Sponsored

Verified: Engine Start-Stop (ESS) Standard on 3.6L Pentastar 2018 Wrangler Engine

The Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited, Future JT Pickup (hopefully)
My understanding is they offer this if a customer asks for it only as a dealer programmable option and they started doing this in 2012. Eventually they made 'default to last state' standard.

Five years later I have not heard of any other car-maker offering this.
I would think EPA requires all systems need to be active and on upon ignition start up for it to be counted towards the claimed MPG.

I have not heard of complaints about the car hesitating or jerking in the ESS system in the Cherokee. It should be very smooth and seamless. Also in total stop and go it will not even engage. If it doesn't reach the 5MPH threshold after the previous auto-stop it won't auto stop. There's a lot of instances it won't auto stop.

Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop

Prior to engine shut down, the system will check many safety and comfort conditions to see if they are fulfilled. Detailed information about the operation of the Stop/ Start system may be viewed in the DID Stop/Start Screen. In the following situations, the engine will not stop:
  • Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
  • Driver’s door is not closed.
  • Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
  • Battery charge is low.
  • The vehicle is on a steep grade.
  • Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an accept- able cabin temperature has not been achieved.HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
  • HVAC set to MAX A/C.
  • Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
  • The transmission is not in a forward gear.
  • Hood is open.
  • Vehicle is in 4LO transfer case mode
  • Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.
Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include
  • Accelerator pedal input
  • Engine temp too high
  • 5 MPH threshold not achieved from previous AUTO- STOP.
  • Steering angle beyond threshold.
  • ACC is on and speed is set.
Sponsored

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
FWIW, we had a Durango loaner with ESS for about 2 weeks not long ago and never found the system to be intrusive or problematic. Yeah, it takes a bit of getting used to having the engine shut off when you're waiting at a light, but in around-town driving I never felt like it caused any delay in getting going again. The engine starts up in less time than it takes you to move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal and unless you're two-footing it or just really fast/heavy onto the gas pedal I can't see it causing any hesitation. The weather at the time was pretty mild, if a bit on the chilly side, so I can't really comment on how it effected the A/C system. If I had my choice I'd probably rather not have such a system, but it was certainly not anything that would keep us from purchasing a vehicle.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
  • Battery charge is low.
A few items on this list do make me worry about longevity. That the system is actually taxing the engine/battery more than it needs to be, causing more wear and tear quicker.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
  • Battery charge is low.
A few items on this list do make me worry about longevity. That the system is actually taxing the engine/battery more than it needs to be, causing more wear and tear quicker.
No doubt. Think about the starter alone. Just for my commute to work, I stop for stop signs and lights on average 10 times each way. My commute is mostly highway driving. So let's figure each day I travel to work round trip, my starter is starting my engine 20 times vs 2 times without ESS. My starter is being used at minimum 10 times more per day with ESS. Is the new starter designed to perform 10x longer than a regular starter? I sure hope so.

Good thing we have the ability to turn ESS off with a dashboard button.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
No doubt. Think about the starter alone. Just for my commute to work, I stop for stop signs and lights on average 10 times each way. My commute is mostly highway driving. So let's figure each day I travel to work round trip, my starter is starting my engine 20 times vs 2 times without ESS. My starter is being used at minimum 10 times more per day with ESS. Is the new starter designed to perform 10x longer than a regular starter? I sure hope so.

Good thing we have the ability to turn ESS off with a dashboard button.
If it is the same system as the Grand Cherokee, the new heavy duty starter for ESS is rated at 300,000 starts. There is also a dedicated second, smaller battery for ESS.

Sponsored

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Some Grand Cherokee owners have gotten creative in disabling ESS. This is one method an owner came up with:

The ESS system requires multiple inputs and all certain parameters must be met for it to work.
I found a very easy 2 minute fix to disable the system permanently. Disable hood closed signal button.

Raise the hood, at front left is a hood button, 1) squeeze button base at mount plate, pull it upward out of mount plate.
2) Disconnect pigtail plug coming through mount plate to switch, reconnect to switch (not through mount plate) and strap or tuck switch below that area. 3) Close hood and enjoy the ESS no longer!

You will get 2 messages the first couple times you drive at about 20 mph that the Stop/Start system has failed. After the initial messages it no longer gives any warning.

My manual shows that a "hood is open" light should show up in the instrument cluster. But I don't see one and don't see any other adverse effects.
If this particular method doesn't work I'm sure somewhere someone with a JL/JLU/JT will come up with their own steps to a permanent ESS defeat.

Gavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Subaru Forester, Toyota Prado, soon JL Wrangler?
FWIW, we had a Durango loaner with ESS for about 2 weeks not long ago and never found the system to be intrusive or problematic. Yeah, it takes a bit of getting used to having the engine shut off when you're waiting at a light, but in around-town driving I never felt like it caused any delay in getting going again. The engine starts up in less time than it takes you to move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal and unless you're two-footing it or just really fast/heavy onto the gas pedal I can't see it causing any hesitation. The weather at the time was pretty mild, if a bit on the chilly side, so I can't really comment on how it effected the A/C system. If I had my choice I'd probably rather not have such a system, but it was certainly not anything that would keep us from purchasing a vehicle.
I agree! Stop-start is 99% seamless in my Subaru Forester, AND I can turn it off, AND having it means an upgraded battery etc is fitted...

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
No need to worry about that. With ESS both heat and air conditioning continue to work after engine shuts off. The heater core stays hot and the evaporator stays cold after the engine is off and the fan keeps blowing air through the evaporator or heater core. Also, if you have air conditioning on max, ESS doesn't shut off the engine.
Ever lived in an area with high humidity and/or an area with 100+ degree temps? If you say manually shut off the AC compressor you can feel the air get warm/muggy almost instantly, so it would be the same when ESS activated.

Nothing like feeling the blast of cold, humid air when the compressor kicks back in.

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
You can also avoid ESS kicking in by just being lighter on the brake. It won't come on if brakes are lightly touched.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Here's how ESS worked in the manual Wrangler

"... Jeep Wrangler's diesel engine, when paired with the manual transmission, incorporates Stop/Start technology - the first application of this technology on a Chrysler Group vehicle. With Stop/Start, the engine is shut off when the vehicle is stopped, the shift gear is in Neutral, and the clutch is released. The engine then restarts automatically when the clutch pedal is depressed. Drivers can deactivate the technology via a button on the dashboard, and an icon displays in the instrument panel to indicate the Stop/Start status. ..."
That would be fine with me; I can't remember the last time I've had any of my manual transmission cars in neutral except when coasting for one reason or another.

Sounds like ESS would be a nightmare when on a group trail run, given you have a lot of stops and are on an incline so need to apply the brakes quite firmly.

Whenever I've had a rental with ESS it's usually worked to let it stop then inch forward slightly and the car won't shut itself off a second time until you've been driving for a bit.

Sponsored

Dennis Hopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
Rented a Grand Cherokee recently with the ESS...... Hated it and would find any way to disable it, if I ever purchase any vehicle with it. Why don't they disable it from start and let you enable it if you want it. I dislike it when Mfg's think they know what's best for the consumers.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Rented a Grand Cherokee recently with the ESS...... Hated it and would find any way to disable it, if I ever purchase any vehicle with it. Why don't they disable it from start and let you enable it if you want it. I dislike it when Mfg's think they know what's best for the consumers.
I rented a stick shift Audi A3 in Germany last week with ESS. Maybe it was my style of driving, but the engine was turning on/off too much for my liking. There was sometimes a slight lag if power was needed quickly while the engine restarted. I didn't see a way to turn off the ESS on the Audi. Overall it was driveable with the ESS, but I hope the new Wrangler doesn't require switching ESS off every time the vehicle is driven.

Also I question if ESS is in a way robbing Peter to pay Paul. I have read that starting an engine can be a significant wear point, due to the small amount of time while oil pressure builds to normal. So does the minor fuel savings (benefit to manufacturer mpg standards), have a hidden cost down the road in terms of additional engine wear (which by that time maybe the manufacturer will not be on the hook).

I tend to take care of and hang onto vehicles for quite a while. So engine wear down the road, or having to lay out cash for a more expensive starter/ancillary related to ESS after warranty, is more of a big deal for me than some other owners who might get rid of a vehicle earlier.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you want to blame somebody, blame the EPA, not the manufacturers. After all, they are just trying to find ways to meet the ridiculous CAFE requirements that Obama threw into their faces.

I don't know about you guys, but I find myself sitting at red lights, sitting in fast food drive-thrus, etc. feeling money flying out of my wallet as my engine idles and I'm going nowhere. I personally think ESS technology is an excellent idea that makes common sense.

The issue that guys are wondering about is this: at 3% estimated improvement, that's actually LESS than 1 MPG gained. If those numbers are true, then is it worth the cost of different batteries, different starters, etc. which will all cost more to replace on down the road after warranty is expired?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The new jeep compass manual tranny does not include ESS but the auto tranny does. Maybe it will be same for JL. No ESS with manual tranny, only the auto.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I don't know about you guys, but I find myself sitting at red lights, sitting in fast food drive-thrus, etc. feeling money flying out of my wallet as my engine idles and I'm going nowhere. I personally think ESS technology is an excellent idea that makes common sense.
But imagine being on a trail run where every time you come to a stop to wait for the vehicle in front of you your engine shuts itself off and then restarts.

At least for the trail runs I've been on, that's a start/stop every few minutes; you can always shut your engine off yourself rather than idle if you so choose.
Sponsored