Sponsored

*VIDEO* How to Install Alien Sunshade with Hardtop

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com
Wrangler JL owners often ask if our Jeep Sunshades can be installed on hardtop-equipped Jeeps (more specifically if the rear section of the hardtop can stay on during the installation) AND if our shade is compatible with the freedom panels.

So I went ahead and made a little video answering these 2 important questions.

SPOILER ALERT: our shades can be installed by just removing the front freedom panels AND you retain access to the freedom top latches so you can keep the shade installed.

Any questions? Let me know!

Thanks,
Andrew
Sponsored

OP
OP
AlienSunshade

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com
Nice! Thanks I just happened to be looking for a visual of the sunshade with the freedom panels in place when I stumbled across this. When I want the full sun, can I leave the t-bar bungees in place with the alien sunshade removed/rolled back?
You're welcome!:rock:

And yes, great question. If you want full sun exposure, you can remove the shade and leave the front 4 t-bar bungees in place. Leaving them there will not interfere with your factory hardtop or soft top functionality.

Thanks,
Andrew

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
And yes, great question. If you want full sun exposure, you can remove the shade and leave the front 4 t-bar bungees in place. Leaving them there will not interfere with your factory hardtop or soft top functionality.
Thanks,
Andrew
Great video! And great stuff!

What I wanna know is can you use the Alien (front) shade with the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop? I've heard from several forum members that you can use the shade with the Sunrider, but how easy would it be to remove & reinstall the Alien shade with the Sunrider installed? I haven't tried it yet but maybe someone else has.

OP
OP
AlienSunshade

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com
Great video! And great stuff!

What I wanna know is can you use the Alien (front) shade with the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop? I've heard from several forum members that you can use the shade with the Sunrider, but how easy would it be to remove & reinstall the Alien shade with the Sunrider installed? I haven't tried it yet but maybe someone else has.
Thank you, Eric! Much appreciated.:like:

Yes, our shade is compatible with the Bestop Sunrider.

I haven't personally done a shade installation or removal with the Sunrider but I don't think much would change from the video I posted.

Thanks,
Andrew

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Basically how I did mine.. Hardtop on.. No real issues. Took about 30mins to complete.
I also remove my Freedom panels almost every morning before work and put them on when I get home. It becomes pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The slight gaps are perfect for you to still be able to reach the latches, I basically just flick them open/closed with my fingers. Im thankful its not gapless honestly.
I love it! I might buy more colors just to switch them out here and there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AlienSunshade

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com
Basically how I did mine.. Hardtop on.. No real issues. Took about 30mins to complete.
I also remove my Freedom panels almost every morning before work and put them on when I get home. It becomes pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The slight gaps are perfect for you to still be able to reach the latches, I basically just flick them open/closed with my fingers. Im thankful its not gapless honestly.
I love it! I might buy more colors just to switch them out here and there.
Thanks Derek!

Yeah, removing the freedom panels ends up being a quick 2 minute job once you've done it a few times.:)

It's definitely nice to leave the shade on and still retain access to all the latches.

Glad you're loving the shade!:rock:

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, our shade is compatible with the Bestop Sunrider.

I haven't personally done a shade installation or removal with the Sunrider but I don't think much would change from the video I posted.
Finally got around to putting on the shade and other than getting frustrated by the front clips (ended up cheating and loosening the windshield... I dunno... fat finger syndrome perhaps) the install was pretty straight forward. Had to work around the Sunrider rail attached to the roll cage as well as the GPDA grab handles but everything fit and the Sunrider is still accessible.

Absolutely LOVE that I can open the top and not have to grab a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes now.

Great product! Thanks Alien!

OP
OP
AlienSunshade

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com
Finally got around to putting on the shade and other than getting frustrated by the front clips (ended up cheating and loosening the windshield... I dunno... fat finger syndrome perhaps) the install was pretty straight forward. Had to work around the Sunrider rail attached to the roll cage as well as the GPDA grab handles but everything fit and the Sunrider is still accessible.

Absolutely LOVE that I can open the top and not have to grab a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes now.

Great product! Thanks Alien!
hahah it's alright! I've had a bit more practice so I can do it with my eyes closed now. You do need to feel it on the corner ones but with the middle ones, you can actually pull down on the plastic trim and look through the little opening to watch the clip attach properly. I'll make a video about that at some point...

And good to hear about the compatibility with the Sunrider and grab handles.

Thanks for the support!

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So I had a Jtop USA sunshade on my jk.. but getting softop for my JL so thinking of going with this product.. the Jtop has no gaps so it minimizes wind with top of.. with these using bungies and having gaps do you get a lot more wind in the Jeep?

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I installed mine last week. I tried to do the front clips but it bothered me that I couldn't see where it was going, so I took the four bolts out and opened the windshield just enough to see where the clips should go. It only took an extra 5 minutes. I had a two piece and installed the rear sunshade underneath the hardtop. I had a hell of a time with the last bungee but eventually got it on. I don't remember having any wind noise before I put the shade on but I do notice it now that they're on. Not a big deal, because I'd rather have the shade blocking out the sun. Putting the freedom tops back on and locking the latch prevented the shade from being pulled tight from the bungee cords, but it can be fixed by adjusting the bungee's after it's locked in. I'm happy with it!
01.jpg

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
2 door full length? Or 2 piece front + rear for 2 door? Gotta keep the doggies cool in the back!

OP
OP
AlienSunshade

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com
So I had a Jtop USA sunshade on my jk.. but getting softop for my JL so thinking of going with this product.. the Jtop has no gaps so it minimizes wind with top of.. with these using bungies and having gaps do you get a lot more wind in the Jeep?
There's no additional wind noise with the shade installed and there's no flapping. For anyone who has driven at highway speeds without the top on, it's gonna be loud regardless.:LOL:

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Right now for the 2-door, our only option is the front half shade. This will change soon though.:)
Cool! Hurry up! ;) Summer is finally kicking in here in a big way. BTW, I've looked at some of the other options and there is no way I'm going with the others. They are just too floppy for my taste.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so you guys got me sold on this product.. but now is the 2pc shade or the 1pc full body shade better??
Sponsored