Sponsored

Verified: Engine Start-Stop (ESS) Standard on 3.6L Pentastar 2018 Wrangler Engine

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'm more worried about engine/accessory wear and tear. Now you are starting and stopping your engine maybe 10x or more per day than you would normally just taking a trip to the store. I know car manufacturers claim they have beefed up starters, flywheels, batteries etc. to handle the extra load but not sure I trust them.

I guess you just have to make a habit of pressing that dash button each time you start your engine (until you wear out the button) or buy an override device.

It certainly won't keep me from purchasing a JLU.

Auto Stop/Start will be standard in every vehicle very soon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
What are people doing for the F-150?

I've read a trailer hitch brake light tricks the system into thinking you are pulling a trailer therefore deactivating the auto start/stop.

I didn't read anything in the owners manual about towing deactivating the auto start/stop for the Grand Cherokee like it does for the F-150.

Wait it kills power to the hvac? i thought the battery keeps it going even if its less effective.
Yes less effective, sorry I mistyped. Living in the Sunbelt you may as well kill the AC how ineffective it becomes just running on the battery. I rarely run AC on max in my vehicle after getting it started and initially cooled down. The fan however usually remains on high with the temp turned all the way down. Running AC just on the battery here in South Florida you may as well have all the windows down and stick your head outside as effective as it is.

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
A Question ! Will It Come with D.I. ? ? ?

Look on the Back of the Cylinder Heads and see if there is an "Extension" on the Casting where the C/L of one of the Cams is. There Would be some Related Gas Line Plumbing Too.

I Would Only be on One Side.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
I don't like the idea of ESS especially if we're not given a choice to turn it off permanently. So I went searching and found this!

http://www.smartstopstart.com

It's an OBD II device that you just leave plugged in and "It will allow your vehicle to automatically recall whether ESS was on or off the last time you drove and place it back into the same state the next time you drive."

Says it works on the Durango and Jeep Gran Cherokee, so no reason it'll probably work for the JL Wrangler too.

Nice find so disabling it is simple as simple as plugging this into OBV port? This guy is about to make a lot more money now that ESS is coming to the Wrangler.

snapshot-1-9-11-2016-3-17-pm.png

snapshot-3-9-11-2016-3-19-pm.png

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

The main benefit would be city driving and stop/go traffic when you're idling a lot but that is exactly when I would want to turn it off. Imagine ESS turning the engine on and off every 10 secs... not only would that be very annoying but I'd worry about the long term effects on the engine. It must contribute to some wear and tear.

Sponsored

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
A Question ! Will It Come with D.I. ? ? ?

Look on the Back of the Cylinder Heads and see if there is an "Extension" on the Casting where the C/L of one of the Cams is. There Would be some Related Gas Line Plumbing Too.

I Would Only be on One Side.
The Hurricane 2.0L turbo will come with direct injection so I'd hope the new Pentastar will too if it's supposed to be the top of the line engine for the JL.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Another reason I'd like to see a system where the electric motor propels the vehicle, THEN starts the engine. If the engine refuses to start, at least you can get it out of the way. Also, with 100% torque at 0rpm, it'd fix turbo lag, and also hill starts could be done without depressing the clutch. Seems like a mild hybrid/start stop/golf cart drive train would be Wrangler panacea.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
Hum.. A thought occurred to me. Being old school I'm not familiar with this technology.. but after touring the local carmax.. I noticed 32 jeep Grand Cherokees on their lot and I'd say most of these have this system installed and could be the reason those Grands are at the carmax.. if this technology has been install on the JT I doubt I or my wife would be interested in this unless we can use a device which was mentioned earlier to simply shut this system down/off. Again without knowing.. and If we come to a stop.. what if this system fails to active when the light turns green.. I'd hate to see my wife have a break down when I'm not along.. So someone please either reassure me/us this system is safe or can be disabled completely.

Update:

I've just learn that this system is suppose to be implemented into all vehicles (2018 & above) and can't be disabled or deactivated.. Can anyone verify this?.. Does this mean the 2.0 & the 3.0 diesel would have this system also?.
If that OBD-II port device doesn't work, someone else will figure out ways to disable completely or at least have it remember last setting. I don't think you should let it affect your car purchase decision. We'll see it in all cars in a few years time so unless you plan to be used, you won't be able to avoid it.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK

If this system is installed on the 2018/19 Jeep truck (which all indication point to it being so) it will turn us off to wanting any new vehicle.. These types of systems are getting out of hand.. just search for topics relating to "why wont my vehicle start etc" If Jeep installs this system in the new JL or JT it will it's downfall.. All this makes us want to buy an older truck without all these electronic gadgets..
As far as what I've seen on forums, malfunctions with ESS isn't very common. Remember what you read online often seems like a bigger problem than it may actually be because people come online to complain about issues, but nobody comes online to post about how their ESS is working properly.

