Sponsored

Vibrations with new Nitto 38" Trail Grapplers and KMC wheels are driving me insane!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have seen a bead lock not torqued down correctly where the bead lock ring is not centered on the tire and that would cause the issue also. Look at your tire and see if the bead lock ring is at the same place on the tire all the way around.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Funny thing with my KMC Beadlocks. I mounted them myself, and was driving it to get the tires balanced, and not a single one was bad. I've put about 4,000 miles on them driving as fast as 75 MPH and not a single vibration. I'm saying that because, those big tires are hard to balance, and sometimes the weights can be off. Remove the weights and drive it. You might be surprised. I do run mine at about 26-28 psi to keep them from cupping.

OP
OP
track.n.trail

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have seen a bead lock not torqued down correctly where the bead lock ring is not centered on the tire and that would cause the issue also. Look at your tire and see if the bead lock ring is at the same place on the tire all the way around.
I was thinking the same thing, however, none of the new wheels cause any vibrations when mounted on the front axle. The tires do look centered on the wheel but I might remove the rings and double-check

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I was thinking the same thing, however, none of the new wheels cause any vibrations when mounted on the front axle. The tires do look centered on the wheel but I might remove the rings and double-check
If it is only on the back axle and you wheel the 37s hard, I would think you have a rear axle problem. I twisted my axles and had to replace the stock ones. Might want to look rear axle first.

OP
OP
track.n.trail

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
If it is only on the back axle and you wheel the 37s hard, I would think you have a rear axle problem. I twisted my axles and had to replace the stock ones. Might want to look rear axle first.
I think that's the issue. In an earlier reply I mentioned how much runout I'm seeing at the rear disk/hub. I've got a set of Dana chromoly shafts on the way.

When your shafts were twisted did you experience any vibrations?

Sponsored

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I think that's the issue. In an earlier reply I mentioned how much runout I'm seeing at the rear disk/hub. I've got a set of Dana chromoly shafts on the way.

When your shafts were twisted did you experience any vibrations?
Ever resolve the issue?

OP
OP
track.n.trail

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Hoping to have a resolution this weekend
I got the similar problem. I had 37" x 12.5 x 17 Cooper discoverer STT pro on KMC 235 bead lock wheels that I installed myself. Those required very little weight to balance. I replaced them with the same tire in 40" x 13.5 x 17 and there was a ton of weight needed to get them balanced. Those were installed by tire shop. Lock ring seems to be centered as far I can see. My front is shaking at some speed. I will take rings off and see if there is something wrong with bead alignment. At least one tire has a visible side runout. Not sure what else I can do. I am contemplating to try balancing beads. I would appreciate bead balancing user experience.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Slightly bigger, but hugely heavier. The km3 weighs 78 pounds and the trail grappler is 90 lbs. Combined with less backspacing that is a lot of mass and leverage exposing what is likely a slighty bent axle shaft. I hope the new shafts cure the issue.

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I got the similar problem. I had 37" x 12.5 x 17 Cooper discoverer STT pro on KMC 235 bead lock wheels that I installed myself. Those required very little weight to balance. I replaced them with the same tire in 40" x 13.5 x 17 and there was a ton of weight needed to get them balanced. Those were installed by tire shop. Lock ring seems to be centered as far I can see. My front is shaking at some speed. I will take rings off and see if there is something wrong with bead alignment. At least one tire has a visible side runout. Not sure what else I can do. I am contemplating to try balancing beads. I would appreciate bead balancing user experience.
I am running KMC machetes with Cooper STT in 37, had them installed for about 25K miles. When I first installed had no issues now getting steering shimmy really bad at 40-50 etc. Moving tires around is a mute point as well. Most of them look cupped for variety of reasons and lost stick on weights. Tried to spin balance at a shop but they refused as it asking for 11 oz of weight. Now using beads in the front and no change really. I should also note when I first got them balanced they took anywhere from 6-11 oz of weight lol

Now I am contemplating a new set of tires and non deadlock wheels. Getting tired of mounting my self and dealing with shops that won't touch them etc. No fun in not being able to drive your jeep anywhere lol

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
This close 🤏 to pulling the trigger on these for my future build…did the rear axle shafts fix your vibration problem?

Also, I see that you’re running 3.5” BS KMC’s. I’d like to go with slightly more BS for a better scrub radius and less load on the steering box and I’m really digging the KMC Tank wheels with 4.4” of BS. Think that would be enough for these tires and a 3.5” Clayton lift? The 3.5” BS wheels seem to tuck the tires right inside the edge of the fenders under full stuff based on your IG photos. Wondering if there’s room for .9” more of backspacing at full stuff. Thanks!

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I placed the order for the 38 ridge grapplers with method 703’s that have 4.75 BS. Tires are in but wheels a few weeks out. Will update with a few pics then.

cheers

billypetes

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1991 XJ
Someone else mentioned it could be the tread pattern you're feeling. I have the same issue, but it begins about 25 mph and is gone by about 35. I inflated my tires to 45 psi and it isn't as intense, but it has led me to believe it is indeed the tread pattern that I'm feeling. I have after market Currie Extreme 60 axles so I doubt I have an axle problem because it didn't start when I changed out the axles. I'm curious if you got your issue straightened out in case it might help to point me in the right direction. Also, it makes sense that the new wheels/tires don't make the vibration on the road when mounted on the front axle since you're presumably driving it in 2WD and so the force is almost all on the rear axle.

Kingkat900

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 tj
I have ud 60s with 40 inch nitto trail grappler on non balanced beadlocks and added Centramatic balancing rings and mine is smooth as can be at any speed. May be an option for you.
Sponsored