Vehicle Break-In and Out of State Purchase

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
Oops, when I picked up my wagon in Munich, within a half hour I was driving 110 on the Autobahn. Then again, that was three years ago and it still runs perfectly.
Sponsored

Carlton_Banks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Half the dealerships around me have you test drive on the highways... It will be fine. I've owned many Wranglers. Never followed the advice and never an issue.

For the guy that had a regear blow up "from not following directions," the regear blew up because it wasn't done correctly or the driver floored it while stuck.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Oops, when I picked up my wagon in Munich, within a half hour I was driving 110 on the Autobahn. Then again, that was three years ago and it still runs perfectly.
I'm sure most engines will be fine, but you may have had one broken in on the dyno at the factory before it was even installed in the car. If you take 10 engines, run the hell out of them during break-in, and only one has a problem, I'd still say it isn't worth the risk. It will be at least a decade before I buy another new vehicle, so I'm just not taking a chance. I'm going to follow the manufacturer's break-in guidelines to the letter, at a minimum. I can wait to floor it until 300 miles, no problem.

hilljackglh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150. 2018 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Retired Dentist
I'm sure most engines will be fine, but you may have had one broken in on the dyno at the factory before it was even installed in the car. If you take 10 engines, run the hell out of them during break-in, and only one has a problem, I'd still say it isn't worth the risk. It will be at least a decade before I buy another new vehicle, so I'm just not taking a chance. I'm going to follow the manufacturer's break-in guidelines to the letter, at a minimum. I can wait to floor it until 300 miles, no problem.
My experience has been a vehicle will forever run like it is broken in. Run it hard right out of the gate. Otherwise expect a vehicle you can’t kick a dog in the ass with. Braking is different. Easy on braking for a few hundred miles.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My experience has been a vehicle will forever run like it is broken in. Run it hard right out of the gate. Otherwise expect a vehicle you can’t kick a dog in the ass with. Braking is different. Easy on braking for a few hundred miles.
If that works for you. I've always followed the book and my engines have all run strong. They don't run strong if rings don't set properly. Sounds like your rings were already set.

Sponsored

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
If that works for you. I've always followed the book and my engines have all run strong. They don't run strong if rings don't set properly. Sounds like your rings were already set.
Which is still anecdotal evidence, and the least meaningful evidence when it comes to how many variables affect the longevity of an engine. I could say I only run my engines over 5k rpm on full moons, and they’ve lasted over 150k miles, therefore concluding that high rpm’s are safest during a full moon. I’m not singling just you out, but just using your post as an example. We can’t make sweeping generalizations amongst a myriad of changing variables and with such insignificant sample sizes.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Which is still anecdotal evidence, and the least meaningful evidence when it comes to how many variables affect the longevity of an engine. I could say I only run my engines over 5k rpm on full moons, and they’ve lasted over 150k miles, therefore concluding that high rpm’s are safest during a full moon. I’m not singling just you out, but just using your post as an example. We can’t make sweeping generalizations amongst a myriad of changing variables and with such insignificant sample sizes.
Would you say that the factory break in procedure is based on anecdotal evidence? That's what I'm basing my practice upon. It is also based upon the advice and practice of engineers who design production and race engines. I was merely responding to someone who posted a belief that if you didn't flog an engine during break-in, it would run like a dog.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Would you say that the factory break in procedure is based on anecdotal evidence? That's what I'm basing my practice upon. It is also based upon the advice and practice of engineers who design production and race engines. I was merely responding to someone who posted a belief that if you didn't flog an engine during break-in, it would run like a dog.
No no, not at all. I was simply saying that the best and most legitimate guide we have is the factory guide, which still has to be devised within a significant margin of error, and that people posting their own personal variations of the factory guide aren't really able to support them with anecdotal stories of long or short lasting engines.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No no, not at all. I was simply saying that the best and most legitimate guide we have is the factory guide, which still has to be devised within a significant margin of error, and that people posting their own personal variations of the factory guide aren't really able to support them with anecdotal stories of long or short lasting engines.
Got it. That's what I've been basically saying all along. Look at the quote I responded to and you'll see the context.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Right, I wasn't trying to argue but rather just use your comment as a piggyback. That sounds strange but I think you know what I meant.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Right, I wasn't trying to argue but rather just use your comment as a piggyback. That sounds strange but I think you know what I meant.
Yep, we're good! Sorry for any confusion. I'm tired and easily misunderstand things or miscommunicate in that condition.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
When I picked up my Corvette in '99 in New Orleans (to drive back to Chicago, local dealers here were a jokeon price) the biggest reco was to vary the engine speed vs settling in to a constant interstate drone. I mapped out my route so it would include the Natchez Trace (not a super direct route back but a great and scenic drive) and prior to getting there I'd exit the Interstate every few exits, down the ramp, wait at the stop sign for clear traffic, then back up the ramp and onto the highway again. Once I exited the Trace I had around 500 miles on it and mostly cruised back on the Interstate (but would still vary my speed a little shifting down and up vs cruise control). 18 years later with a lot of hard tracking miles (Road America) it's still running strong.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I mapped out my route so it would include the Natchez Trace
I hate driving through Atlanta. With a passion.

But it's directly between me and my grandmother and a few other family members (Indy -> Orlando).

When I drive to see them, I'll typically go out of my way to avoid Atlanta. One year I went as far west as Tupelo, discovering the Trace along the way. Didn't get to see much of it, but traveling the full length is definitely on my bucket list. Gorgeous.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I would highly recommend taking backroads in the first hundred miles of your drive home, and vary the throttle and load. Don't hot rod it, and stay under 4000 rpms for at least the first 500 miles and you should be good to go. 4000 rpms, according to Acura and Corvette engineers, is the point at which you cause problems with piston rings, if they are not seated. Also, long runs at the same rpm are bad. I'd start out on slower streets and back roads, then after 60 miles, go to faster back roads, then state highways, then after about 300 miles, I'd get on the interstate, but would NOT use cruise control. I'd continue to vary the speed between 55 and 75, or whatever the max is, until 500 miles. After 500, you should be good to light her up and do whatever you want. That plan would err on the side of caution, but would guarantee a proper break-in. Other than going over 4000rpm, droning down the highway at a constant speed would be the worst thing you can do to that engine in the first 300 miles.

Mine will get its first 60 miles right when I pick it up, and it will be city streets and country roads. I'll do that up to 100 miles. I'm not even going to shut it off until I hit 100 miles. I don't want to do a cold start until the ring seating is well under way.
Currently researching the mph 4000 rpms is :whatsgoingon::)
Sponsored