Anyways most of the complaints I've seen are from owners who don't like the feeling of the engine stopping and starting often, and also from not being able to disable the system. I don't want ESS either but I'm not gonna rule out the JL just because of it. If I don't like it in person I'll just buy an aftermarket device to disable it.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
So I'm wondering for all those who might want to avoid the ESS system (partly) purchase the manual transmission and always take it out of gear when coming to a stop thus the system would not activate. Would my theory be correct on this assumption?
I don't think auto stop/start is available for manual transmissions, at least I hope not. Imagine trying to teach someone to drive stick with an auto stop/start system.

Edit: auto stop/start has been used in manual transmissions in europe that operate when the clutch is depressed.

I test drove a 2016 JKU with 6 speed manual thinking I wanted a manual transmission. I've had stick shift in every vehicle I've owned. After driving the JKU, I decided an auto is the way to go. The clutch was light with no feel and the shift throws were long. It was not fun to drive. I suppose if a short shifter kit was available it might make it better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Here's how ESS worked in the manual Wrangler

"... Jeep Wrangler's diesel engine, when paired with the manual transmission, incorporates Stop/Start technology - the first application of this technology on a Chrysler Group vehicle. With Stop/Start, the engine is shut off when the vehicle is stopped, the shift gear is in Neutral, and the clutch is released. The engine then restarts automatically when the clutch pedal is depressed. Drivers can deactivate the technology via a button on the dashboard, and an icon displays in the instrument panel to indicate the Stop/Start status. ..."

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
Interesting development this morning.

I tried to explain the ESS system to my wife even after we drove the Grand Cherokee.. Even though I don't like the system.. my wife was furious about it. Her face gets all red when we talked about this. After telling her to watch her blood pressure.. Otherwise we do not like someone telling us (You and I) how to drive. At one point my wife even said:

"Why don't we take up a petition to have this system removed from our vehicles?."

I, not knowing how or if this is even possible.. If someone here or elsewhere was to create an online petition etc we would gladly sign it in order to remove the ESS system from all vehicles not just the new Jeep Wrangler.
Good luck with that petition, CAFE restrictions etc. are all pushing manufacturers to be as "fuel efficient" as possible. Eventually this will be on all vehicles, but for now is just a select few, most Euro car brands have had this for years it's just now starting to creep into the US market. At least you can disable it with a button and avoid it for now. It's an asinine system to put into place (especially if you live in more heat or colder areas) but that slight uptick in fuel savings the manufacturer can claim makes for millions saved from paying the Government fines.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I realize several of you have said that the system can be turned off (I think) by pressing the button located on the center console. I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that this will completely disable to the system.
You can disable the Auto Stop/Start by pressing the button on the dash. The problem is that it defaults to "ON" with each new key ignition start, just like Traction Control. If you are going off-roading simply press the button to turn the system "OFF". Just have to make a habit of turning the system OFF every time you start the vehicle if you want it disabled. The Ford jumper wire hack tricks the system into thinking the button is constantly being pushed (just like having your finger on the button at all times), therefore disabling the system at start up automatically. The OBD-II device probably does something similar.

There are far too many "unknowns" about the JL to keep my mind busy (MSRP, Top Options, Gearing Options, Standard Features, MPG, etc.) than to worry about ESS that will soon make its way into every vehicle in the next few years. Hopefully car makers will always give us a way to disable it. If not, then the aftermarket community certainly will. I'm sure certain states will soon make ESS disabling devices illegal...just wait.

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
What if one is allowed to disable the system while off roading by creating a street & off road mode. Once switched to street mode, the system becomes active in order to save fuel as suggested by those who require us to have this system implemented.. Yet switching the system to an off road mode as not to stall or have the engine simply shut down while in an extreme off road situations. I think if something like this was implemented into the ESS system, We might think twice about having and/or accepting this system within our Jeep's like it or not.
The Grand Cherokee already does something similar. The ESS is disabled when "Vehicle is in 4LO transfer case mode". Hopefully JL will have a similar system where ESS is automatically disabled if in 4WD.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
The Grand Cherokee already does something similar. The ESS is disabled when "Vehicle is in 4LO transfer case mode". Hopefully JL will have a similar system where ESS is automatically disabled if in 4WD.
Hope it is automatic shut off when in 4WD. Imagine situation where you forgot to turn off ESS and you're making a real tricky move up a steep cliff face or over boulders and your engine cuts after you pause for a couple seconds to consider your next move. Could be disastrous.
Sponsored