Sponsored

Very noisy clanking from transfer case gear slop?

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Does everyone's Rubicon transfer case make this much noise?

I made a video of me pushing and pulling on the front bumper, and you can hear it clanking loudly. It also does this every time I shift (manual transmission). But the noise appears to be coming from lash/slack/slop in the transfer case.

Anyone else's do the same thing?

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2 Door JL Rubicon, same noise, never worried it was an issue.
Same here 28000+ miles 2018 JLR three years use off road lots miles toad behind RV not showing has this same sound nothing broke yet

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, sounds like it is somewhat normal then, an not cause for concern. Does your guys' also make this same sound when you go over speed bumps or when off-road over downhill bumps?

Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
You can help this by using a 15-50w full synthetic motor oil 50/50 mix with the ATF +4. If you live in the South ( never below freezing, full 15-50 .) Greatly reduces the noise. ATF is only about 5 weight oil.

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can help this by using a 15-50w full synthetic motor oil 50/50 mix with the ATF +4. If you live in the South ( never below freezing, full 15-50 .) Greatly reduces the noise. ATF is only about 5 weight oil.
I drive a manual

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Okay, sounds like it is somewhat normal then, an not cause for concern. Does your guys' also make this same sound when you go over speed bumps or when off-road over downhill bumps?
Yes of course, I believe the slop is specifically there because of the fact this is an off-road vehicle. If everything was as tight as can be I'd imagine off-roading could do some serious damage. You should hear the noises this thing makes when you stall on rocks at a 35* incline and you push the clutch in lol, literally sounds like something is imploding, but its just binding.

Gear oil is not going to make these noises go away.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drive a manual
You have a chain driven transfer case, correct? This will help with the noise. This is not just a Jeep thing. This for all chain driven t-case, no matter what is in front of it.

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have a chain driven transfer case, correct? This will help with the noise. This is not just a Jeep thing. This for all chain driven t-case, no matter what is in front of it.
Gotcha, thanks for the tip. At first I thought you were talking about the fluid in the auto transmission.

Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, t-case. Jeep, Dodge, Ford, Chevy want you to use ATF in t-case. It's ok nothing wrong with that, it's just very light weight oil ( best mpg possible ).

wtbman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the same noises and slop in the transfer case. It always sort of made a noise when putting it in reverse even when new but now with 25k miles it seems a bit more pronounced. I can now also feel the Jeep buck when it downshifts and the driveline hits the other end of the slop and the momentum hits. Seems like I have about the same slop and noises as the videos above. I lifted the back end and found the rear axle is pretty tight, though when it hits the end of the slop both ends of the driveline make a bit of noise though most of it is from the transfer case. I've never had a 4x4 truck make this much noise or have quite as much slop but then again I've never owned anything with a 4:1 transfer case so perhaps this is just a Rubicon thing. My manual truck in 4 low would make quite a bit of racket when pushing the clutch while bound up. Maybe I won't worry about it but see if it gets worse before the 5 year powertrain warranty is up. I also have flat towed my Jeep. Also this is the most tricky transfer case I've owned, getting it into and out of 4 low is difficult, must be done while rolling 2-3mph and shift everything just at the right time.

RubiconBravo

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR 3.6
My Local dealer replaced my transmission several months ago under warranty. Clunking gear issue is still persistent, I've been told by several local mechanics that my problem is most likely from the transfer case. I went under the Jeep and had my wife shift to R while I had my hand on the transfer case. The clunking noise and action DOES happen in the transfer case. I have a new appointment with the dealer on the 30th of May.
Video Below

Last edited:

AleksandreK

First Name
Aleksandre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2018
My Local dealer replaced my transmission several months ago under warranty. Clunking gear issue is still persistent, I've been told by several local mechanics that my problem is most likely from the transfer case. I went under the Jeep and had my wife shift to R while I had my hand on the transfer case. The clunking noise and action DOES happen in the transfer case. I have a new appointment with the dealer on the 30th of May.
Video Below

Im having exact the same issue.
Any update?

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I see you have a manual - there's a certain amount of driveline slop from the springs in the dual mass clutch, especially in four low, and I experience that as a back-and-forth jerking with a bit of clunking noise as well.
Sponsored