Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

CB-Radio-JL-Wrangler.jpg

We can now share that the JL/JLU Wrangler will come pre-wired for CB radios! Whether the pre-wire will come standard or be an option is still unknown, but we think it will likely be offered as an option.

CB radios are useful communication tools for trail riding with a buddy or in a group. Besides the usefulness of being "always-on" (simple button press to speak) and allowing communication in areas without cell phone reception, it provides a quick and easy way to tease your buddies up front for the bad lines they're taking :giggle:

CB radios can provide range far greater than that of walkie-talkies and don't need to be recharged. And they can be a great way to chat up or seek help from strangers within your range. They don't require a license to operate unlike ham radios.

We don't yet have the exact details on what the CB pre-wire option provides, but we speculate that it may include some or all of the following:

Pre-wiring for CB radio. The obvious pre-wire will include easy connections for the CB radio's power (which usually requires splicing into existing wiring), but probably also includes pre-laid coax cable (which connects the radio to the antenna). The CB pre-wire would likely be powered directly from the battery. This allows the CB radio to be operated without the Jeep being on, but also provides a cleaner (less electronically noisy) source of power compared to the fuse box and cigarette lighter.

Pre-selected mounting points. One of the most important aspects of CB radio installations is antenna mounting. CB signal quality/range is affected by antenna location and how well grounded the antenna is (better ground provides better signal). On a Wrangler, popular antenna mounting points include the tire carrier, tail light or tub body, rear bumper, and the hood. The pre-wire option may potentially provide a pre-selected antenna mounting point allowing for ease of install while enabling the best possible signal (optimal location + solid ground). Perhaps mounting brackets and pre-selected location for the radio unit in the cabin will also be included as part of the CB pre-wire option. It's not always easy finding a mounting location which is visible enough to see the CB channel, close enough to hear easily, and convenient to reach the microphone, while not obstructing vision or affecting driving. Jeep could make this an easier process by providing an optimal mounting location from the factory.

Question for our members:

How many here have installed aftermarket CB radios in their Wranglers?
How many here would have installed a CB radio in their Wrangler if the install process was easier?
Sponsored

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
Nice little new features like this added together should make the car more appealing for potential upgrade by JK owners.

Question for our members:

How many here have installed aftermarket CB radios in their Wranglers?
How many here would have installed a CB radio in their Wrangler if the install process was easier?
Never tried but have considered installing a CB. If all I had to do was buy a CB radio unit, attach antenna and plug in the radio, I might have done it already just for fun. Didn't buy one earlier because my buddies didn't have CB's either but now that a couple of them use one, it's something I've been looking at again.

Swanky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA Miata
This sound really good as most jeep clubs require a cb on group rides and seems to be a popular addition to most jeeps that are actually used offroad.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Wiring a CB is a huge PITA since it requires basically removing the entire steering wheel column and center/passenger dash. I'm glad Jeep is stepping up to handle the heavy lifting. It'll be interesting to see how the wiring will be run as that will determine where the actual CB and antenna are mounted, which is so much about personal preference.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I have a CB in my JKU. I wired it behind the glove box. Wasnt too hard, but took some work. Would be awesome if they had the antenna pre-ran to an exterior spot as thats the hardest part of setting up a CB IMO. I'm guessing the pre-wire could also be used for HAM/Amateur radio which is a lot more useful if your SOL and by yourself as its got a much great range. Only down side is you a Lic to operate one.

Sponsored

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Thoughtful option that makes the Wrangler even better equipped from factory for trail use. :clap:

I have a CB in my JKU. I wired it behind the glove box. Wasnt too hard, but took some work. Would be awesome if they had the antenna pre-ran to an exterior spot as thats the hardest part of setting up a CB IMO. I'm guessing the pre-wire could also be used for HAM/Amateur radio which is a lot more useful if your SOL and by yourself as its got a much great range. Only down side is you a Lic to operate one.
Where did you mount your antenna and what kind of range do you get?

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I love this move by FCA. I've had a CB in each of the Jeeps I've owned. Like someone else said, they are often required on a lot of club trail rides. They can also be fun to use even when not in the bush.

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Wow, I didn't expect this move. I love the idea of that.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Dope little detail.
My pops all black vintage 70's lincoln had a CB and growing up me and my teammates would alwasy mess with truckers on it lol

Sponsored

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I've installed on all of mine and the last two brought an external speaker up on the roll bar for better hearing. I hope there is an option to pick up feed through speakers.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'm skeptical, seems like a strange item to focus on... but I'll take it and exploit it.

I use a Midland 75-822 hybrid which can swap from armrest mount to battery powered portable when on the trail. It was a toss-up between that and cobra c75 WX.

Antennae is mag mount for ease of swapabiltiy (it's shared between 2 vehicles plus neen in 2 generations of Wranglers), if there were a permanent connection to a tire carrier mount that would save a step and mean I have a finer tuned antennae for better performance.

Still primarily use FRS (US models with higher power GMRS usage than Canadian models) more often though as more poeple have them for more than just trail treks so easier, plus Garmin Rhino allows GPS location sharing to allow for split groups on different level difficulty trails. But having one or more CB in the group simply allows greater options for vehicles in the area.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Not a strange feature to include at all. This option is a long time coming and a no brainer IMO. I expected them to add it sometime during the JK's life but glad it's at least making it into the JL.

Agree with @LordEgg I hope it includes integration for feed to come over vehicle speakers.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
What other useful things will this pre-wired configuration make easy to implement ?
Sponsored