Dennis’s other work: he is a perfectionist to a fault.
There's some truth to this, though "twice that amount" is a bit of a stretch. I installed an Edelbrock supercharger on my JK a few years back and, in the process of trying to "perfect" it (mostly the tuning), I wound up spending quite a bit more than the initial $6000 package price going between Diablosport tuners and tune-by-mail tunes, wideband O2 sensors and data loggers, dyno time, HP tuners and custom files, and ECM swaps. Eventually, I wound up with a new ECM loaded with the base Edelbrock tune and mostly disappointed with the quality of the tuning (about about $8500-9000 in after all my tuning shenanigans).

The biggest thing folks should know about forced induction on the Jeep platform is this: the greatest differences will not lie in the brand of hard parts, but in the quality of the tuning. The Chrysler ECM is tricky, far more so than most other brands, and it takes a patient and experienced tuner to really navigate the system and come out the other end with something smooth and clean and drivable. After my experience trying to get what I would consider a polished and final tune for my JK, my list of people who I would consider qualified to tune a Chrysler ECM is fairly narrow. I'm not on that list.

As for the host of this video being a perfectionist to a fault...I dunno, man. I'm not saying he doesn't know his stuff, but the rough cuts of the fan shroud to fit the blower sure doesn't look very perfectionist to me. Now I'm sure this guy didn't do this install himself; someone in his shop did. And, being they are a shop that does Hellcat swaps and custom builds, likely the shop hand that got tasked to put a bolt-on kit on a stock Jeep was the lowest guy on the experience pole.

Jeep Wrangler JL Video: Procharger Supercharged 3.6 V6 JL Demonstrated Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 11.03.27 AM

LOL I'd have put my driver's license into a shredder before I even signed on the dotted line. I've got no willpower and horrible luck. The first guy with a fartcannon Fast & Furious car pulling up next to me would be all it takes.
Nah, you'd still be fine man. A supercharger doesn't turn a Jeep into a hotrod. You'll still get embarassed by V6 Mustangs and the like, so there won't be much in the way of motivation to flex. A supercharger does make a Jeep feel sporty and quick and fun to drive, but it's not like you're turning the thing into a GT car with 10 grand in bolt-ons. The biggest benefit I'd see in your case would be that the extra HP would help when you're traversing SD freeways at 85mph and a headwind, the Jeep would actually be able to maintain speed. That was the biggest difference (and my primary driver) when I installed the Edelbrock blower on my JK; I could set the cruise at 80mph on I-90 and it would maintain speed. It also made it MUCH easier to pull the passes without having to slow down to 40mph and throw my flashers on so a semi didn't rear end me going uphill.

Granted the JL isn't the JK and those of you with automatics have a far more drivable system now than the JK's had, but the Pentastar is still an underpowered engine and the Jeep still has more driveline loss than pretty much any vehicle on the US market, so putting more ponies to the back tires does make a tremendous difference if you spend a bunch of time at freeway speeds or elevation.

Stupid question, but when not driving with your foot buried in the floor, which must be hard NOT to do, did you notice a slight improvement in fuel mileage. I ask this because I've always wondered if a tad more power would make the 3.6 more efficient in the Wrangler.
No, you won't see a fuel economy increase (at least I didn't and, of the other folks I know in real life along with reading on the interwebz, I don't know anything who had a believable claim of such) from the extra power. Actually, my around town fuel mileage was maybe a slight bit better, but living in the mountains of Montana I don't really have much "around town" driving. Where I was living at the time, most everything was an hour or so away, so much of my daily driving was more highway than city and, on the highway, aerodynamics really play a huge role in fuel economy. Even with 34% more HP to the rear wheels, the engine was still having to work to pull that 4000lbs bread box through space at 70mph.

Ugh, centrifugal superchargers? No thanks. Positive displacement or bust. Centrifrugals should stay attached to turbines IMO.
Not that the centri's aren't fun in some applications, but the 3.6 could really use some power off the line and a roots blower would really do the trick.
The age-old question: centrifugal vs roots. Personally, I agree with both of you. The torque curve of the Pentastar is all wrong for a Jeep; it's borderline criminal how the Jeep engineers designed the Pentastar and tuning to not make any useful power until >2000rpms in an off-road niche vehicle. It's particularly egregious to those of us with 3 pedals, but I understand why as it isn't sexy in the least to do R&D on antiquated tech. Still, the Pentastar needs the most help down low, and the roots/twin screw/TVS style blowers definitely point their attention down low. But, I guess if stoplight to stoplight and donuts and drag strip test-n-tune nights and 100mph passes are your thing, the centrifugal blowers make more efficient power up high so there is definitely a place for them in the enthusiast world. It all depends on what you want out of your little Pentastar.

