Sponsored

Video of Manual Transmission--Clutch is GREAT!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have a particularly bad experience with yours? I figure with my JL if it's been a problem child during the factory warranty years, I'll sell it when it runs out.
Not really. It had a couple transmission issues that I would not have fixed if not under warranty. It would have still driven fine, but it was nice to not have to live with them. It was popping out of first gear, had a squeaky clutch, and then finally started popping out of third gear once a month or so. They fixed the squeak at about 14k miles, fixed it popping out of first around 60k, and then swapped in a remanufactured transmission at 116k to fix it popping out of third. It never left me stranded and never broke, though. But, with the lifetime warranty, I've got an 11 year old Jeep with 122k miles on it and effectively a brand new transmission, for zero cost. It drives/shifts better than it did when brand new in 2007.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is actually my biggest gripe with my M/T JK. With the clutch there there is NO ROOM to rest your left leg on the side when you're not using the clutch. I really hate that about the JK and it looks like the JL is no different. You pretty much HAVE to rest left leg in front of the clutch. There is no foot rest pad like most M/Ts have. Not a good thing if you're big and/or tall.
Everybody is different. I'm 6'5" tall and have no issue with it in the JK or JL.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
Cool! I was just there March 23-25. I love visiting London!
Awesome! It's pretty great here :) but still can't wait to get back to the States... can't drive a Wrangler when gas is £1.30 a liter. :*(

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Did you have a particularly bad experience with yours? I figure with my JL if it's been a problem child during the factory warranty years, I'll sell it when it runs out.
The issue I have with my JK is the cutch creak. Annoying as hell, normal per Jeep service. Unacceptable.

Hipcam52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Supervisor
It took a few times to get used to the JLU for sure coming from my '17 wrx...first few times putting it in reverse ends up in 6th from old habits!
Same thing here but I love having 1st gear and reverse next to each other

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
The issue I have with my JK is the cutch creak. Annoying as hell, normal per Jeep service. Unacceptable.
If I buy a JL and that's my only problem, I'll be happy lol

Hipcam52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Supervisor
Do you have to pull up to shift into reverse or is reverse just all the way on the left?
Do you have to pull up to shift into reverse or is reverse just all the way on the left?

I made a short video of going from reverse to first gear and with my left hand of all things

Sponsored

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL

I made a short video of going from reverse to first gear and with my left hand of all things
ROFL with your left hand! Boss. Awesome. I'm glad it's a lift up style gear change. Hated the old style where it was just to the side.

Thank you for the video :)

TJ01

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLUR
Ok, you asked for it, you got it! Remember, this is all just my opinion.

I've got about 160 miles on it now, mainly country roads and city streets, and I'm loving the clutch, shifter, and transmission more and more. At this point, I would not change a thing. I did a short highway stint, as well, and I thought the gearing was perfectly matched for this Jeep. I could not be happier! It is vastly different than the JK, but it I've now got a feel for it and the shift points and action are now natural and very comfortable. It rivals my 06 Pontiac Soltice for best clutch/shift action I've driven.

It is so well matched, I'm having some second thoughts about a lift and 35's. Hmmm. We'll see!

Well done, Jeep!
Finally got mine today. Manual that is, yes the clutch is great, shifts are smooth. Very glad i went that route.

Simulacra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R UL
Came across a new first drive review of the JL for people interested in the 6mt

Wow thank you! Great to be able to see a POV video of the 6MT. The sounds this thing makes... puts a big smile on my face.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I wish for rocking purposes Jeep had been brave enough to put reverse and 1st directly across from each other, but I'm sure that would have caused no end of griping.

On the other hand, considering the low percentage of Wranglers sold with manuals, who cares if a few people complain?
Sponsored