Sponsored

chuckoman

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
I think with no power steering fluid to check or to have to refill , it's a WIN , no hoses and more room to work with in the engine compartment ,
Sponsored

Closure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion tc
I think with no power steering fluid to check or to have to refill , it's a WIN , no hoses and more room to work with in the engine compartment ,
It'll still use fluid.. It's a combo of hydraulic and electric

chuckoman

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
Just looked it Up , Thank you for the info , seems like a better system though!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'll take whatever is simplest and easiest to work on, when it fails!
Very good point, and for the record electric steering systems are EXPENSIVE to work on.

I'm currently driving a F150 while I'm waiting on the JLU to come out and what I've learned is that these electric steering systems commonly start to fail around 100,000 miles and the repair cost is somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000 depending on dealership. You can't just replace a motor, you have to replace the entire steering rack.

I'd take a traditional hydraulic system any day of the week. The steering "feel" is also kind of weird with this electric steering. It's not a natural feel...it's more robotic feeling.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The biggest issue with electric power steering systems is elimination of road feel.

Sports cars used to be all about road feel, but if you drive say a BMW made in the last five years or so you could be driving a video game for all the road feel transmitted back through the wheel.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
This system is different if I understand. It's a rack & pinion with electrically driven hydraulic assist. It will feel no different than the Grand. Well, a little different due IFS vs. live axles...

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
It's nice that there's no longer an old school worm gear steering box hanging down to bash on rocks...

Jeep Wrangler JL Verified: Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering and Telescoping Steering Column {filename}

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
It won't increase clearance, but should reduce damage & trail side fixes.

I hope there's a good solution for lifts, like the drop Pittman arm. (No way they overlook this right?)

Sponsored

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
Not a steering issue, it's a connector issue. Get CVs (edit) and it disappears completely, so changing the steering may help deal with it, but won't eliminate it.

Because there are folks who want the cheapest Wrangler they can buy, and making these features standard across all platforms means the entry MSRP goes up by $xxx which more people moan about. Heck people about LED fender lights.. for when you need to fix or replace them.

That you can buy a more bare bones Wrangler is a plus to many. Even the Sport-B vs Sport-S difference in minimal features shows pretty clearly in the number of folks around there driving around with 16" steelies and basic soft top with manual transmission, doors and locks. Start making everything available on every trim level, then you end up with cookie cutter 'entry level' of 17" Rims, Auto Transmission, Power Windows/Lock and EVIC, and AC, etc and an extra $2,000 to the price tag.
This is gonna be me when I order my JLU. Zero options! Well a hard top but that's it. One option! My Jeep will probably be the cheapest 4 door Wrangler my dealer will have ever sold especially since I am a part of the Tread Lightly program. I have to say I'm glad FCA offers a bare bones Wrangler and hope they do the same with the JLU. I see no reason to why they wouldn't do this I just hope the required standard features like the back up cam don't bump the base price up.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You might want to consider Air Conditioning ($1200) 3:73 gears ($700) . Your Hardtop is $800. (These are JK approximates )
"Basic" can creep up fast ! I'm interested to know what the "Base", or entry level will include, aren't we all !

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
You might want to consider Air Conditioning ($1200) 3:73 gears ($700) . Your Hardtop is $800. (These are JK approximates )
Mine wasn't a build-it options price, but a new $2K hit to the entry level base MSRP, where people like me now have to pay for something we never use (despite having it) like AC. Starting to make things 'standard' creeps the base MSRP up, and while it may be a 'deal' getting $3K+ in options for only $2K boost in MSRP it's something we don't want.

That's why I build out from the base for my cottage Wrangler, it still saves over jumping to Sport-S and building, and I don't get fluff like power doors/windows and AC, and keep the efficient 3.21 gearing while getting better tires than the steelies.

Which is why I hope they just make it a Sport-B and Rubicon as the two bases, and then you can add whatever you want to either, and then get deals by getting bundle groups like Freedom, Willys, BigBear, Chief , Winter, HardRock, Recon, etc. to get you a discount on some common options. The Sahara and others were just Sport+Bling anyways, not a true trim level like the Rubicon.

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
Why would Jeep opt for the hybrid Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering over the newer Electric Power Steering systems?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Didn't GM have a Software issue with electric steering that resulted in a 1 second loss of steering ?
Imagine that in a high-challenge Off Road situation. Software. OMG.
An electric motor driving a hydraulic pump has been on ATVs, UTVs for some time, and work well
Sponsored