Video: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
It looks like the vent behind the front wheel can be confirmed based on the buffeting.

Corduroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Cherokee
Don't they ever have to test these vehicles without the top to see how it behaves? I know there's wind tunnels but you would think they need some real world testing sometimes.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It has good acceleration ! The JL driver is talking on his cell phone while driving, so thats legal out there ??

Sponsored

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
It has good acceleration ! The JL driver is talking on his cell phone while driving, so thats legal out there ??
Is it illegal anywhere? You'd have to arrest the whole commonwealth of Kentucky if it was illegal here.

OP
OP
Ahmed

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
It looks like the vent behind the front wheel can be confirmed based on the buffeting.
I think it breathes, and that in my mind explains why the engine hood is bulging
I think there is one big wind tunnel "at least" that receives air and then comes out with the side vents behind the front wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL Video: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara {filename}

Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I think it breathes, and that in my mind explains why the engine hood is bulging
I think there is one big wind tunnel "at least" that receives air and then comes out with the side vents behind the front wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL Video: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara {filename}
And/or it could be used to reduce wind resistance and turbulence resulting from the huge wheel fenders (aka wind catchers).

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
The red on the top picture is a keeper! Notice the color near the side step

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'm not sure if that makes as much sense though as a wheelwell vent, or a combo vent.

Adding an engine bay outlet there primarily benefits a quick moving vehicle, not a slow moving vehicle which would benefit more from top venting similar to existing designs (but expanded) that provide more of a chimney affect.

The Wrangler doesn't really suffer from cooling issues when moving quickly it alread has gaps for the suspension that extend up the bay at about 9 inches past the radiator, it's when it's slow moving that they tend to have heat issues.

If the vent were for the wheelwell then that would reduce air and water resistance from the large sail fenders, and allowing all that air trapped behind the wheels to go somewhere would pull even more air from the bay through the existing gaps.

We'll know once it launches, but of the two functional design options, I'd say the later or hybrid offers more benefits.

edit: CorpCow beat me to the reply, was typing then thought to double check the existing venting in the engine bay by the giant sail wheel well, it's about 2-3 sq ft per side of wind resisting surface area.

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
So...and I apologize for being ignurnt, the venting does what? It looks cool but what is its function (most likely)?

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
My only concern is will these vents affect water fording depth?
Sponsored