Sponsored

Vehicle Specific Solar System - JL/Gladiator Rubicon Hood Solar Panel - Starting at $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cascadia4x4

First Name
Cascadia 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep/Toyota
The long awaited Vehicle Specific Solar (VSS) System for the JL/JT Rubicon's is now available for pre-order! These kits will be shipping in September.

We've done our best to maximize the available space on the Rubicon hood and have managed to get 30 watts out of the limited space available.

The Rubicon VSS System is available as a stand alone solar panel or as a complete plug-and-play system including a waterproof MPPT charge controller, clear vehicle vinyl and everything necessary for a clean installation. Pricing starts at $199.

For more information and to pre-order please visit: Rubicon VSS System

Jeep Wrangler JL Vehicle Specific Solar System - JL/Gladiator Rubicon Hood Solar Panel - Starting at $199 JLR 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Vehicle Specific Solar System - JL/Gladiator Rubicon Hood Solar Panel - Starting at $199 JLR 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Vehicle Specific Solar System - JL/Gladiator Rubicon Hood Solar Panel - Starting at $199 JLR 3
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Correct me if I'm wrong but looks like it needs better adhesion around the edges because they already look raised and wind will eventually end up turning the panel in to a kite.

Also can't the edges be bevelled to help with that and make it look better? Can we bevel the edges without voiding warranty?

OP
OP
Cascadia4x4

Cascadia4x4

First Name
Cascadia 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep/Toyota
Correct me if I'm wrong but looks like it needs better adhesion around the edges because they already look raised and wind will eventually end up turning the panel in to a kite.

Also can't the edges be bevelled to help with that and make it look better? Can we bevel the edges without voiding warranty?
It may just be the angle of that picture but the panel is adhered solidly right around the edges. The panel is only about 4mm thick, there is no need to bevel it. We use a strip of 3M VHB around the perimeter of the panel. I guarantee there is NO way this will fly up and turn into a kite. We are using the same adhesive they use to hold windows on skyscrapers, so rest assured it is very solid.

We've spent years designing these systems to work perfectly for the hood mounted applications. :like:

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
It may just be the angle of that picture but the panel is adhered solidly right around the edges. The panel is only about 4mm thick, there is no need to bevel it. We use a strip of 3M VHB around the perimeter of the panel. I guarantee there is NO way this will fly up and turn into a kite. We are using the same adhesive they use to hold windows on skyscrapers, so rest assured it is very solid.

We've spent years designing these systems to work perfectly for the hood mounted applications. :like:
Ok, if you say so but I wouldn't compare very heavy skyscraper windows installed in a metal frame to something that's not as dense and aimed head on at up to 85mph winds sometimes on a regular basis like a wing.

I decided to ask about the bevelled edges because the panel seems thick by the shadow it's casting on the hood. Maybe they're as thin as they get with solar panels but they will catch wind and over heat, time and agitation, I'm not sure if that's what I want taking off from my hood and sticking on the windshield of the person behind me. Just saying what might cross your market's mind.

OP
OP
Cascadia4x4

Cascadia4x4

First Name
Cascadia 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep/Toyota
Ok, if you say so but I wouldn't compare very heavy skyscraper windows installed in a metal frame to something that's not as dense and aimed head on at up to 85mph winds sometimes on a regular basis like a wing.

I decided to ask about the bevelled edges because the panel seems thick by the shadow it's casting on the hood. Maybe they're as thin as they get with solar panels but they will catch wind and over heat, time and agitation, I'm not sure if that's what I want taking off from my hood and sticking on the windshield of the person behind me. Just saying what might cross your market's mind.
No problem! It must the the angle of the photo making it hard to judge the exact specs of the panel. :)

Rest assured that there is no chance of these coming up once they are installed. We've had them out in the wild worldwide for the past 2 years with no issues.

Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Help me translate 30W of power into a practical use case.

OP
OP
Cascadia4x4

Cascadia4x4

First Name
Cascadia 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep/Toyota
Help me translate 30W of power into a practical use case.
As @beaups mentioned above you could charge accessories such as tablets, phones and computers.

An average overland fridge/freezer draws between 1-2 amps. The 30 watt panel will provide ~1.7amps in peak conditions. :like:

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
The long awaited Vehicle Specific Solar (VSS) System for the JL/JT Rubicon's is now available for pre-order! These kits will be shipping in September.

We've done our best to maximize the available space on the Rubicon hood and have managed to get 30 watts out of the limited space available.

The Rubicon VSS System is available as a stand alone solar panel or as a complete plug-and-play system including a waterproof MPPT charge controller, clear vehicle vinyl and everything necessary for a clean installation. Pricing starts at $199.

For more information and to pre-order please visit: Rubicon VSS System

Jeep Wrangler JL Vehicle Specific Solar System - JL/Gladiator Rubicon Hood Solar Panel - Starting at $199 JLR 3

Unique and interesting solution...just went to put an order, but it seems the forum discount code is not working.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
As @beaups mentioned above you could charge accessories such as tablets, phones and computers.

An average overland fridge/freezer draws between 1-2 amps. The 30 watt panel will provide ~1.7amps in peak conditions. :like:
You almost never see peak conditions. What is the average power produced during your years of testing?

Also, how do you remove the panel and 3M VHB after years of the acrylic adhesive thermally aging in the sun and engine heat for years?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cascadia4x4

Cascadia4x4

First Name
Cascadia 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep/Toyota
Unique and interesting solution...just went to put an order, but it seems the forum discount code is not working.
Unfortunately we cannot offer 15% off on our VSS Systems. The 15% of JL Forum code is valid on all of our winch accessories however!

OP
OP
Cascadia4x4

Cascadia4x4

First Name
Cascadia 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep/Toyota
You almost never see peak conditions. What is the average power produced during your years of testing?

Also, how do you remove the panel and 3M VHB after years of the acrylic adhesive thermally aging in the sun and engine heat for years?
You are correct, the output will vary due to light conditions. However, we regularly see peak output with all of our VSS panels, sometimes even above factory specs. We use some of the most efficient solar cells out there in order to maximize the panels output even in low light conditions. With a panel like this which is always setup and working, you need to average out the amount of power it puts out over the day. I don't have any exact numbers for you on the 30 watt Rubicon panel as its a new variation in our product line.

We've been able to remove panels that have been on vehicles for 1+ years. The removal process means running a razor blade between the panel and VHB, then using adhesive remover and elbow grease you can remove the tape residue from the hood. As long as time and care is taken we have been able to repeat the removal process many times without any damage to the vehicles paint. :)

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

I had the same concerns. I've been running the Sport version for the whole summer now, in and around Death Valley. Extreme heat and dust, the two biggest enemies of "stick-on" anything. Off road, washboarded hell, on the highway at 75 with a 50mph headwind at 117F degrees outside, through car washes. On fourth of July I went to open my hood and had to get gloves to touch the metal surfaces and the hood prop my engine bay was so hot. It's on there like a booger on a 4 year olds shirt, it's not coming off. My only problem is keeping the damn neighborhood cats off it every night. If you install it right, it will stay.

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi All:

Maybe this has been said--although I didn't see it--or goes without saying, or if nothing else, is said with @Cascadia4x4's permission and confirmation, but there's nothing wrong, if your wattage needs and bank account are lower, from buying the Rubicon version of this product and sticking it on your non-Rubicon hood.

I'm considering one of these to mostly prevent a parking dash camera from running my batteries low (or the camera shutting off): much as the camera has a voltage cutoff setting.

@Cascadia4x4 is also making a 30" version of this product that produces 40 watts at pricing comparable on a wattage capable basis to its other offerings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.