Very likely new purchase and a few last minute questions

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, BMW M5 E34
First off, I posted this to a FB group a day or so ago and due to both lack of replied and time, I've essentially reposted here, hope thats ok...

I'm considering buying a 2020 2 door JL Rubicon with the 2.0 Petrol engine this week and would appreciate some feedback on some questions I have.
Firstly, I am coming from a Grand Cherokee WK2 and a WJ before that but until a week or so ago, had never driven a Wrangler.
I firstly drove a 4 door Sahara with same engine but the more compact size of the 2 door and look of the Rubicon won me over. I have to admit, I was surprised how different both cars drove. I'm not sure how much of this was Sahara v Rubicon and how much of this was 4 door v 2 door.
The Rubicon felt more loose and wayward on the road, requiring more attention and input. Certainly not wk2 like by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway, I've been reading some horror stories relating to leaks and such and this has placed some concerning last minute doubts in my head and was hoping for a few comments here.

1) The poor windscreen defroster, which appears to be well documented, as in air only reaching the centre area of the window.
After reading about this, I tested the 2 door I was looking at in terms of feeling the air flow and it for sure does not come out the ends and is only centred around the middle of the windscreen, how much of a problem is this?
Does this cause fogging on the inside of the screen in cold conditions to the extend that you have to wipe the inside of the windscreen?
This is pretty important, I'm from the UK and while we don't get really cold winters, however I find I have suffered with freezing condensation on the inside of the windscreen with both my previous 2 Jeeps.
The difference with them of course being that the air is properly deflected towards all areas of the screen.

2) As a follow on from my previous point, what is the inside like in colder conditions? Are we seeing frost inside the car? There are a lot of metal surfaces in there and I'm imagining a lot of
condensation on said cold surfaces.

3) Brakes, I noticed with both cars I drove that the brakes seemed really poor and when I say poor, I mean, not sensitive, having to really push that pedal to bring the car to a halt. Would
this be considered normal? Again, I'm comparing to my WK2 which has very sensitive and indeed very capable brakes.

4) Being the 2 door I'm interested in which is more down to the lack of room to manoeuvre in my drive (the WK2 managed but not quite convinced the JLU would). So with the 2 door, naturally you need to move the seat forward to allow passengers in and out of the rear and my concern is that the seat doesn't return to its normal position.
What are the thoughts on this? Will I be looking to have to make adjustments every time I let someone in or out of the back?

5) Finally, fuel economy and I'd be particularly interested in feedback from UK owners on this one as to what sort of mileage you're returning.

Thanks in advance, all comments and advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I drive a 2020 2dr Rubicon and love it. I have always liked the 2dr as a traditionalist. I found it drove better than a 4dr. This is a personal feeling that others would say the 4dr is better. Never had any issue with the defroster. Some on here found a solution by plugging some holes and forcing air to outside. Never had any frost inside...in fact I think you could cook a turkey in the Jeep, they have great heaters. The seats will return to previous location when you use the top seat lever. It will go right back to distance and seat back setting you had.

Good luck with your decision.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Oops. Fuel economy...22-24 with the 2.0 T. I run 91 or 93 octane. Some get same results with the 87 or 89.

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
First off, I posted this to a FB group a day or so ago and due to both lack of replied and time, I've essentially reposted here, hope thats ok...

I'm considering buying a 2020 2 door JL Rubicon with the 2.0 Petrol engine this week and would appreciate some feedback on some questions I have.
Firstly, I am coming from a Grand Cherokee WK2 and a WJ before that but until a week or so ago, had never driven a Wrangler.
I firstly drove a 4 door Sahara with same engine but the more compact size of the 2 door and look of the Rubicon won me over. I have to admit, I was surprised how different both cars drove. I'm not sure how much of this was Sahara v Rubicon and how much of this was 4 door v 2 door.
The Rubicon felt more loose and wayward on the road, requiring more attention and input. Certainly not wk2 like by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway, I've been reading some horror stories relating to leaks and such and this has placed some concerning last minute doubts in my head and was hoping for a few comments here.

1) The poor windscreen defroster, which appears to be well documented, as in air only reaching the centre area of the window.
After reading about this, I tested the 2 door I was looking at in terms of feeling the air flow and it for sure does not come out the ends and is only centred around the middle of the windscreen, how much of a problem is this?
Does this cause fogging on the inside of the screen in cold conditions to the extend that you have to wipe the inside of the windscreen?
This is pretty important, I'm from the UK and while we don't get really cold winters, however I find I have suffered with freezing condensation on the inside of the windscreen with both my previous 2 Jeeps.
The difference with them of course being that the air is properly deflected towards all areas of the screen.

