Sponsored

Video: JL Designer Responds to Top 5 Complaints Video

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Lol. I’m sure they would make you a set. They wouldn’t be too expensive. Where do you live?

The only thing I didn’t like about the engineer video was how they quoted us and laughed at it. If I’d known we’d be talking to an engineer we would definitely have been more tactful in how we brought up the problems. Our video was just talking to our viewers as friends around a camp fire or “locker room” talk. The quotes they used really seemed to discredit what we were trying to say but in the end we did say those things. I guess we live and learn. In the end I’m glad the did it and I bet they listened more then they led on.
There was room for improvement all around, but keep in mind a couple of really cool things happened:
- Your videos matter to the design team (As do TFL and informant and others helping building a you tube JL community. and this forum for that matter). Cool!
- Jeep had the nutz to put a guy that really works for a living in front of a camera (TFL guys and your wife are certainly not on their first video, and have the "gift for gab"). You can bet he watched and thought oh I should have said this or that, between the lsit of things you can and cant say to customers and trying to be a bit witty or atleast appearing not to be a robot.
- Ya it would have been better not to have a middle man, I think the TFL guys were not laughing at you with him, but trying to keep the Jeep guy from feeling under fire. I have been in the position where angry customers wanted to vent out all the product line problems on me, (things like production issues I dont have anything to do with) and it just makes me wanna split. However, there were a few items you guys had that did deserve a nod from them (rear bumper)

Anyway, lots of room for improvement, I am just hoping the Jeep guy does not do a follow up interview in tight pink pants, we can leave those to nite lite. :P
Sponsored

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
There was room for improvement all around, but keep in mind a couple of really cool things happened:
- Your videos matter to the design team (As do TFL and informant and others helping building a you tube JL community. and this forum for that matter). Cool!
- Jeep had the nutz to put a guy that really works for a living in front of a camera (TFL guys and your wife are certainly not on their first video, and have the "gift for gab"). You can bet he watched and thought oh I should have said this or that, between the lsit of things you can and cant say to customers and trying to be a bit witty or atleast appearing not to be a robot.
- Ya it would have been better not to have a middle man, I think the TFL guys were not laughing at you with him, but trying to keep the Jeep guy from feeling under fire. I have been in the position where angry customers wanted to vent out all the product line problems on me, (things like production issues I dont have anything to do with) and it just makes me wanna split. However, there were a few items you guys had that did deserve a nod from them (rear bumper)

Anyway, lots of room for improvement, I am just hoping the Jeep guy does not do a follow up interview in tight pink pants, we can leave those to nite lite. :P
Very well put. We now know they are watching and that is a crazy good thing!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. I’m sure they would make you a set. They wouldn’t be too expensive. Where do you live?

The only thing I didn’t like about the engineer video was how they quoted us and laughed at it. If I’d known we’d be talking to an engineer we would definitely have been more tactful in how we brought up the problems. Our video was just talking to our viewers as friends around a camp fire or “locker room” talk. The quotes they used really seemed to discredit what we were trying to say but in the end we did say those things. I guess we live and learn. In the end I’m glad the did it and I bet they listened more then they led on.
I really thought you folks were tactful in that video. I think when discussing all things Jeep, everybody should react as if we have a beer in hand. That way, nobody gets too sensitive and we can say what's on our minds without going overboard to be socially correct. Anyway, I don't think the guy took offense, or at least it didn't pick up on it.

You started a great conversation and gave Jeep another opportunity to talk to us. I think they do a pretty good job of listening, too. That's how we wound up with this great JL. Is it perfect? Nope. But it is damned good. Anybody who follows your videos and sees the context knows you and your wife love that Jeep. You've earned your rep as both enthusiasts and as honest. (But polite, too!)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

Phoenix area.

Your vids have a reasonably high production value along with some very good content (plus there's the pants ;) ), and you actually wheel your rig fairly extreme and without that much over stock. Very impressive., the laughter was part nervous laughter along with not actually getting what you were after and really a compliment to jeep. Perhaps like me they haven't seen all your vids and didn't quite get it. The rig is impressive pure and simple, you proved it.

The flip is the fact that they are responding to your video, that tells you are on the right track. So I wouldnt change much in your format.

Keep up the good work on the vids. Looks like your having fun and part of the reason they have been so successful.

Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
The two issues I have with the Jeep engineer's response. 1) he didn't state, and maybe cause he doesn't know, that Jeep does offer a Gorilla glass windshield replacement. We all know that the windshield is prone to rocks, I love in Colorado and it's common practice to replace windshields every few years for any kind of vehicle and especially Jeeps. But, why didn't he respond to the fact that there is an option? To me, this just proves that all he wanted to do was answer the items with his engineer hat on, and not offering solutions and ideas.

2) come on, I mean come on. We have to look at aftermarket to fix a bad license plate placement issue? I get that serious off roaders might replace the stock back bumper. However, Jeep offers an expensive and durable steel bumper and a re-enforcement bracket to the tailgate to carry larger spare tires. So, aftermarket is completely optional. Except, if you want to fix a bad license plate placement, really? And oh, look at spending how many hundreds of dollars to fix the fact that the license plate is places in the worse possible position? It just makes no sense to me that Roman (sucking noise here while talking to the engineer), offers that up as a "fix" to a license plate placement issue when the bumper is good by itself and the tailgate bracket is awesome. Talk about killing ants with a blow torch.

Other than these, the other answers certainly towed the company line, was flat and boring, but not necessarily incorrect.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS

Keep em' coming, don't change a thing. We certainly, the Jeep community, wouldn't want you to polish and robotize your material delivery, like the engineer's responses ;-). I know what you are saying, how Roman quote you both, was disrespectful in my mind, but not necessarily the engineer. I took the engineer's reactions with a grain of salt, cause I know many engineers and they all have communication quirks. But, I definitely felt like Roman's tone, which he can control, was rude and disrespectful. Not to mention, I got tired of him leading the engineer into answers and positions, rather than just letting the engineer answer. Roman should have been no where near this. In my opinion, it was his tone that set the stage, and this is what ruined the video for me. The engineer, I appreciate him taking the time to "face the community", but I did feel he could have been more open about some of these things. Some will definitely be engineering speak, i.e. cross members with holes to reduce weight but still provide the strength needed according to the math. I thank him for his time and most of his answers.

ShaunTheJeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2D JL Rubicon
I would expect flat and boring but not incorrect. And I'm glad you posted the followup video; it eases some tension of your earlier video in which you implied the cross members were structurally unsound -- which would not sit well with Jeep. It looked like the engineer wanted to say so much more, like yeah -- if you ram it into a giant rock, parts will bend or break... but he kept cool and to the script. He skirted the fan thing, which seemed cut and dried. Why is it louder than any other car? There has to be a reason. But what can he say? If he says the engine runs hot it invites other questions. There's no non-negative answer to that which doesn't bring up something worse. And the glass. Most likely (just guessing) the answer is something along the lines of we will have Corning's Gorilla Glass eventually, but they weren't ready to go to market at the time we released the JL so we went with our regular glass. But if you say that, you acknowledge putting out a product you knew had flaws. Hello recall. While most of the things in your video are due to beating on your Jeep (while having fun) my glass cracked too, and mine is driven about as friendly as possible! I've had around 10 cars and my wife another 10, none of them have glass problems... but a new Jeep we drive for 20 days chips and cracks due to a tiny pebble on the freeway? Hundreds of other buyers have the same thing? This is obviously a problem. Dealerships says what I'd expect, as does FCA. So what steps do people take? Do you do a class action thing on the windshield? I could replace it, but I don't feel like this is a good window that broke, I feel like it's really a design flaw. Anyways... Love your vids, keep it up. If anyone starts a class action on the window I'll stand by you.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would expect flat and boring but not incorrect. And I'm glad you posted the followup video; it eases some tension of your earlier video in which you implied the cross members were structurally unsound -- which would not sit well with Jeep. It looked like the engineer wanted to say so much more, like yeah -- if you ram it into a giant rock, parts will bend or break... but he kept cool and to the script. He skirted the fan thing, which seemed cut and dried. Why is it louder than any other car? There has to be a reason. But what can he say? If he says the engine runs hot it invites other questions. There's no non-negative answer to that which doesn't bring up something worse. And the glass. Most likely (just guessing) the answer is something along the lines of we will have Corning's Gorilla Glass eventually, but they weren't ready to go to market at the time we released the JL so we went with our regular glass. But if you say that, you acknowledge putting out a product you knew had flaws. Hello recall. While most of the things in your video are due to beating on your Jeep (while having fun) my glass cracked too, and mine is driven about as friendly as possible! I've had around 10 cars and my wife another 10, none of them have glass problems... but a new Jeep we drive for 20 days chips and cracks due to a tiny pebble on the freeway? Hundreds of other buyers have the same thing? This is obviously a problem. Dealerships says what I'd expect, as does FCA. So what steps do people take? Do you do a class action thing on the windshield? I could replace it, but I don't feel like this is a good window that broke, I feel like it's really a design flaw. Anyways... Love your vids, keep it up. If anyone starts a class action on the window I'll stand by you.
Good luck with a class action on the window. You'd never win. Especially with me on the jury. I've seen no evidence that it is defective, and no evidence it is any more likely to break than previous Wranglers, or some other vehicles. You'd have as much luck filing one for Apple phone screens breaking.

ShaunTheJeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2D JL Rubicon
Good luck with a class action on the window. You'd never win. Especially with me on the jury. I've seen no evidence that it is defective, and no evidence it is any more likely to break than previous Wranglers, or some other vehicles. You'd have as much luck filing one for Apple phone screens breaking.
Yeah I'm not holding my breath. Just wondering what people do, since it's so prevalent. The numbers are there on the # of breaks compared to other vehicles. And yeah nobody ever got a new screen on their phone -- but -- phone screen cracks usually involve a drop which is user error. Jeep windows seem to crack under normal use.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'm not holding my breath. Just wondering what people do, since it's so prevalent. The numbers are there on the # of breaks compared to other vehicles. And yeah nobody ever got a new screen on their phone -- but -- phone screen cracks usually involve a drop which is user error. Jeep windows seem to crack under normal use.
They crack when hit by rocks. Mine took a rock. The tech at Safelite said he'd repaired to other JL's, both hit by rocks. The rock that hit mine made no mark, so if I hadn't seen it coming, I might think it cracked on its own. The problem with the idea that they do it on their own is that there is no stress on them, like on some cars. It is just a flat windshield that functions well as a rock catcher. Of course it will have more than other vehicles, but I'll bet not any more than anything else that might have a flat windshield, too. Defender? FJ (not flat, but not far off), Hummer? Like I've said before, I've had two other Jeeps, and both had windshields replaced. The first was a YJ and the second, which I still own, the JK. All the buddies I know with Jeeps (mostly TJ's and JK's) get cracked windshields frequently.

If I lose another on my JL, I will get the Gorrilla Glass. It should be out in November. When the rock hit mine, I saw it and watched it arc right into me. I thought I'd make it under it, but it caught the top right corner, only about 1 inch from the edge. It was like slow motion. My wallet said, "Noooooooooooo!" the whole way. Boy was I pissed.

ricardo.cantu

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
Coming from a JK, I have to say the JL is amazing. The engineers did so many things right. There’s always going to be issues with a new platform and the JL has some issues, no doubt, but all in all, it’s a rockstar. That being said, the Jeep’s chief engineer responses were lame! The answers were totally canned and of no value. “Made within operating specs” totally lame response. I’m an engineer and that’s what I say when I can’t say how I really feel or I’m being lazy.

On the other hand, lite brite and Kevin’s videos are so awesome. Keep it up!

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
All good points for sure. We never knew or meant for jeep to respond so we were definitely taken back by it. It’s great they took the time but if we had any idea that would happen we definitely would have brought up other issues and stated our issues in a more prossional manner. We were just speaking to the people we knew watched our videos and know we beat it up and laugh at the site of damage. Only people that know our channel would understand we weren’t talking badly about our jeep but just simply stating what would make this thing nearly perfect. When you spend as much time in the jeep as we do we will definitely come across things that need improvement that everyone would benefit from. Could you imagine if we were part of the test team and found this stuff out before hand and they could have fixed it all. They would have a nearly perfect on and Offroad vehicle.

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Coming from a JK, I have to say the JL is amazing. The engineers did so many things right. There’s always going to be issues with a new platform and the JL has some issues, no doubt, but all in all, it’s a rockstar. That being said, the Jeep’s chief engineer responses were lame! The answers were totally canned and of no value. “Made within operating specs” totally lame response. I’m an engineer and that’s what I say when I can’t say how I really feel or I’m being lazy.

On the other hand, lite brite and Kevin’s videos are so awesome. Keep it up!
Oh definitely!! The JL is hands down the most amazing Offroad vehicle I have had. When I bought it I tested an 18jk Rubi and the JL. when I got in the JL I knew it was special and there was no way I was getting the JK. I’m glad jeep is at least listening and I’m sure the engineer at least took some notice. I doubt he just wrote it all off. Let’s wait and see
Sponsored