Sponsored

Very Loud Road Noise with Floor Plugs Removed?

rtc1085

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
For those of you that have removed the floor plugs to properly install the mopar all-weather mats, has anyone experienced unusually loud road noise from the passenger side?

I realize that we are essentially opening a direct hole to the outside but it seems odd that it is so loud and that it only comes from that side. I hear no noise coming from directly under me but it sounds like a window is open on the passenger side.

Just checking to see if I'm the only one!
Sponsored

Goes

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon firecracker red (soon)
For those of you that have removed the floor plugs to properly install the mopar all-weather mats, has anyone experienced unusually loud road noise from the passenger side?

I realize that we are essentially opening a direct hole to the outside but it seems odd that it is so loud and that it only comes from that side. I hear no noise coming from directly under me but it sounds like a window is open on the passenger side.

Just checking to see if I'm the only one!
I haven’t done this yet, but would it work to glue the cutout piece of carpeting to the bottom of the plug to help kill the noise?

OP
OP
rtc1085

rtc1085

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t done this yet, but would it work to glue the cutout piece of carpeting to the bottom of the plug to help kill the noise?
The carpet plugs are actually larger than the opening. It's hard to explain without seeing it. I'm sure you could cut it to fit and that might help, although it also would partially defeat the purpose of doing this in the first place. Not much water will get through the carpet easily.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
So, you have no plugs in the floor after installing the mats?

The plugs go back in the top of the mat.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
No unusual noise here, but I did put the plugs into the mat, as suggested here.

JL Rubi Khan

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Limited Edition (#1525 of 1964), 2016 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
Vehicle Showcase
So, you have no plugs in the floor after installing the mats?

The plugs go back in the top of the mat.
lol exactly... you remove the plugs after you cut the carpet holes, insert the weather mat, and then put the plug into the mat
jeep mat.jpg

OP
OP
rtc1085

rtc1085

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone. I knew I'd get the answer. Not sure why I didn't think of that, but for some reason I assumed they were to be left out so water could drain out of your boots, etc. Certainly makes more sense to put them back in though. Problem solved in a matter of minutes.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Thanks everyone. I knew I'd get the answer. Not sure why I didn't think of that, but for some reason I assumed they were to be left out so water could drain out of your boots, etc. Certainly makes more sense to put them back in though. Problem solved in a matter of minutes.
Jeep advertises those plugs as auto draining.

The wash-out interior features all-new, one-way drain valves in the floor to let the water flow out but not back in. Just remove the carpet and you can wash out the interior with a hose.

I would love to see someone test it by pouring some water on their mats over the drain plug to see how quickly they drain.
Sponsored