Sponsored

Vendors, build a removable rear window!

Would you be interested in a removable rear window for your hardtop?

• Total voters

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
For jeeps with a stock hardtop, it would be great to have a removable rear window, especially for the retractable top, but really any hardtop. I imagine people would be interested it such a product. There are primarily hardtops these days.

It would be great if a vendor, Bestop maybe, made a replacement rear window for hardtops that is easily removable without tools, just like the rear side windows are on the retractable hardtop.

Build it and they will come.
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yeah I'm def in for removable side windows on the 2 door!!

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
They have them on the Sky one touch ... what is the reasoning for not allowing all of the hardtops the same design? Do you think it is because the normal hardtops are removable and seasonally people do remove? It has to be the rigidity I guess, still think it be a better option to be able to remove the back side windows along with the freedom panels.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Aftermarket vendor "RetroFit Off Road " is working on removeable side windows for the hardtop, maybe they'll do the rear glass too if interest is shown.

Sponsored

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
What do you guys mean when you say "removable rear windows"?

Do you mean:

A) Removable sides like the Sky One-Touch hardtop (and this JK 2dr hardtop):

ModularTopSlider_zpsytscfp6r.jpg

B) Removable "quick release" windows like on this JK 2dr hardtop:

RemovableWindows_zpsxxxpmtch.jpg

C) Windows that open, like these slider windows (not removable though):

Retrofit2drSliderOrange_zpsim0hmvuh.jpg

D) WIndows that open even more, like the ones on some pickup caps (also not removable):

SideAccessDoor_zps1krxi2ls.jpg

Removable sides like "A" are a significant modification to the hardtop and it's unlikely that they would (or could) be an aftermarket product.

Removable windows, like "B", could be an aftermarket product, but as far as I know no vendor has announced plans for something like that for the JL/JLU.

Retrofit Offroad is working on slider windows like "C" above for the JLU and JL, and are considering doing swing-up cargo windows like "D".

So back to my original question - What do you guys mean when you say "removable rear windows"? A, B, C or D?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Do you mean:

ModularTopSlider_zpsytscfp6r.jpg

RemovableWindows_zpsxxxpmtch.jpg

Retrofit2drSliderOrange_zpsim0hmvuh.jpg

D) WIndows that open even more, like the ones on some pickup caps (also not removable):

SideAccessDoor_zps1krxi2ls.jpg

Removable sides like "A" are a significant modification to the hardtop and it's unlikely that they would (or could) be an aftermarket product.

Removable windows, like "B", could be an aftermarket product, but as far as I know no vendor has announced plans for something like that for the JL/JLU.

Retrofit Offroad is working on slider windows like "C" above for the JLU and JL, and are considering doing swing-up cargo windows like "D".

So back to my original question - What do you guys mean when you say "removable rear windows"? A, B, C or D?
B

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I like “B” but a “B/C” hybrid or even “B/C/D” hybrid would all be cool options.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I like the slider C option but would really like something that could be popped out like old minivan windows for ventilation and that could also be removed.... like the old add-on sunroof designs.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE

Do you mean:

Jeep Wrangler JL Vendors, build a removable rear window! SideAccessDoor_zps1krxi2ls

Jeep Wrangler JL Vendors, build a removable rear window! SideAccessDoor_zps1krxi2ls

Whatever happened with this mod/product? I haven't been able to find anything but think it's desperately missing on the standard hard top.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
The idea was to replicate this. Making the rear tailgate window easily removable.
Jeep Wrangler JL Vendors, build a removable rear window! D2F48EAC-22C1-48A7-9A75-6A5D7E27105D

But I gave up on the idea of ordering the half doors and the one touch hardtop, because of this, so I ordered half doors with a soft top instead.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
The idea was to replicate this. Making the rear tailgate window easily removable.
Jeep Wrangler JL Vendors, build a removable rear window! D2F48EAC-22C1-48A7-9A75-6A5D7E27105D

But I gave up on the idea of ordering the half doors and the one touch hardtop, because of this, so I ordered half doors with a soft top instead.
Stealing this from Kubota. Putting the rear window on a track like in the video, would really hard for me not to order the retractable top.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
D2F48EAC-22C1-48A7-9A75-6A5D7E27105D.jpeg

A good way to do a removable rear window is to make it like a half door - just like half doors have removable uppers, a tailgate can have a removable upper. The additional benefit of that approach is that the tailgate + upper swings as one piece, you don't have the two-step open the hatch then open the tailgate operation.

This is a hard upper version in action on the JKU:

Here's a hard upper on my LJ, this one removes easily by removing a few nuts.

BarnDoorOff.jpg

There's also a soft version, it's installed in these next photos:

SoftBarnDoor5_zps6ibw4juj.jpg

This is a JKU version soft version:

SoftBarnDoorDone11_zpsnv8mtwfl.jpg

SoftBarnDoorDoneOpen_zpsvm3d6nds.jpg

Another JKU soft version being removed:

SoftBarnDoorInstalled4_zps65jspkaw.jpg

Something like these could be done for the JL. I don't have a JL so I haven't done one, I've only built them for the JK/JKU and the TJ/LJ.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Technically rear window is removable on sky roof or hard top.
Disconnect wire harness, unclip window struts from hardtop mounts, pull off washer hose, disconnect passenger side defroster, and take off 4 bolts from window hinges to the hard top.

Screenshot_20210425-195906_eBay.jpg

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stealing this from Kubota. Putting the rear window on a track like in the video, would really hard for me not to order the retractable top.
It's been done. There was a CJ-5 hardtop years ago with a "garage door" style rear window:

ReinforcedPlastics3a.jpg
Sponsored