Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
7 month update.... No leaks on Passenger side, after 2nd dealer repair First attempt was replacing just the through valve cover gasket; didn't work. Next they replaced the whole valve cover, new gaskets come pre-installed. Leak was gone. But now, for about the last month drivers side is leaking down onto exhaust manifold... Dam. Replacing the drivers side will require the intake manifold to be removed. So much work for just a little seal(s)

Just goto Home Depot and buy some Flex Seal.

LOL. Just kidding. It is early and I am on my first cup of coffee. I hate over complicated stuff.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Just goto Home Depot and buy some Flex Seal.

LOL. Just kidding. It is early and I am on my first cup of coffee. I hate over complicated stuff.
I know you were kidding but that Flex Seal is not worth crap. Lol! I tested some out on a friend's roof. The Flex Seal deteriorated from the sun and UV pretty quickly.

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
For those who changed both driver and passenger side o-rings on the valve cover solenoid, is the part number for the o-rings the same on both sides (4893803AA)?
Thank you for the part number.

FYI, I'm almost at 50k miles and the passenger side is leaking again. Looks like these will be a somewhat regular; every 25k miles maintenance item...

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the part number.

FYI, I'm almost at 50k miles and the passenger side is leaking again. Looks like these will be a somewhat regular; every 25k miles maintenance item...
Is it the same for both sides?

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Is it the same for both sides?
So far not leaking again on Drivers side. Originally both sides leaked and have been replaced by dealer.

Sponsored

BrennanJL

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited
Mine started leaking at 20k, currently at 91k and still haven't wasted my time bringing it to the dealer. Its a bad design, there's no fix, simply too much crankcase pressure....run it.

LuckyShooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Mine started leaking at 20k, currently at 91k and still haven't wasted my time bringing it to the dealer. Its a bad design, there's no fix, simply too much crankcase pressure....run it.
You know you have become a true Jeep lover when you no longer care that your engine leaks oil

#itsaJeepthing

BrennanJL

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited
You know you have become a true Jeep lover when you no longer care that your engine leaks oil

#itsaJeepthing
I just finally realized there is no actual fix. You just replace the exact same o-ring and in addition waste hours of your time trying to fix the unfixable.

soonerb

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Jeep ZJ, 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.
Let me start by saying I have this issue on my 2019 Ram, which also has the 3.6.

It appears that the part (at least for the Ram) is the variable valve timing solenoid (part 5047897AC). It looks like there are two O-rings on it, and I am guessing that is where the leak is coming from. I ordered a new one the other day and I am going to see if replacing it fixes the leak. I may be going overboard replacing the whole part. I could probably just do the O-rings. That said, once I start, I don't want to wait a week for a part.

Anyway, I plan to report back if I'm successful in stopping the leak. This will also be a dry run for when the issue shows up on my 18 JLUS.
Part number 5047897AC is actually the oil control solenoid for the Variable Valve Lift rocker arms. Very confusing at the parts stores as they always want to sell you the camshaft sensor or Valve timing phasers.

Sponsored

soonerb

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Jeep ZJ, 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.
Chrysler is slowly defeating us, one by one.
You probably have one of the solenoids that is leaking and the problem is not the seal itself. All engines and transmissions suffer from sensors and solenoids that are open to the crankcase evenutally letting some oil through. I have fixed these and oil pressure sensors and transmission speed sensors the same way.

Chrismc74

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary Wrangler JLU
Part number 5047897AC is actually the oil control solenoid for the Variable Valve Lift rocker arms. Very confusing at the parts stores as they always want to sell you the camshaft sensor or Valve timing phasers.
Part number 5047897AC is actually the oil control solenoid for the Variable Valve Lift rocker arms. Very confusing at the parts stores as they always want to sell you the camshaft sensor or
I just finally realized there is no actual fix. You just replace the exact same o-ring and in addition waste hours of your time trying to fix the unfixable.
Hi Everyone,
I’m in the same boat. And this is the second time this is happening. And if this helps, the first time was late November 2022 and I’m in the today(5/1/23) for the same issue.
Is there really no end in sight with this issue?

ltivarovsky

First Name
Leonid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JL)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Got it leaked on the passenger's side first at around 15k. Went to a local dealer. The guy who checked my Jeep sad that it was not a leak - just "sweating". Screw it, I bought the sensor seal from the same dealer (it was just around $6). Spent 15 minutes to replace it, and another 30 minutes to clean up oil residue. Guess what...it started leaking in just a few months or so. The warranty has expired now, and I noticed the same problem on the driver's side. WTF?

Chrismc74

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary Wrangler JLU
Got it leaked on the passenger's side first at around 15k. Went to a local dealer. The guy who checked my Jeep sad that it was not a leak - just "sweating". Screw it, I bought the sensor seal from the same dealer (it was just around $6). Spent 15 minutes to replace it, and another 30 minutes to clean up oil residue. Guess what...it started leaking in just a few months or so. The warranty has expired now, and I noticed the same problem on the driver's side. WTF?
Update for my JLU, The PVC valve also had to be replaced. That could have been the cause? A $25 part? I hope this info helps someone. Going forward, I will be having that thing checked at every oil change.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Update for my JLU, The PVC valve also had to be replaced. That could have been the cause? A $25 part? I hope this info helps someone. Going forward, I will be having that thing checked at every oil change.
Have you seen where it is located on a 3.6L?

Rear passenger valve cover against the firewall. Not easy to see, access, or change.
Sponsored