Sponsored

Video: A look at the MOPAR rear cargo mat / seat protectors and how to install them

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Found it on the youtubes!

Quite a bit of work for just installing mats, I must say!

Why cant Mopar just sell the rear mat for the rear back and thats all like before?. I dont want the mats on the back of the seats .thats a lot of work and i dont like the look of it on the back of the seats anyway. Cant we just but the floor piece like before ? and dude save your 200 and just but a small table you dont need a 225 little bitty small Mopar table for looks, thats all that little table on the back and you can cook on it like you said

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
From reading these posts am I to understand that if you got cloth seats you do not get the gap covers? These are only installed if you upgrade to leather? If that is the case I find that to be a bit lame. When I had seen those I thought what another great improvement they have made. To only make it as part of a leather seat purchase however....

Oh well looks like I'll be buying those to install as I am not a fan of that gap in the JK so long as they do not charge a ridiculous price. My poor 14 year old dog would always fall into that crack.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
On my jku I had the same problem so I just cut A large piece of 1/4 plywood to fit over it and put some of those 1/2 floor pads. From Home Depot to it would be soft for my dogs

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
From reading these posts am I to understand that if you got cloth seats you do not get the gap covers? These are only installed if you upgrade to leather? If that is the case I find that to be a bit lame. When I had seen those I thought what another great improvement they have made. To only make it as part of a leather seat purchase however....

Oh well looks like I'll be buying those to install as I am not a fan of that gap in the JK so long as they do not charge a ridiculous price. My poor 14 year old dog would always fall into that crack.
why do you need it it you have the leather ? my dog wont climb up there on the back of the seats.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
it might be nice to have but i really dont see it getting scratched up there like taking your phone places

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
why do you need it it you have the leather ? my dog wont climb up there on the back of the seats.
I am not sure I understand your question. I was under the impression this was for all models regardless of cloth or leather. I did not get leather and that is why I am looking for clarification.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I just want the flat rubber mat like they made for the JK

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
The flat mat for the trunk is being sold with the Trail Rail system....whenever that is available.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
On my jku I had the same problem so I just cut A large piece of 1/4 plywood to fit over it and put some of those 1/2 floor pads. From Home Depot to it would be soft for my dogs
Hmm interesting.
Found it on the youtubes!

Quite a bit of work for just installing mats, I must say!
Great find thanks for sharing. I am glad I saw this before ordering it, as it falls short of what I was hoping for.

I guess I am heading for making a setup where I can swap between having rear seat and ultra dog/cargo mode. Without having the jeep its hard to see how feasible my idea is, but I am think building one of 2 possibilities that are swappable with rear seat:

Mega cargo option:
- A full length flat wooden base that latches in place of removed seat in front and maybe attaches to rear trail hoops or whatever I can find thats strong.
- cover it with weatherproof tuff carpet
- route some good mid point harness mounts so boxers can't jump out to lick people in face or chase squirrels or god knows, will need more that plywood attach so will need to find anchors
- build secret storage spots under platform, but not so big we cant remove the entire thing for seat swap.

Wash out with water, water proof rear end:
- remove all rear carpeting, and do heavy duty tough paint, we used to use Zolotone in old days, maybe better options now
- Fab smaller half platform to fill in to back and make flat.
- figure out drainage to drain plugs in back foot area.
- rubber top padding for entire thing

It might have to be some combo, I like the idea of a better washable and more waterproof back, I live near enough to coast that everything is wet in morning even on a day that will be 100+ later, and dogs get full of mud and sand.

Other option might be just doing a platform platorm on top of the folded down seat. Dunno this idea stiff seems great in place but too much a pia to swap.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Has anybody took the rear mat out of the JK and see how close it is on the JL I have one I'd like to know I'll keep mine out before I sell it if it works cuz it's nice. It can' be that much difference is there ?

RadicalMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKUR 2018 JLU Sahara
I am not sure I understand your question. I was under the impression this was for all models regardless of cloth or leather. I did not get leather and that is why I am looking for clarification.
I'm also curious, do cloth seats get the rear gap ccover or is it only leather?
Any cloth jlu owner able to offer clarification?

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Considering my 2 door will probably just have the rear seats down from the start, I may invest in this- but it seems like something that’d be easier / cheaper to make from a few shop floor mats that can be had at Home Depot/ Lowe’s

I mean I just lay out a heavy duty tarp in the back of my Caliber wagon right now - mainly during the winter months when I’m hauling 40 lb bags of wood pellets for the pellet stove from Home Depot etc

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering my 2 door will probably just have the rear seats down from the start, I may invest in this- but it seems like something that’d be easier / cheaper to make from a few shop floor mats that can be had at Home Depot/ Lowe’s

I mean I just lay out a heavy duty tarp in the back of my Caliber wagon right now - mainly during the winter months when I’m hauling 40 lb bags of wood pellets for the pellet stove from Home Depot etc
2 door seats are different. 2 doors fold down and then flip up. The 4 door seats only fold down flat with a gap between the seats and back cargo area. The height difference from cargo area and under seat makes this more noticeable. Not a huge deal, I just thought the gap cover was for all models but now I am not sure.

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
2 door seats are different. 2 doors fold down and then flip up. The 4 door seats only fold down flat with a gap between the seats and back cargo area. The height difference from cargo area and under seat makes this more noticeable. Not a huge deal, I just thought the gap cover was for all models but now I am not sure.
Looks like a nope.

Here's a Rubicon with cloth - at the 3:47 mark (the video should start there) you can see there is no cover flap for the seats.

Sponsored