Sponsored

Verified: Engine Start-Stop (ESS) Standard on 3.6L Pentastar 2018 Wrangler Engine

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I do get ADD sometimes and go straight for the graphs and pictures...
Being dyslexic (which contributes to my many typos typing fast like the clearly/clearer example above), it's how I tend to evaluate where to focus on if I have a lot of content to go over and have the option for pics/graphs that summarize the content, and then cycle back on the details after a first once-over.

Ooh, pretty pictures!

Now if we could just add pop-up book or colouring book features to the forum software. :party:
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Being dyslexic (which contributes to my many typos typing fast like the clearly/clearer example above), it's how I tend to evaluate where to focus on if I have a lot of content to go over and have the option for pics/graphs that summarize the content, and then cycle back on the details after a first once-over.

Ooh, pretty pictures!

Now if we could just add pop-up book or colouring book features to the forum software. :party:
I am a designer by trade, and other than all the technicals of actually doing the design, my end product is usually a drawing. Fabrication, erection, conception, layout... Whatever. The screenshots of the JT frame is reminiscent of what my computer screen looks like every day at work. I'm a visual person, and although I have to read (and write) very technical documents quite often, I prefer my drawings any day!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I know that setup, I have played with Inventor and Solidworks, used AutoCad and Chief Architect for some family house & cottage plans over the years, and was quite adept wih 3DS Max & Maya back in the day, so quite familiar with that type of environment. And despite being dyslexic, I felt very comfortable with all the number/text inputs, it just seemed to come naturally... but of course sometimes.. err.. often.. you miss some little thing that makes your preview/output/render all wonky, and you spend time/patience tracking it down. I'm sure now, like most things, it's much more visual, which woulda been nice in the day.

However, it's always been as a pastime thing not a profession, although I did have a kickass home-built dual AthlonXP (moded to MP) FireGL dual P260 Monitor editing / modeling rig back in the early 2000s that would rival/exceed most pro stations at the time. :dance:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anywhoo... back on track, I am really looing forward to something like that ZF solution, I think that's when stuff like ESS gets out of the way becoming invisible and the overall experience is seemless and greatly improved.

I can't wait, WooHoo !! :rock:

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That chart shows more where those systems have been adopted (Market Penetration), not what they do or how they interact, like whether BSG can be used with ESS.

topdownwrangler

First Name
Tammie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW645, Jeep Cherokee Limited, Jeep Wrangler
Wait it kills power to the hvac? i thought the battery keeps it going even if its less effective.
I've driven a few of the new BMW's in differing models and I can tell you that in only seconds the a/c blows noticeably warmer air here in FL. That alone prompts me to deactivate it. But at least BMW's default to your last preference.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
How about with a manual transmission, if clutch is not engaged/disengaged????? Seems like a huge waste of gas/parts wear to me. I will disable each time I get in vehicle, as I don't drive in traffic much, and don't have that many stops in my area.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Typically with a manual transmission stop-start is activated as follows: Stop car and press clutch - move gear lever to neutral - release clutch - then the engine stops. Press the clutch again and the engine starts up. Saves gas as the engine isn't running while you're stopped.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
When the brake pedal is released, the engine automatically restarts and the nine-speed automatic transmission, the segment-exclusive nine-speed automatic transmission is engaged – all within 0.3 seconds
Wait a sec, is this a typo? The segment exclusive nine-speed automatic transmission. I thought it was an 8 speed. Oh wait this is an old post.....

Was doing a photo shoot in Newfoundland and it was so cold we could not shut off the car for fear it would not restart. Makes me wonder how cold it has to get before ESS is over ridden it would suck to be out in the middle of nowhere with a dead Jeep.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, typo. No 9 speed on the JL. And there is feature for ESS override in cold weather, I just don't know what the parameters are.

Charles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2015 - Expedition 2004 - BMW X5 2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee
Had a lease that had this on it - was so glade to turn it back in - just try that quick left turn from a stop sign - I have to do this everyday and unless I dis-engage the system it is a great way to get into a bad wreck. Causes a slight hesitation - and it is enough of one to make a difference when cars a zipping in traffic at 50 MPH on a busy road.

- Is a good tech for a hybrid - but not a regular car - does not save 3% or even close to it - driving style has a much bigger impact as it about 900% more effective in improving gas consumption that this stupid design.

To me unless there is a way (even a aftermarket way) to disengaged it perm I wont buy a car with this again - and it that means I buy some used vehicle from here out - fine - The EPA can take this technology and stuff it...

Charles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2015 - Expedition 2004 - BMW X5 2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee
So we should drive with our hood open and seat belt off - problem solved :)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So we should drive with our hood open and seat belt off - problem solved :)
Hood open currently kills the remote start on the JK, likely the same on the JL, so that’s a no go.

And seatbelts save lives, eh! :movember: ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Verified: Engine Start-Stop (ESS) Standard on 3.6L Pentastar 2018 Wrangler Engine {filename}

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Had a lease that had this on it - was so glade to turn it back in - just try that quick left turn from a stop sign - I have to do this everyday and unless I dis-engage the system it is a great way to get into a bad wreck. Causes a slight hesitation - and it is enough of one to make a difference when cars a zipping in traffic at 50 MPH on a busy road.

- Is a good tech for a hybrid - but not a regular car - does not save 3% or even close to it - driving style has a much bigger impact as it about 900% more effective in improving gas consumption that this stupid design.

To me unless there is a way (even a aftermarket way) to disengaged it perm I wont buy a car with this again - and it that means I buy some used vehicle from here out - fine - The EPA can take this technology and stuff it...
Ford F-150 owners are defeating ESS by installing a jumper wire on the back of the switch so it thinks it's permanently pressed. You can also install a trailer hitch light or light tester. This tricks the vehicle into thinking it is towing and disables ESS. No mention of towing in the Jeep JL owner's manual under ESS section.
Sponsored