Sponsored

Video of 3.0 doing a burnout

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
While surfing the web last night I came across an article about the Jeep Wrangler Ecodiesel from Motortrend. If you scroll half way down the page there is a video of them doing a burnout with the new 3.0 ecodiesel. I can't wait for these things to be released.

https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/2...iesel-vs-wrangler-20-turbo-comparison-review/
Their 0-60 times suggest the folks at MT should take a lesson in 0-60 launch technique from the boys at Car and Driver lol.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
The article lost me here.
Accepting that a Wrangler is a fundamentally irrational and emotional purchase, this thing knocks it out of the park.
Projection is a thing.

The burnout did look fun though.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The article lost me here.

Projection is a thing.

The burnout did look fun though.
Yea it never ceases to amaze me how supposed car people who don’t have a personal use-case for a certain vehicle will label anyone else buying it as emotional and irrational. Some of us live in places where a diesel rubicon is literally the best tool for the lifestyle we’ve chosen.

OP
OP
Andy-jr.

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Accepting that a Wrangler is a fundamentally irrational and emotional purchase, this thing knocks it out of the park.
People could say that about so many vehicles, look at all the people that have mid-life crises and go buy a Corvette or a Porsche. Are there more practical vehicles out there, sure. For what some of us are spending on a Jeep we could buy nice vehicle from another manufacture but it will never give us the years of enjoyment a Wrangler will.

Sponsored

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
For what some of us are spending on a Jeep we could buy nice vehicle from another manufacture but it will never give us the years of enjoyment a Wrangler will.
I will echo that sentiment. I have driven everything from a Lamborghini Huracan to Honda Civic's and the Jeep Wrangler (all years) is the most fun I ever had in a slow vehicle.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I'm also amused that automotive journalists tend to give the Wrangler poor reviews (2019 SUV of the Year notwithstanding) for its evident flaws (handling, wind noise, acceleration, etc.), yet the Wrangler has been neck-and-neck with the Tacoma for almost a decade for the best resale value of any vehicle segment across the board. I'd love to hear how the "experts" explain that... a not-so-great vehicle that holds its value better than anything else.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
I'm also amused that automotive journalists tend to give the Wrangler poor reviews (2019 SUV of the Year notwithstanding) for its evident flaws (handling, wind noise, acceleration, etc.), yet the Wrangler has been neck-and-neck with the Tacoma for almost a decade for the best resale value of any vehicle segment across the board. I'd love to hear how the "experts" explain that... a not-so-great vehicle that holds its value better than anything else.
Something can be “objectively bad” depending on what criteria is seen as desirable. If you’re measuring a Wrangler against the traits that make a good crossover...well it’s not going to score highly.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Something can be “objectively bad” depending on what criteria is seen as desirable. If you’re measuring a Wrangler against the traits that make a good crossover...well it’s not going to score highly.
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
The thing is, most consumer car reviewer don’t actually know anything about cars. Today I just watched a video of Jay Leno driving the new military off-road test vehicle and he called the transfer case shifter “oh is that the 4-wheel drive shifter thing?” And also seem to struggle with how low range works.

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The thing is, most consumer car reviewer don’t actually know anything about cars. Today I just watched a video of Jay Leno driving the new military off-road test vehicle and he called the transfer case shifter “oh is that the 4-wheel drive shifter thing?” And also seem to struggle with how low range works.
To be fair, Jay has been showing all of his 7 decades lately. He has moments of savant-level recall regarding various classic car models, years, mechanical details of them, and wrench time he’s put in...then he’ll forget incredibly basic details in other footage. My guess is if he took a mini mental state exam he’d score less than 24.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
To be fair, the "best resale value" is very skewed on the Wrangler. Fact simply is that a huge percentage of Wranglers get tons of money dumped into them before they get resold. Same thing, but to a lesser extent on the Taco. Compared to purchase price, Wranglers and Tacos resell for a much higher price than anything else on the market.

However, consider purchase price plus upgrade price... and the Wrangler and Taco are not quite as hot as they seem on paper

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score