Vibration issue after new wheels and tires

MDRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Upgraded my wheels and tires to Fuel Beast wheels and 37x12.50R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have a vibration/shudder that starts around 22mph and goes to around 28-29mph. Shakes the whole Jeep. Then is smooths out. Had tires balanced and road forced twice and found all five tires were bad. Got five new tires sent to me under warranty and had them mounted and balanced and road forced and all were good. Same vibration at same speed. Driving me crazy. Any ideas? This started after the new wheels and tires.
Wheels are 17 inch -12 offset
Sponsored

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
I have the exact same wheels without issue. Maybe one of your wheels is out of round, machined off center?

Maybe you have the wrong lug nuts? I believe they are lug centric wheels.

When they road forced the wheels did they check the wheel and tires for lateral movement?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Might consider adding hub adapters, not typically necessary but can be the final piece to the puzzle when solving vibration issues. Look for aluminum rings, the plastic ones tend to crack pretty easy.

OP
OP

MDRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the exact same wheels without issue. Maybe one of your wheels is out of round, machined off center?

Maybe you have the wrong lug nuts? I believe they are lug centric wheels.

When they road forced the wheels did they check the wheel and tires for lateral movement?
Have lug centric lug nuts from Mcgard. I do not know if they checked the wheels for lateral movement. But I think a bad wheel would have a vibration all the time and at any speed.

OP
OP

MDRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might consider adding hub adapters, not typically necessary but can be the final piece to the puzzle when solving vibration issues. Look for aluminum rings, the plastic ones tend to crack pretty easy.
I have hub centric adapters installed.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Did they align the red dots on the tires w/ the valve stems on the wheels?

SALEM_JL

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
What PSI are you running?

Mine were at 37 when i first installed and had similar symptoms. Dropped the rear tires down to 28 and fronts to 30 and it rides soooo much better.

OP
OP

MDRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they align the red dots on the tires w/ the valve stems on the wheels?
Yes. All tires were less than 15lbs of road force.

OP
OP

MDRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What PSI are you running?

Mine were at 37 when i first installed and had similar symptoms. Dropped the rear tires down to 28 and fronts to 30 and it rides soooo much better.
Have tried running at 25psi to 32psi. Does not change anything.

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Have lug centric lug nuts from Mcgard. I do not know if they checked the wheels for lateral movement. But I think a bad wheel would have a vibration all the time and at any speed.
I have had tires with lateral run out that vibrated at certain speeds. Seems to me if you replaced all the tires that eliminated them so that leaves the wheels, the set up or worn parts. Maybe you have a bad ball joint and the new wheels with more offset are causing your vibration. Is it in the wheel or in the seat?

Sponsored

OP
OP

MDRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had tires with lateral run out that vibrated at certain speeds. Seems to me if you replaced all the tires that eliminated them so that leaves the wheels, the set up or worn parts. Maybe you have a bad ball joint and the new wheels with more offset are causing your vibration. Is it in the wheel or in the seat?
It’s in both. My whole Jeep shakes.

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Everything shakes, I would check the track bar, control arms, ball joints, and all the steering components next. Check all the bushings under load for movement. Check the shocks maybe you had one fail and did not know it and your feeling it now with the bigger heavier tire.

Wheels/tires may not be the cause but the different offset and tire size may be causing a worn part to show up where it did not on original tires. change in offset and tire size stresses parts differently.

OP
OP

MDRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everything shakes, I would check the track bar, control arms, ball joints, and all the steering components next. Check all the bushings under load for movement. Check the shocks maybe you had one fail and did not know it and your feeling it now with the bigger heavier tire.

Wheels/tires may not be the cause but the different offset and tire size may be causing a worn part to show up where it did not on original tires. change in offset and tire size stresses parts differently.
I will check all these things this weekend. Would any of these parts fail already? I only have around 13k miles on the Jeep and the bigger tires were only on it for less than 200 miles.

bacon392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Rubicon 392 XR
if you look out your window at your driver wheel when this is happening, what do you see? What you're describing sounds like a loose track bar bolt to me though.

OP
OP

MDRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you look out your window at your driver wheel when this is happening, what do you see? What you're describing sounds like a loose track bar bolt to me though.
I'll check that this weekend. Would it be the front or rear? Or both?
Sponsored