Personally, of the available blowers on the market, the Magnusson is the most appealing to me. They went with a slightly larger TVS blower than their JK kit (1390cc vs 1320cc). Edelbrock, on the other hand, chose to stick with the 1320 TVS and, while I certainly wasn't disappointed with the power output of the 1320 on my JK, more power is more gooder and I like things to be slightly overbuilt/overdesigned. Another factor is that Livernois has a custom tune profile specifically for the Maggie blower kit, and the folks at Livernois are one of the few on my list of trusted Pentastar tuners. They can also provide a turnkey solution for under $10k ($8650 installed), so the price is comparable to the centrifugal kits.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP0122225

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
The age-old question: centrifugal vs roots. Personally, I agree with both of you. The torque curve of the Pentastar is all wrong for a Jeep; it's borderline criminal how the Jeep engineers designed the Pentastar and tuning to not make any useful power until >2000rpms in an off-road niche vehicle. It's particularly egregious to those of us with 3 pedals, but I understand why as it isn't sexy in the least to do R&D on antiquated tech. Still, the Pentastar needs the most help down low, and the roots/twin screw/TVS style blowers definitely point their attention down low. But, I guess if stoplight to stoplight and donuts and drag strip test-n-tune nights and 100mph passes are your thing, the centrifugal blowers make more efficient power up high so there is definitely a place for them in the enthusiast world. It all depends on what you want out of your little Pentastar.
Yep. The lack of low end power on the Pentastar means I really don't think a centrifugal supercharger is the right choice, but I'm also just a spectator throwing rocks. I'll never mod this engine so my opinion doesn't really count for much, haha

I had a roots blower on my MR2 and it was fantastic - really helped the twin cam 4A-GZE get going off the line but definitely ran out of breath toward its 7,500 rpm redline. Some enthusiasts made "grunt boxes" that activated the cold start injector to prevent the lean-out at high revs which allegedly helped a lot at the top end when paired with a smaller pulley but I never got that far - my ownership ended in just 6 short (but fun) weeks.

Anyway, like I said I'm just throwing rocks. I think it's cool there's seemingly well-designed aftermarket kits for the JL - I'm just not a buyer.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Lots to unpack here. Being a former Jeepercharged owner, who will likely bite the bullet once again, I'll throw in my $0.02. Take it only for what it's worth and you'll never overpay

The video is from August of 2019, so the information the host gives is a bit out of date. He mentions they went with the Procharger because it was the only turn-key package on the market; there is actually quite a bit of competition out there now. As mentioned before, Hamburger and RIPP both have comparable centrifugal supercharger kits for the Pentastar JL, while Magnusson and Edelbrock both have roots-style packages available now.

There's some truth to this, though "twice that amount" is a bit of a stretch. I installed an Edelbrock supercharger on my JK a few years back and, in the process of trying to "perfect" it (mostly the tuning), I wound up spending quite a bit more than the initial $6000 package price going between Diablosport tuners and tune-by-mail tunes, wideband O2 sensors and data loggers, dyno time, HP tuners and custom files, and ECM swaps. Eventually, I wound up with a new ECM loaded with the base Edelbrock tune and mostly disappointed with the quality of the tuning (about about $8500-9000 in after all my tuning shenanigans).

The biggest thing folks should know about forced induction on the Jeep platform is this: the greatest differences will not lie in the brand of hard parts, but in the quality of the tuning. The Chrysler ECM is tricky, far more so than most other brands, and it takes a patient and experienced tuner to really navigate the system and come out the other end with something smooth and clean and drivable. After my experience trying to get what I would consider a polished and final tune for my JK, my list of people who I would consider qualified to tune a Chrysler ECM is fairly narrow. I'm not on that list.

As for the host of this video being a perfectionist to a fault...I dunno, man. I'm not saying he doesn't know his stuff, but the rough cuts of the fan shroud to fit the blower sure doesn't look very perfectionist to me. Now I'm sure this guy didn't do this install himself; someone in his shop did. And, being they are a shop that does Hellcat swaps and custom builds, likely the shop hand that got tasked to put a bolt-on kit on a stock Jeep was the lowest guy on the experience pole.

Jeep Wrangler JL Video: Procharger Supercharged 3.6 V6 JL Demonstrated Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 11.03.27 AM

Nah, you'd still be fine man. A supercharger doesn't turn a Jeep into a hotrod. You'll still get embarassed by V6 Mustangs and the like, so there won't be much in the way of motivation to flex. A supercharger does make a Jeep feel sporty and quick and fun to drive, but it's not like you're turning the thing into a GT car with 10 grand in bolt-ons. The biggest benefit I'd see in your case would be that the extra HP would help when you're traversing SD freeways at 85mph and a headwind, the Jeep would actually be able to maintain speed. That was the biggest difference (and my primary driver) when I installed the Edelbrock blower on my JK; I could set the cruise at 80mph on I-90 and it would maintain speed. It also made it MUCH easier to pull the passes without having to slow down to 40mph and throw my flashers on so a semi didn't rear end me going uphill.

