Sponsored

Video: A look at the MOPAR rear cargo mat / seat protectors and how to install them

Yellow109r

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLUR, Bright White
Occupation
Aircraft Industrial Engineer for the DoD
Vehicle Showcase
following
Sponsored

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!
Iā€™m amazed that you didnā€™t have a bitch of a time with the clips that the gap cover connects to. Or at least you didnā€™t elude to it in your video. I just installed mine and they were not fun at all. Just made a post in the ā€œWhat did you do to your Jeep todayā€ thread but feel like it should be echoed here as well. Apologies if itā€™s already been discussed, Iā€™m just about to read up now.
Yeah, I did have a issue with taking the clips out, all I did was try them out with a pliers so I didn't put it in the video! I guess I just got lucky

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I just did mine yesterday, as many have noticed, the box didn't have "part g" (gap hider). I kinda figured it out that if you have the fold down flap, gap hider, then you wouldn't need part g. I did not realize, that only leather came with those gold down hiders. Anyway, I have leather so I guess it doesn't matter. It was a little tricky, but once you figure out how to cut those small holes in the back of the seats, it was smooth sailing. The snap in rings are already behind the seat cloth, you just have feel for the center of them, cut a small x in the center of them and snap provided hardware in each hole. Then snap the mats in. Is is kinda nice that when you fold down the seat you have full protection and they can be taken of as well.

20180317_132352.jpg

20180317_132344.jpg

20180317_132333.jpg

20180317_132321.jpg

20180317_210251.jpg
Thanks...I just ordered mine. For those who don't like them on the back seat, take them off until you need them. I could have used them the other day.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m amazed that you didnā€™t have a bitch of a time with the clips that the gap cover connects to. Or at least you didnā€™t elude to it in your video. I just installed mine and they were not fun at all. Just made a post in the ā€œWhat did you do to your Jeep todayā€ thread but feel like it should be echoed here as well. Apologies if itā€™s already been discussed, Iā€™m just about to read up now.
After looking at the 'gap filler', why remove it just to cut the holes. Sharp knife should do it, and maybe a piece of wood on the other side to help out. A thought.

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
For all my grumbling... I had a pretty dirty day with my Wrangler, carried a bunch of stuff in the back including a mountain bike with the seats folded, and appreciated the setup. A quick pass with a shop vac afterwards and wipe down and itā€™s all clean. Maybe itā€™s worth it after all. Just donā€™t take the god damn gap hider out when installing :)

Sponsored

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I did have a issue with taking the clips out, all I did was try them out with a pliers so I didn't put it in the video! I guess I just got lucky
I just would seriously either take the video down or edit it so that people realize that removing the gap cover is strictly optional... and not a good option at all.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
That's the MOPAR trunk mat? That's absolutely hideous and looks as if a child designed it. You're telling me they could not design a flat mat with cutout outs for the anchor points, in order to fill out the entire space of the trunk? My 2018 Trailhawk had a pretty nice MOPAR mat as I described and cost $57. Why they dropped the ball here, I have no idea. I think I'll just stick to a large moving blanket until something better comes along.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the MOPAR trunk mat? That's absolutely hideous and looks as if a child designed it. You're telling me they could not design a flat mat with cutout outs for the anchor points, in order to fill out the entire space of the trunk? My 2018 Trailhawk had a pretty nice MOPAR mat as I described and cost $57. Why they dropped the ball here, I have no idea. I think I'll just stick to a large moving blanket until something better comes along.
Can't please everyone. It's heavy duty and works well. Enjoy your blanket.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I agree with you some what they could have done a better job I'm just going to buy it and cut it off and use the cargo mat by itself for the rear flat piece that's all. I didnt care about it on the back of the seats on the jks and we didn't have it on the back of the JK seats if I need to put something that's going to get wet or something like that I'll just get that dirty dog that big cover in there that people have and I have a Australian Shepherd. I'll just get the dirty dog if I ever take him to the Lake or the beach becauseI don't like the way it looks.but that's my opinion I agree with you on the back of the seats its like that it's too thick it just looks bulkey but that's my opinion that's why you don't have to put it on if you don't want to

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Found it on the youtubes!

Quite a bit of work for just installing mats, I must say!
Not really. Took about 20-30mins. I watched the same video before doing it.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Last edited:

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
After looking at the 'gap filler', why remove it just to cut the holes. Sharp knife should do it, and maybe a piece of wood on the other side to help out. A thought.
Right. I did not remove the gap cover for my install. Used a utility knife and scissors. No issues.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I'm sorry but the thick rubber is awesome. Yes there's a little on the sides that's uncovered, but that's makes access to the storage super easy. I can throw anything back there without worries. Iove the Mopar rear csrgo setup and quite honestly I'm surprised it wasn't more than $120 bucks!

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with you some what they could have done a better job I'm just going to buy it and cut it off and use the cargo mat by itself for the rear flat piece that's all. I didnt care about it on the back of the seats on the jks and we didn't have it on the back of the JK seats if I need to put something that's going to get wet or something like that I'll just get that dirty dog that big cover in there that people have and I have a Australian Shepherd. I'll just get the dirty dog if I ever take him to the Lake or the beach becauseI don't like the way it looks.but that's my opinion I agree with you on the back of the seats its like that it's too thick it just looks bulkey but that's my opinion that's why you don't have to put it on if you don't want to
Agree on the bulky look, but I recently used it for cargo and glad it was thick. Just a matter of preference, as not too many see the rear anyway. Easy install and ready for anything. Just my thoughts.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just installed mine. Wish I would have read this thread first since pulling out that gap hider sucked. Most of my time was spent retrieving the metal clips out of the holes and straightening them out so I could reuse them. It is a little unnerving to cut into brand new carpet on the seat backs. I just made an X cut and pressed the plastic doo-hickeys right in, no trimming with scissors. I actually like this mat and the access to the tie downs. I might look into the trail rail system when it becomes more available.
Sponsored