Sponsored

Video of Manual Transmission--Clutch is GREAT!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, you asked for it, you got it! Remember, this is all just my opinion.

I've got about 160 miles on it now, mainly country roads and city streets, and I'm loving the clutch, shifter, and transmission more and more. At this point, I would not change a thing. I did a short highway stint, as well, and I thought the gearing was perfectly matched for this Jeep. I could not be happier! It is vastly different than the JK, but it I've now got a feel for it and the shift points and action are now natural and very comfortable. It rivals my 06 Pontiac Soltice for best clutch/shift action I've driven.

It is so well matched, I'm having some second thoughts about a lift and 35's. Hmmm. We'll see!

Well done, Jeep!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Thank you very much for your time and the review. Have yourself a fantastic weekend!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you very much for your time and the review. Have yourself a fantastic weekend!
Thanks, and you, too! I'm having an AWESOME weekend with this fun new toy!

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
Thanks for that! Iā€™ll be ordering a manual once I can order Mojito, but I donā€™t expect to get to drive one first, so I appreciate this video.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Thanks for taking the time! Looks great and, unrelated, the interior seems very quiet too. Beautiful ride.

Sponsored

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks a bunch for the video review. Looks great. Canā€™t wait to get mine in billet.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for taking the time! Looks great and, unrelated, the interior seems very quiet too. Beautiful ride.
Yes, it is REALLY nice! The seats are very comfortable, although I wish the front of the cushion was a little higher, but otherwise, they feel great. Everything is smooth, solid, and quiet. The tires are surprisingly quiet, but then again, I'm used to KM2's on the JK. The sound system is simply outstanding.

I've got to go look at the threads on finding the off-road pages. I can't find them. ???

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks a bunch for the video review. Looks great. Canā€™t wait to get mine in billet.
The Billett looks great. They have one at my dealership. People were fawning over it there this morning. The red on the Rubicon lettering really jumps out at you, as do the tow hooks.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
There was some mention of a fix after the preproduction models that were reviewed, so don't be too hard on them. Plus, although I don't expect it to matter much, starting on a flat surface and starting on a rocky slope are two different things.

Congrats, if I weren't virus-stricken I'd see if I could swing through the west side and take a peek. Enjoy your new baby.

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
My 6 spd on my jk felt fine when it was brand new too besides the throw out bearing making a racket and then replacing the clutch and trans at 40k and now at 60k the syncros feel like they are going. Just put amsoil synchromesh in it, seems to be helping... hopefully they fixed what a weak Ink the manual was in the JK.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There was some mention of a fix after the preproduction models that were reviewed, so don't be too hard on them. Plus, although I don't expect it to matter much, starting on a flat surface and starting on a rocky slope are two different things.

Congrats, if I weren't virus-stricken I'd see if I could swing through the west side and take a peek. Enjoy your new baby.
I'm kidding them, somewhat. They should have made a major point that their machines were preproduction. They didn't draw attention to that in their published article, IMO. They make a living poking and needling, so I think they'll be able to take some good natured poking and ribbing coming back at them. Not sure they'll ever see that video, but I'd love it if they did. In a later video, I do mention that they were off-roading in the mountains, so that is in their favor. However, I've been off roading on trails as tough as them and this clutch would suit me just fine on them. If you stall this thing more than once in low range (I give a mulligan), then you don't know how to drive a manual. Period. Especially with an 84:1 crawl ratio. Remember, even in high range, this thing has a shorter first gear than my JK. I've never stalled my JK, even on the hardest trails or steepest climbs. Not once.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My 6 spd on my jk felt fine when it was brand new too besides the throw out bearing making a racket and then replacing the clutch and trans at 40k and now at 60k the syncros feel like they are going. Just put amsoil synchromesh in it, seems to be helping... hopefully they fixed what a weak Ink the manual was in the JK.
Aisin has a very good rep, so I think it has potential to be the best factory manual transmission ever put in a Jeep. That probably won't be as hard to accomplish as it sounds, because I don't remember hearing about one that enthuisiasts considered to be great. I did like the Aisin 5 speed in my YJ, but I wasn't pulling big tires around or rock crawling with it, either. Not sure what its reputation was for strenghth and durability. The NSG 370 won't be hard to beat in those areas.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Can you launch it in first without gas? That's something I'd never tried until I saw a mention of it online, works fine in my LJ.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can you launch it in first without gas? That's something I'd never tried until I saw a mention of it online, works fine in my LJ.
In high range? I could, but I'm not in the mood to slip the clutch like that if not necessary.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this video. After seeing this, I might consider getting the manual and use that $2k savings from the automatic on some other options. ;)
Sponsored