Granted the JL isn't the JK and those of you with automatics have a far more drivable system now than the JK's had, but the Pentastar is still an underpowered engine and the Jeep still has more driveline loss than pretty much any vehicle on the US market, so putting more ponies to the back tires does make a tremendous difference if you spend a bunch of time at freeway speeds or elevation.

No, you won't see a fuel economy increase (at least I didn't and, of the other folks I know in real life along with reading on the interwebz, I don't know anything who had a believable claim of such) from the extra power. Actually, my around town fuel mileage was maybe a slight bit better, but living in the mountains of Montana I don't really have much "around town" driving. Where I was living at the time, most everything was an hour or so away, so much of my daily driving was more highway than city and, on the highway, aerodynamics really play a huge role in fuel economy. Even with 34% more HP to the rear wheels, the engine was still having to work to pull that 4000lbs bread box through space at 70mph.

Personally, of the available blowers on the market, the Magnusson is the most appealing to me. They went with a slightly larger TVS blower than their JK kit (1390cc vs 1320cc). Edelbrock, on the other hand, chose to stick with the 1320 TVS and, while I certainly wasn't disappointed with the power output of the 1320 on my JK, more power is more gooder and I like things to be slightly overbuilt/overdesigned. Another factor is that Livernois has a custom tune profile specifically for the Maggie blower kit, and the folks at Livernois are one of the few on my list of trusted Pentastar tuners. They can also provide a turnkey solution for under $10k ($8650 installed), so the price is comparable to the centrifugal kits.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP0122225
embarrassed by a V6 Mustang?
That might make hang myself with my belt. ;) Those are the worst cars ever made.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
The 3.0 supercharged V6 in my 2016 Audi S5 was addicting to stomp on and had an incredible sound. I got rid of that car for my JLR, but always thought that power plant would be incredible mated to a Jeep. Tons of linear power at all RPMs with its roots blower, and being a 3.0 it got decent mileage for the 340hp it put out in stock form.

Tempting for sure.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
embarrassed by a V6 Mustang?
That might make hang myself with my belt. ;) Those are the worst cars ever made.
Haha well we don't want that to happen (outside of the bedroom, anyway). However I just noticed that this whole discussion would be moot for you, as you have a 2.0L I4 engine; these blowers are only for the Pentastar. Though I'd certainly be interested to see the aftermarket start looking at twin turbo kits and such for the 2.0.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
As per the Youtube video "and still have the vehicle under warranty", this would not include the FCA powertrain warranty.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
This is where Jeep is about to get their lunch eaten by the Bronco... on Bronco getting those power numbers is an $1895 option for the V6 and a $895 factory tune that will keep all your warranty intact. And it’ll probably be more reliable than this to boot.

We need the I6 Turbo Stellantis!!!

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I had a local shop here in North Carolina (CDT Performance & Off-road) install a ProCharger in my JL in December 2020. All in for around $8,500. Just over 1,500 miles on it and the ProCharger tune is near perfect. This thing is a beast, love it so far!
Next time you’re in Raleigh or I’m down near you, need to check it out!

Sponsored

Buzztail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 S 2d
The 3.0 supercharged V6 in my 2016 Audi S5 was addicting to stomp on and had an incredible sound. I got rid of that car for my JLR, but always thought that power plant would be incredible mated to a Jeep. Tons of linear power at all RPMs with its roots blower, and being a 3.0 it got decent mileage for the 340hp it put out in stock form.

Tempting for sure.
I for sure miss my B8.5 S4 when running down the interstate, but I like the JL in EVERY other situation. Sold my JK and bought the S4. Then sold the S4 because I missed the Jeep so much. Now I miss the drivetrain in the Audi when I’m merging!

JusMoney

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I for sure miss my B8.5 S4 when running down the interstate, but I like the JL in EVERY other situation. Sold my JK and bought the S4. Then sold the S4 because I missed the Jeep so much. Now I miss the drivetrain in the Audi when I’m merging!
LOVED my 2012 B8 S4. Was such a fun car to drive. Curvy mountain roads in that was like being glued to the ground. My 2021 RS6 puts it to shame though. ;) Lucky enough to have a JL and the Audi now so the RS6 can be a queen in the garage.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
LOVED my 2012 B8 S4. Was such a fun car to drive. Curvy mountain roads in that was like being glued to the ground. My 2021 RS6 puts it to shame though. ;) Lucky enough to have a JL and the Audi now so the RS6 can be a queen in the garage.
that new RS6 is simply sublime. Congrats. Post pics.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Magnusson super charger + AWE exhaust = eerily b8 s4 experience.
Sponsored