Sponsored

Video: Nitto takes on the JL! Is it a better Wrangler?

Threxx

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR HT 3.6AT
I really wish somebody would do a comprehensive off road performance comparison between two stock Rubicons... one JL and one JK. Like just take them out on a well rounded off road trail and do a deep dive into the nuances of how they perform on each section.

So far all the comparisons I've seen have been with modded Wranglers and/or have just been very brief comparisons.

OP
OP

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
I really wish somebody would do a comprehensive off road performance comparison between two stock Rubicons... one JL and one JK. Like just take them out on a well rounded off road trail and do a deep dive into the nuances of how they perform on each section.

So far all the comparisons I've seen have been with modded Wranglers and/or have just been very brief comparisons.
I think it’s safe to say that aside from the AT tires the new JL is better in almost every way. Wider axles, stronger axles, tubes, Cs, highline fenders for larger tires, outboarded shocks, raised the roll center, better steering components, etc etc etc

Threxx

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR HT 3.6AT
I think it’s safe to say that aside from the AT tires the new JL is better in almost every way. Wider axles, stronger axles, tubes, Cs, highline fenders for larger tires, outboarded shocks, raised the roll center, better steering components, etc etc etc
It's probably safe to say it's better off road, but how much better? Yes many of the components appear to be heavier duty... but more durability isn't going to directly affect off road performance in a stock vs stock comparison unless the JK breaks down and the JL doesn't.

The JL does also suffer from some slightly worse angles because it grew in length.

Really I don't think any amount of looking at specs on paper is going to tell the story. It seems like it wouldn't be that hard for a youtuber out there to get their hands on a stock JL and JK Rubi and just run them one after the other on a trail that would be considered challenging.

beachhead73

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler Unlimited JK, 2001 For Ranger xtra cab, 1974 Ford Thunderbird
It's probably safe to say it's better off road, but how much better? Yes many of the components appear to be heavier duty... but more durability isn't going to directly affect off road performance in a stock vs stock comparison unless the JK breaks down and the JL doesn't.

The JL does also suffer from some slightly worse angles because it grew in length.

Really I don't think any amount of looking at specs on paper is going to tell the story. It seems like it wouldn't be that hard for a youtuber out there to get their hands on a stock JL and JK Rubi and just run them one after the other on a trail that would be considered challenging.
I'll do it when my new JL comes in from the build, when that ever happens, if people will pay 475 a month for me to keep my 2015 rubi :) )))))
Sponsored