Sponsored

Verified: Engine Start-Stop (ESS) Standard on 3.6L Pentastar 2018 Wrangler Engine

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

JL Wrangler Forums has just verified that the updated Pentastar 3.6-liter V6 engine that will be available for the 2018 Jeep Wrangler will in fact come standard with Engine Start-Stop (ESS) technology.

We've learned that while the ESS feature can be turned off it will default to "on" with each ignition cycle, similar to the way it operates on other FCA vehicles that offer the feature.

FCA debuted its engine start-stop technology in North America in the 2013 Ram 1500 full-size pickup which it reported to account for a one-mpg city-cycle fuel economy gain in the Ram. The ESS feature made its way into the Pentastar engine family starting with the 3.2-liter Pentastar V6 engine in the 2013 Jeep Cherokee which FCA estimated to provide up to a 3% improvement in both fuel economy and CO2 emissions-reduction. It has since made its way into the updated 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine which debuted on the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

How does the ESS technology work? Once the vehicle's monitors determine that the vehicle has come to a stop, fuel flow is cut and the engine turns off. Larger batteries ensure that the other in-cabin vehicle systems are unaffected from the fuel cut-off. When the brake pedal is released, the engine automatically restarts and the transmission is engaged within fractions of a second, all without any driver intervention.

Since the engine no longer idles for prolonged periods, the result is a reduction in fuel consumption, particularly in city driving.

The new ESS technology combined with other powertrain changes, more efficient engine offerings and an aerodynamic exterior redesign all serve to provide for significant miles-per-gallon gains for the next-generation 2018+ Jeep Wrangler (JL).

For a preview of the technology and its benefits, we refer to FCA's previous statements regarding the ESS feature standard on the 3.2-liter V6 Pentastar engine on the 2013 Jeep Cherokee (now standard on the updated 3.6-liter V6 Pentastar which debuted for the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee) which we expect will be similar for the JL Wrangler. The FCA comments below were in regards to the 3.2-liter V6 Pentastar's ESS technology:
  • Estimated fuel-economy improvement up to 3%
  • Estimated C02 emissions-reduction up to 3%
  • Enhanced high-speed/high-durability starter and advanced control strategies contribute to seamless, automatic activation
  • Intuitively adapts to driving styles for optimal responsiveness, driving enjoyment
“We’re taking highly efficient engines and upping the ante to further benefit our customers,” said Mike Duhaime, Global Director-Electrified Powertrain Propulsion Systems. “ESS leverages intricate control strategies to deliver a superior driving experience, as well as the expected fuel-savings and emissions-reduction.”

ESS applications in the Chrysler 200 and Jeep Cherokee will account for an estimated C02 emissions-reduction of up to three percent. The technology made its NAFTA-region debut in the Ram 1500 full-size pickup. ESS accounts for a one-mpg city-cycle fuel-economy gain in the Ram, the most fuel-efficient truck in its segment.

ESS works this way:
  • Engine controls constantly monitor vehicle speed
  • When the vehicle brakes to a stop, fuel flow is cut and engine turns off – events that save gas and reduce emissions
  • Beefier batteries maintain other vehicle systems so in-cabin comfort is unaffected
  • When the brake pedal is released, the engine automatically restarts and the nine-speed automatic transmission, the segment-exclusive nine-speed automatic transmission is engaged – all within 0.3 seconds
If a driver chooses to forgo the benefits of ESS, the feature can be deactivated with the push of a button ("A" button below for "Auto" start/stop, as seen in the Jeep Cherokee), and then reactivated. However, in the 2018 Jeep Wrangler the ESS feature will be reactivated to "on" by default upon each ignition cycle.

Engine Start Stop 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they'd do ESS on a more golf cart like technology. IE a big enough electric motor to propel the vehicle forward and simultaneously and seamlessly start the engine. Would work great with a manual transmission and a diesel!

Last edited:

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Never been a fan of ESS altho admittedly I only experienced it in a rental Audi and not an FCA vehicle. It's just no matter how seamless it is I can't get over how strange it feels when the engine goes dead when you're behind the wheel.

