Sponsored

Vibration in steering at the edges of “dead spot”

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
As the title says, I’m experiencing a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, but only really on the edges of the dead spot. It occurs when applying pressure to the steering wheel to correct for drift in the lane, usually between speeds of 55 and 65, both to the left and right side. I’ve got a JLU Sport S, installed the JKS JSpec 2.5” lift with HD Springs, their fixed LCAs, and 35s on some pro comp steelies (weighing in at about 110lbs a piece). I just had the dealer balance the wheels when they did the tire rotation (gotta use the oil/tire rotations while they’re free) but the issue is still there.

Between reading tons of posts and watching videos, plus generally not being happy with the looseness of the steering prior to the lift and tires, I’ve got the synergy sector shaft brace, drag link and tie rod on order. I’m hoping that when those come in and I get them installed it’ll help with both the loose steering and the vibration.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be something else at issue here? I’ve got about 23k miles on it now, but only had this set up for about 4k....usually I’d say I don’t think the ball joints would have gone bad at this point, but based on the limited slip diff going bad and ending up with a new rear axle assembly, who knows.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
We're those heavy wheel/tire combos balanced on a road force balancer? If not, it may be worth having done at a properly tooled up tire shop.

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
We're those heavy wheel/tire combos balanced on a road force balancer? If not, it may be worth having done at a properly tooled up tire shop.
I’d have to check with the dealer here, not sure if they did road force balancing...based on kinda the other issues I’ve had with the local dealer, I doubt it. After I get the drag link/tie rod in stalled I’ll probably take it to a shop that comes highly recommended by the local club to do that and check the alignment (I know there’s not a ton of adjustment, especially with the fixed LCAs, but maybe just as a good starting point to decide if I need to upgrade to adjustable ones and just check everything over).
Thanks!

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
So with everyone else talking about their loose steering and the vehicle wandering, I’ve seen some posts and videos about adjusting the steering box; think that’s a viable option for tightening the steering and reducing/eliminating the wander and the dead spot? And when i say dead spot, it’s definitely just slack in the steering, I’ve got a few degrees left and right from center where nothing happens and then you can feel the pressure feed back from the tires (and the vibration at high way speeds) when I take up the slack.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’d have to check with the dealer here, not sure if they did road force balancing...based on kinda the other issues I’ve had with the local dealer, I doubt it. After I get the drag link/tie rod in stalled I’ll probably take it to a shop that comes highly recommended by the local club to do that and check the alignment (I know there’s not a ton of adjustment, especially with the fixed LCAs, but maybe just as a good starting point to decide if I need to upgrade to adjustable ones and just check everything over).
Thanks!
No problem at all!

Do you have adjustable track bars?

The printout from an alignment, showing where everything sits, is never a bad thing to have.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
No problem at all!

Do you have adjustable track bars?

The printout from an alignment, showing where everything sits, is never a bad thing to have.
Yessir, a beefier/adjustable one for the front came with the kit. The rear has a geometry/relocation bracket. As best I can tell everything is centered on the front and I’ve double checked a couple times all the torques.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I have a dead spot (like a lot of the folks in the 6000+ post loose steering thread), I am super sensitive with the steering behavior at this point and I don't notice any vibration as I transition from the edge of the dead spot to the point where the wheels start to react. if I did I would suspect wheel balance.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yessir, a beefier/adjustable one for the front came with the kit. The rear has a geometry/relocation bracket. As best I can tell everything is centered on )the front and I’ve double checked a couple times all the torques.
I suggest getting all 5 wheels rebalanced before changing out more parts. Then after you switch out the drag link and tie rod, bring it back in for an alignment.

Let us know how you make out.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
As the title says, I’m experiencing a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, but only really on the edges of the dead spot. It occurs when applying pressure to the steering wheel to correct for drift in the lane, usually between speeds of 55 and 65, both to the left and right side. I’ve got a JLU Sport S, installed the JKS JSpec 2.5” lift with HD Springs, their fixed LCAs, and 35s on some pro comp steelies (weighing in at about 110lbs a piece). I just had the dealer balance the wheels when they did the tire rotation (gotta use the oil/tire rotations while they’re free) but the issue is still there.

Between reading tons of posts and watching videos, plus generally not being happy with the looseness of the steering prior to the lift and tires, I’ve got the synergy sector shaft brace, drag link and tie rod on order. I’m hoping that when those come in and I get them installed it’ll help with both the loose steering and the vibration.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be something else at issue here? I’ve got about 23k miles on it now, but only had this set up for about 4k....usually I’d say I don’t think the ball joints would have gone bad at this point, but based on the limited slip diff going bad and ending up with a new rear axle assembly, who knows.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

I have similar experience with my JLU Sport S. Also considering the Synergy MFG tie rod, drag link and sector shaft brace. Curious how this works out for you.

Where did you order from? I can't seem to find anyone who has them in stock.

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
I have similar experience with my JLU Sport S. Also considering the Synergy MFG tie rod, drag link and sector shaft brace. Curious how this works out for you.

Where did you order from? I can't seem to find anyone who has them in stock.
I ordered from Northridge 4x4, they don’t have them in stock either, but free shipping and the litebrite discount makes the wait easier.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dmrooks

Dmrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
I suggest getting all 5 wheels rebalanced before changing out more parts. Then after you switch out the drag link and tie rod, bring it back in for an alignment.

Let us know how you make out.
So I’ve made an appointment...living out in the middle of the desert I get to drive 1.5 hours to Palm Springs to get it done.....I’ll let ya know how it goes!

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered from Northridge 4x4, they don’t have them in stock either, but free shipping and the litebrite discount makes the wait easier.
Can you share the lite bright code