VERY Rookie Question

jmm11116

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m buying my first new vehicle and I’m wanting to make sure my ducks are in a row. I live in Florida and my Wrangler is ready for pick up in Tennessee. I’m working on getting a cashiers check from my credit union for the down payment.

What is the most Barney style explanation you can give me for whatever else I need to do to be ready?

I know I need insurance before getting there. The $499 docking fee I can pay with a debit card, right?
Once I get back to Florida, what do I need for the DMV?

thanks!
Sponsored

tnedator

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU, 2017 Q7 -- on Order '22 JLU, GW & GC
I’m buying my first new vehicle and I’m wanting to make sure my ducks are in a row. I live in Florida and my Wrangler is ready for pick up in Tennessee. I’m working on getting a cashiers check from my credit union for the down payment.

What is the most Barney style explanation you can give me for whatever else I need to do to be ready?

I know I need insurance before getting there. The $499 docking fee I can pay with a debit card, right?

thanks!
The dealer should give you a packet with a bill of sale and a few other things, which is what the DMV will need.

Insurance, as you said. Depending on state regs, you might automatically have insurance on a new car purchase, but I always like to get them the VIN to be safe.

Not sure what the docking fee is, unless your dealer is charging a document fee. If so, you should be able to either pay with a card or have it added to the total for your credit union.

All in all, if you have a check/wire to pay dealership, it should be a pretty painless process and they should give you everything (often in a tidy envelope) you need to register the car with the DMV.

Also, most states, and I'm assuming Florida is one, will require you to pay sales tax on the car. One thing to clarify up front is that you aren't going to pay both TN and FL sales tax, as that could be a nasty surprise. I would hope that you could avoid the TN sales tax (if it's paid at registration) and only pay the FL sales tax to the DMV, but I don't know how those states operate.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Also, most states, and I'm assuming Florida is one, will require you to pay sales tax on the car. One thing to clarify up front is that you aren't going to pay both TN and FL sales tax, as that could be a nasty surprise. I would hope that you could avoid the TN sales tax (if it's paid at registration) and only pay the FL sales tax to the DMV, but I don't know how those states operate.
No problem paying TN state tax. FL will deduct the TN sales tax from their taxes (FL Resident here). The issue though is that you'll have to pay TN registration and then FL registration which will be a double whammy.

OP - what is the dealer saying? Talk to them vs the internet, dealers have different policies. Also verify they will take a cashiers check - with all the fraud, that may not be a guarantee.

I'm buying out of state. I'll finance through the dealer and they'll handle all paperwork for me. I'll fly in, sign some papers and drive it home.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
You shouldn't have to pay sales tax in TN, nor have it registered in TN. Dealer should give you a temp tag to get you home, then you go to the tax collector's office, register it, and pay sales tax. I have bought 2 brand new vehicles out of state this way. The first was in 2003 and was a Nissan, the second was a harley in 2006 - for the harley, they actually made me pay sales tax at the dealer, then the dealer gave me a check made out to florida for the sales tax. They said they had issues with out of state buyers trying to avoid sales tax.

However, the best advice I can give you is to call the dealership and ask them what the procedure will be, then call or e-mail your county's tax collector office and ask them.

Lastly, find out which state, if either, will you be covered under the lemon law. Sometimes when you buy out of state, you might not be covered at all. In 2003 FL would not cover an out of state purchase.

Sponsored

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
check the fusebox and confirm all are seated well with an easy push down......confirm also, any extras are included like freedom panel storage bag, jeep toolkit, etc., especially since the dealer you're buying from is a ways from home.
AND, drive safe on the way home==== smiling and jeep waving all the way!

R.jpg

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum

thanks!
How exciting!!!! Congrats!

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I just transferred plates from my ‘18 to my ‘21 at the DMV in Orange County FL. All I brought was my registration from my 18, my temp registration from PA, my insurance card, DL and buyers order. She was able to everything else. I had to park my Jeep in the VIN check where she had to confirm the VINs match. You can DM if you want, I’d be glad to help where I can!

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

thanks!
Congrats. Lot of Jeep knowledge on here for you to use when needed. :rock::jk:

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
check the fusebox and confirm all are seated well with an easy push down......confirm also, any extras are included like freedom panel storage bag, jeep toolkit, etc., especially since the dealer you're buying from is a ways from home.
AND, drive safe on the way home==== smiling and jeep waving all the way!

Jeep Wrangler JL VERY Rookie Question R
Fuses are definitely a thing. In theory, you shouldn’t have to check items like this … but, do it anyway. Also, bring a tire pressure gauge and check to see if the pressure is through the roof. Finally, I found a couple of my screws on my sound bar / roll-bar were not fully secure, which can make for an annoying rattle. Do a quick check when you get home.

A few little checks will save you a bit of frustration. Most importantly …. Enjoy your new ride!
Sponsored