2) As a follow on from my previous point, what is the inside like in colder conditions? Are we seeing frost inside the car? There are a lot of metal surfaces in there and I'm imagining a lot of

3) Brakes, I noticed with both cars I drove that the brakes seemed really poor and when I say poor, I mean, not sensitive, having to really push that pedal to bring the car to a halt. Would
this be considered normal? Again, I'm comparing to my WK2 which has very sensitive and indeed very capable brakes.

4) Being the 2 door I'm interested in which is more down to the lack of room to manoeuvre in my drive (the WK2 managed but not quite convinced the JLU would). So with the 2 door, naturally you need to move the seat forward to allow passengers in and out of the rear and my concern is that the seat doesn't return to its normal position.
What are the thoughts on this? Will I be looking to have to make adjustments every time I let someone in or out of the back?

5) Finally, fuel economy and I'd be particularly interested in feedback from UK owners on this one as to what sort of mileage you're returning.

A lot to consider here. The 2 door Wranglers ride a bit differently than the 4 doors. The 2 doors feel more sporty and the 4 doors feel a more comfy to me, especially if you have rear passengers.

The Sahara will ride better than the Rubicon as the suspension tuning is different and tires are less aggressive. Rubicon is better suited to off-road and fitting larger tires than than other models, but certainly not necessary as a cheap Wrangler is still quite the billy goat off pavement.
My four door is quite easy to whip into a parking space with no concerns about moving the front seats back in place. I am glad I went with the 4 door, though I originally wanted the 2 door.

As far as fuel economy, this really varies on the aftermarket equipment affixed to the responder's Jeep. A lift, 35s, heavy bumpers, winch, etc all add weight which will lower fuel economy. Also, how it is driven also affects the MPG or LPG in your case. anything over 65 mph kills my fuel economy, yet in town, I can manage much better. The 2.0T in my Jeep has plenty of grunt though. Hope you get some good feedback from UK persons here. FWIW, I vary between 18 - 23 MPG and I have all the heavy stuff that adds weight and kills aerodynamics of the barn I am driving on 87 octane.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

1... One of the best things I like about Wranglers is the quick and easy DIY fixes. Should you have to? No, but I find this a very educational and fun part of ownership. For your defroster concern, see here... it's these guys.

2... I've never had frost on the interior...I've also seen no complaints of this. If you have a bad seal, yes, it's possible. For temperature concerns, I recommend reading through the threads about Hothead Liners. The heating works fine, but it's either hot, or it's not. Getting a comfortable temperature setting can be challenging.

3... No problems I have or know of. I'm told brakes are kinda important. ;)

4... I have a 2-door so I'm biased... I have no need for more than 1 passenger and I'm not that popular. I've removed my back seat ...no need for it and I use the extra space for gear, tools, and the golf bag. I'm not sure there's a 'normal' seating position, but of course you'll be able to return the seat to the position you find most comfortable. You can always mark the original position.

5... I'm not a UK owner, but "fuel economy" and "Wrangler" don't belong in the same sentence. Still, I'm happy with my JL.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher

As far as the steering/ride quality, It's a combination of both. The 2-door has a different steering gearbox requiring about 1/2 to almost 1 full turn more to go from lock to lock than a 4-door. The wider and more aggressive off-road rated tires will also make it feel a bit more loose.

I've had my 2-door Sport JL with just a soft top through two winters already, and Northeast US winters are strange. We get really cold days, plenty of snow sometimes, then warmer temperatures, along with high humidity and rain. I have no complaints about windshield defrosting or frost setting on cold surfaces on the interior. It also heats up really quick since it's got a small interior.

The brake pedal feel could be improved for sure, though I think it's probably more to do with the fact that the 2.0 is a turbo engine and I'm not sure if it still runs a traditional vacuum brake booster. My wife's JLU has the 3.6 with the same brakes and it just "feels" better, even though it's longer and slightly heavier.

The rear seat area isn't a concern IMO - I have two teenagers that climb in/out frequently. It can only accommodate two passengers though; it does not have a 3rd seatbelt in the middle like the JLU.

And I know you're looking for UK owner fuel economy responses, but I'll say that the 2.0 is great in my 2-door. My commute is 10 miles of suburban traffic with speeds reaching 45 mph for brief periods and it gets about 21 mpg.

Good luck on your decision!

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Another potential on the handling quirks, the factory/dealership like to air the tires up to 45+ psi and it makes for twitchy handling/hard riding, in my opinion.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I’ve always had 2dr’s, and find the JL the best jeep ever. My Sport S 2.0 (running 33” KO2’s, Rockhard aluminum bumpers and winch) is consistently in the mid 20’s (US gallons) with a good bit of 70-75 mph stuff. Driving “conservatively” and trying for mileage it has hit 30. A Rubi will be slightly less due to added weight and different gearing.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Guys, keep in mind that he is in the UK (England). Rubicons there have 32” tires, all terrains I believe, and they don’t have the high fenders.

