Sponsored

Vibration in steering at the edges of “dead spot”

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
As the title says, I’m experiencing a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, but only really on the edges of the dead spot. It occurs when applying pressure to the steering wheel to correct for drift in the lane, usually between speeds of 55 and 65, both to the left and right side. I’ve got a JLU Sport S, installed the JKS JSpec 2.5” lift with HD Springs, their fixed LCAs, and 35s on some pro comp steelies (weighing in at about 110lbs a piece). I just had the dealer balance the wheels when they did the tire rotation (gotta use the oil/tire rotations while they’re free) but the issue is still there.

Between reading tons of posts and watching videos, plus generally not being happy with the looseness of the steering prior to the lift and tires, I’ve got the synergy sector shaft brace, drag link and tie rod on order. I’m hoping that when those come in and I get them installed it’ll help with both the loose steering and the vibration.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be something else at issue here? I’ve got about 23k miles on it now, but only had this set up for about 4k....usually I’d say I don’t think the ball joints would have gone bad at this point, but based on the limited slip diff going bad and ending up with a new rear axle assembly, who knows.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.
You might want to get the dead spot fixed first because most dealers will say they won’t work on it with steering or suspension related aftermarket parts on it. It is either a bad steering box (dealers won’t adjust it and the steering Star case says the steering box is not to be adjusted because of the loctite), loose components (there were several finger tight components on mine) or power steering component related. Have you tried the power steering reset procedure that is posted in the main steering thread? It is free and easy to try. Some reported it fixed loose steering.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered from Northridge 4x4, they don’t have them in stock either, but free shipping and the litebrite discount makes the wait easier.
North ridge says it’s shipped from Synergy. I wonder what the estimated delivery time frame is?

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
North ridge says it’s shipped from Synergy. I wonder what the estimated delivery time frame is?
I ordered June 24th, haven’t gotten a shipment notification yet....hopefully soon. I looked at a bunch of other heavy duty drag links and tie rods (Rusty’s, steer smarts, metal cloak, etc) but most didn’t include shipping costs. I think the Rustys was over $100

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
I suggest getting all 5 wheels rebalanced before changing out more parts. Then after you switch out the drag link and tie rod, bring it back in for an alignment.

Let us know how you make out.
So made the trip down to America’s Tire in Palm Springs. They did the road force balancing on all five. Afterwards they said the balance was way off.... it seemed to have done the trick. I don’t feel it as I transition through 55mph on the way to freeway speed like I used to and I can stay at 55 without feeling the pulsing in the steering wheel like before. So, with that, thanks all for the help and advice. I will say I’m still working on the steering, though what I think of as a dead spot may not really be. I drove a Mini Cooper before this and it was like a go cart, so maybe the normal solid front axle slip I feel is normal. I’ve seen worse. Still gonna do the drag link/tie rod/ sector shaft brace for the simple fact that I’ve got big heavy tires/wheels.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So made the trip down to America’s Tire in Palm Springs. They did the road force balancing on all five. Afterwards they said the balance was way off.... it seemed to have done the trick. I don’t feel it as I transition through 55mph on the way to freeway speed like I used to and I can stay at 55 without feeling the pulsing in the steering wheel like before. So, with that, thanks all for the help and advice. I will say I’m still working on the steering, though what I think of as a dead spot may not really be. I drove a Mini Cooper before this and it was like a go cart, so maybe the normal solid front axle slip I feel is normal. I’ve seen worse. Still gonna do the drag link/tie rod/ sector shaft brace for the simple fact that I’ve got big heavy tires/wheels.
Awesome! Glad to hear you're rolling smooth again.

The factory steering linkages, track bars, and control arms are all thin walled construction which makes them prone to flexing. They're not the greatest for a stock vehicle, much less one that is being lifted and treated to bigger tires. The bigger the lift and tires, the more force and leverage the road has over that vehicle. Stronger steering and suspension linkages help a lot when it comes to fighting off those forces. Their bushings are of greater quality to help last longer and the thicker construction nearly if not completely eliminates flex, which will give you a more solid and planted feel.
Sponsored