Any late model Cherokee/Grand Cherokee owners here that have seen significant MPG gains from it?

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
Had this feature on my 2015 Porsche and ALWAYS had it turned OFF. They can keep the claimed 3% fuel economy improvement and as for the CO2... pleeease.. give me a break.

I'll tell you what works though... on my 2017 Corvette, it has cylinder deactivation that is not even noticeable. For fun, I keep the display on to view the active cylinders (V8 vs 4) and MPG and it is actually fun to go easy and see how to get better MPG. Example... Last October, we drove to Fantasy Fest in Key West and averaged 38 MPG on the way down and coming home, more spirited driving was 25 MPG average. Go figure!

F1Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
Any extra mpg is welcomed but I really wish it could be turned off by default and toggled only when you want. I assume it's that way by design bc of some EPA requirement(?)

Sponsored

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Don't like the feeling of having the car stalling at every stop but I can see the MPG benefits from it. Still would be nice to be able to turn it off. Anyone know if the Grand Cherokee crowd has been able to disable it or make it default to last setting?

Thanks btw to whoever is verifying this info.

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
It can be turned off as stated in the initial posting. Also illustrated above... the button with the "A" and partial arrow circle around it, that is the ESS "OFF" button.

"We've learned that while the ESS feature can be turned off it will default to "on" with each ignition cycle, similar to the way it operates on other FCA vehicles that offer the feature."

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I bet aftermarket chip tuning will offer to toggle the feature to on when you want, or completely disable it.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Thinking about this some more... there's probably a way to disable this feature with CDA or Witech.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I don't like the idea of ESS especially if we're not given a choice to turn it off permanently. So I went searching and found this!

http://www.smartstopstart.com

It's an OBD II device that you just leave plugged in and "It will allow your vehicle to automatically recall whether ESS was on or off the last time you drove and place it back into the same state the next time you drive."

Says it works on the Durango and Jeep Gran Cherokee, so no reason it'll probably work for the JL Wrangler too.

Sponsored

Eddie_T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Sport, 2015 Charger
I'd prefer cylinder deactivation but ESS doesn't bother me. I just doubt it will make much real world difference in mpg.

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
hopefully there's a way to permanently disable it like people figured out on the F150. Living in FL if you get stuck in traffic it will kill AC.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
hopefully there's a way to permanently disable it like people figured out on the F150. Living in FL if you get stuck in traffic it will kill AC.
What are people doing for the F-150?

I've read a trailer hitch brake light tricks the system into thinking you are pulling a trailer therefore deactivating the auto start/stop.

I didn't read anything in the owners manual about towing deactivating the auto start/stop for the Grand Cherokee like it does for the F-150.

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
Wait it kills power to the hvac? i thought the battery keeps it going even if its less effective.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Wait it kills power to the hvac? i thought the battery keeps it going even if its less effective.
A/C compressor is no longer spinning if the engine is stopped. HVAC blower will run on battery. According to Grand Cherokee manual, if the HVAC is set to MAX A/C then engine will not stop.

There are other situations that will automatically deactivate the Start/Stop feature:

Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop
Prior to engine shut down, the system will check many safety and comfort conditions to see if they are fulfilled.
Detailed information about the operation of the Stop/Start system may be viewed in the DID Stop/Start Screen. In the following situations, the engine will not stop:
Driver’s seat belt is not buckled.
Driver’s door is not closed.
Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
Battery charge is low.
The vehicle is on a steep grade.
Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable cabin temperature has not been achieved.
HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed.
HVAC set to MAX A/C.
Engine has not reached normal operating temperature.
The transmission is not in a forward gear.
Hood is open.
Vehicle is in 4LO transfer case mode.
Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.
Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include:
Accelerator pedal input.
Engine temp too high.
5 MPH threshold not achieved from previous AUTOSTOP
Steering angle beyond threshold.
ACC is on and speed is set.

It may be possible for the vehicle to be driven several times without the STOP/START system going into a STOP/START READY state under more extreme conditions of the items listed above.
Sponsored