Sponsored

Verified: Engine Start-Stop (ESS) Standard on 3.6L Pentastar 2018 Wrangler Engine

J.R. Quimby

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ Sport
Sitting with left turn signal on having to cross busy street, engine cuts. Yeah, FCA? That moment it needs to start and get you rolling again is sort of dangerous. In the real world, you dont always have text book perfect moments when you can safely cross busy traffic, sometimes you have to pick your holes and gun it. Perhaps disable turning off when waiting with signal on?
Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I've been under there and I don't remember seeing that. I'll have to look again tomorrow. Good find, if it pans out!
Well? Does yours have the second battery. You were very sure that they only had one battery then you went yo look and we never heard from you again.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I learned something driving from Las Vegas to Phoenix yesterday with new Rubicon. If I only push enough on the brake pedal to keep the jeep from rolling forward in gear the start stop does not engage. The engine keeps running while I sit at red light. If I press a little harder on the brake pedal then the engine stops.. This gives me the option to stop or not stop the engine while I wait.
This may just be the way mine works and not all are like this. Hope it keeps working like this.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
ESS works great and unobtrusively, IMO, but you can temporarily disable it with the push of a button if you wish. I have a manual, so it kicks in when stopped in neutral with the clutch out, and restarts instantly when you depress the clutch.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I learned something driving from Las Vegas to Phoenix yesterday with new Rubicon. If I only push enough on the brake pedal to keep the jeep from rolling forward in gear the start stop does not engage. The engine keeps running while I sit at red light. If I press a little harder on the brake pedal then the engine stops.. This gives me the option to stop or not stop the engine while I wait.
This may just be the way mine works and not all are like this. Hope it keeps working like this.
I've learned the same, feather the brake and it doesn't engage. The brake needs to be firmly pressed for it to kick in. My wife's GC is the same.

Sponsored

isaaydin

First Name
Isa Aydin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2018, JL Rubicon 4xe 2021
it would be also nice if that feature worked as advertised ))) Got my brand new JL Wrangler 4 days ago and it already gives error start/stop not ready. Battery in protection mode. It's a common problem on all JLs now. 500 miles was too much for it to work properly. I see hundreds of people reporting same issue. There are reports since May and they are still selling them without fixing it. As far as people comment it's a very easy fix which needs to change a relay for $10 but the problem is that it takes a week to order a part which means you have to drive twice to service. I think it's just a shame to have such problem on a car that costs $50k.

IMG_3734.jpg

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Over 3000 miles and mine works exactly as intended. All JLs? Hundreds of them? On what facts do you base that statement?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
it would be also nice if that feature worked as advertised ))) Got my brand new JL Wrangler 4 days ago and it already gives error start/stop not ready. Battery in protection mode. It's a common problem on all JLs now. 500 miles was too much for it to work properly. I see hundreds of people reporting same issue. There are reports since May and they are still selling them without fixing it. As far as people comment it's a very easy fix which needs to change a relay for $10 but the problem is that it takes a week to order a part which means you have to drive twice to service. I think it's just a shame to have such problem on a car that costs $50k.
Which relay?

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
It would be awesome if just a single relay could disable it and make it easier for people who hate it to bypass it permanently.
Sponsored