If you have rear passenegrs on a regular basis, a 4 door may be a better choice. For the occasional rear seat passenger a 2 door will suffice. Also, with a 2 door, the rear seat can easily be removed and then you have a large cargo area. The 2 door is also very nimble on the trails which also translates to being easy to park and maneuver in town.

My hardtop never leaked. Keeping the windshield clear has never been an issue and I have notice no condensation inside during cold weather. How often does it get below 0c there anyway?

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
2: Wranglers (for a few generations now) have oversized HVAC systems to deal with their poor insulation. You will find both the heat and AC to be more than capable of maintaining a comfortable cabin, especially the 2 door with its smaller interior volume.

4: The passenger seat tilts forward and slides more than the driver's. In general, you will let rear seat passengers in and out of the passenger side. This means even if the seat doesn't return to your passenger's preference, it is not impacting you, the driver. So it's a non issue.

You need to use the seat back mounted lever to slide forward AND return the seat back to its normal position. If you attempt to use the recline lever instead, or just push back on the slide, it will end up in a weird state.

Sponsored

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate all the replies, decision time over the next day or so.

Thanks again...

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

The looseness on the road of the 2dr is mostly from the shorter wheelbase. The Rubicon suspension is also stiffer. IIRC, the WK2 has IFS while the Wranglers have live front axles. That makes a big difference on road and will be most pronounced in a 2dr. Most 2dr owners thinks this makes it more fun to drive. If you think it's bad, try driving an older Wrangler. The JL is a huge improvement in road handling.

1) Defroster.
I'm in a severe winter environment. The stock defroster does over-vent the center and under-vent the sides. The fix of putting plugs in the center vent holes works perfectly. It may not even be necessary for you but if it is, there is a simple cheap fix.

2) Cold conditions
The jeep heater is like a blowtorch. It's designed to keep you warm with the top down. No worries.

3) Brakes
I never noticed an issue with the brakes, I suppose it depends on what you're coming from. Jeeps are made for rough hard treatment so don't expect cushiness.

4) Moving seats for rear seat access.
Don't worry about it. The seats tilt forward then slide forward for rear seat access. This is separate from the seat adjustments. Just push the seat back at the shoulder and it slides back and reclines to exactly where it was before.

5) Fuel Economy
I'm not in the UK but you will get better mileage in the 2dr. Probably better than I do because you're at much lower elevation.

OKKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR Recon
I have a 2020 2 door rubicon with a hard top and 4 cylinder.

1. I have had the upper and lower corners collect ice to the point of making the wipers stop contacting the wind shield properly at highway speeds during freezing rain. I just stopped and scraped it off about every 20 miles.

2. The heater puts out plenty of heat.

3. Brakes - At first I thought they were very poor, but I went from a GT Premium Mustang to the JL. After driving the wifes Explorer, the JL brakes seem average.
I had several deer run out in front of me one night where I had to hit the brakes as hard as I could. There was no tire lockup and the Jeep tracked straight wherever the wheel was pointed. I was happy with this.

4. Use the lever at the top of the seat back for folding and moving the seat forward. The seat will then slide back to the previous position.

5. I get 19-20 mpg using 87 octane on mostly highway with hills at 65 mph. My mpg is very speed dependant. On a toll road at 85 mph my mpg drops to the low teens. On a back road with a 45 mph limit, I get about 30 mpg.

SecretChimp

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
If your main reason for the 2 door over the 4 door is maneuverability in your driveway, you should test drive a 4 door and perhaps take it to your driveway to try. They have a relatively tight turning radius. Mine is noticeably more maneuverable than my other vehicles.

edit: I see you drive a 4 door Sahara, but still perhaps try it in your driveway .

Last edited:
OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
edit: I see you drive a 4 door Sahara, but still perhaps try it in your driveway .
I did have the option of trying the 4 door in my driveway, but given I have struggled with my wk2 for the past 3 years, I thought I'd play safe and go for the 2 door and seeing as there was a 2 door Rubicon available at the time, I decided to go with that.

The thing is, my driveway is large enough for 2 cars but it's the maneuvering I need to do to actually get in and out of the drive that is the problem and don't get my wrong, I have been managing it with my wk2 but it would be nice to not to have to concentrate just so much each time.

Hopefully pick it up next week, so we'll see how it goes. I will for sure miss the boot (trunk) and space and rear doors though...
Sponsored