Valve Cover Oil Leak

Iaacosta86

First Name
Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Isn’t the o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold/header? Mines crying and leaking from the cam positioning sensor on top towards the front of the valve cover. with the dust from the trails it looks really dirty and it really does bug me, I found a replacement for the gasket and it looks like it goes over the top of the valve cover. Probably try to fix it myself when I get it in the mail
Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Isn’t the o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold/header? Mines crying and leaking from the cam positioning sensor on top towards the front of the valve cover. with the dust from the trails it looks really dirty and it really does bug me, I found a replacement for the gasket and it looks like it goes over the top of the valve cover. Probably try to fix it myself when I get it in the mail
Cool give us an update!

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Quick update on my valve cover leak issues. Dealer repaired, I got her back a week ago last Friday. Service guy says there is a service bulletin out on this? I didn't see anything on my paperwork. Drive about 300 miles total this week, after 140 mile trip to coast yesterday came home and, first stop light smoke coming from under the hood. Found major leak on rear cam sensor? Where is goes through the valve cover is leaking bad. Leaks down onto the O2 sensor, the one they just replaced, in the Cat!!

Took it back in this morning and to their credit they were very apologetic. Service writer thought they replaced all gaskets while valve cover was off? But wasn't sure? They were nervous, leak could cause a fire. Both the O2 sensor and running down the Cat were wet. I'll try to get a hold of the service bulletin number Monday. But looks like this is a major issue!!!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yeah
Quick update on my valve cover leak issues. Dealer repaired, I got her back a week ago last Friday. Service guy says there is a service bulletin out on this? I didn't see anything on my paperwork. Drive about 300 miles total this week, after 140 mile trip to coast yesterday came home and, first stop light smoke coming from under the hood. Found major leak on rear cam sensor? Where is goes through the valve cover is leaking bad. Leaks down onto the O2 sensor, the one they just replaced, in the Cat!!

Took it back in this morning and to their credit they were very apologetic. Service writer thought they replaced all gaskets while valve cover was off? But wasn't sure? They were nervous, leak could cause a fire. Both the O2 sensor and running down the Cat were wet. I'll try to get a hold of the service bulletin number Monday. But looks like this is a major issue!!!
Oh damn! Let us know. I actually got some sort of service thing in the mail but I thought they were still bugging me about the steering dampener bulletin. Maybe I’ll call them.
Do you or any of you guys goin in use a programmer or tazer JL?

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Interesting you bring up the Tazer JL. i use the Tazer mini, and they took my rig in for service right away, due to the safety issue. I didn't get a chance to unplug it. So I'm kinda concerned that they'll make a fuss about it. They said no performing the steering stabilizer recall, because I have a Synergy relocation bracket. I would have thought they'd do it, due to a safety issue. Or let me change it out, then give them the old one. Oh well... I'll let everyone know...

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hi BettyBoop,
Thanks for sharing details here on the state of your vehicle, we certainly understand your concerns. If you would like our additional support while you are working with your dealer, please reach out to us privately with your VIN.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Ok, update on my leaking valve cover repair. This time they replaced the entire passenger valve cover. It came with the through valve cover gaskets installed. And so far, after 300 miles, no leaks. NW Jeep did a very complete job, everything looks back in it's proper place. A little anti-freeze spillage with smell, but quick hose off and it was gone.

Not one word was said about my Hikeit throttle controller, or my Tazer Mini. In the future, I'll try to make sure I remove them before any dealer service; but luckily they didn't say anything.

aldwarii

First Name
Mohammed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL - 2doors
nothing I can add
I have the same issue, was afraid of a major issue, but alhamdullah it wasn't
the vvt seal was replaced by the dealer -needed about 7 days-

I am here to say thank you for the one who created this thread, and the members who had helped in the diagnosis
I was on my nerves until i get relieved by this as it is a minor issue

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
It looks like those leaks could be caused by too much crank case pressure under the valve cover, which would be directly related to the catch can. Remove the catch can, clean up the leaks and see if the leaks come back. Also inspect the catch can system and make sure it's not restricted.
Catch can has nothing to do with this. Another theory? I've used catch cans on all of my vehicles for over a decade and never had a problem.

Guess again.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ok, update on my leaking valve cover repair. This time they replaced the entire passenger valve cover. It came with the through valve cover gaskets installed. And so far, after 300 miles, no leaks. NW Jeep did a very complete job, everything looks back in it's proper place. A little anti-freeze spillage with smell, but quick hose off and it was gone.

Not one word was said about my Hikeit throttle controller, or my Tazer Mini. In the future, I'll try to make sure I remove them before any dealer service; but luckily they didn't say anything.
Hey, good post. I just noticed this on my 3.6 last weekend. Parked in the garage hot and closed the door and could smell oil. I had noticed that oil smell for a few weeks when I would open the hood. Thanks to a great forum member, he told me where to look and these are the cam position sensors, like someone mentioned. I have the exact same leaking you do and there is oily residue all over the under side of the engine.

It sounds like your warranty repair went fine and no issues? Did you remove your catch can? Like you, I was worried they would make a big deal about it or blame that. I'll probably remove since the UPR can is all quick connects and a 5 minute job to take out. I'm also afraid they'll cause more harm trying to remove it themselves since they don't know how its installed.

How about your Tazer and HikeIt? It sounds like they didn't give you any headache but will you remove int he future for any service? Probably better safe than sorry.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BettyBoop

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
I remove the catch can before I take it in. Very easy to do. The Tazer is a must have with my 35" tires and 4.88 gears. And so many other uses. The Hikit is a fun to have. Gets rid of the soft pedal feel when driving a stick shift. But still has throttle hang when shifting; sounds like no way to get rid of that.... So far....

I'm sure your repair will go great.

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
all the time needed to have dealer repair; but in this case it's looking like a dealer repair item? Haven't been able to find engine diagrams that show what these through the valve cover items are.
Let me start by saying I have this issue on my 2019 Ram, which also has the 3.6.

It appears that the part (at least for the Ram) is the variable valve timing solenoid (part 5047897AC). It looks like there are two O-rings on it, and I am guessing that is where the leak is coming from. I ordered a new one the other day and I am going to see if replacing it fixes the leak. I may be going overboard replacing the whole part. I could probably just do the O-rings. That said, once I start, I don't want to wait a week for a part.

Anyway, I plan to report back if I'm successful in stopping the leak. This will also be a dry run for when the issue shows up on my 18 JLUS.

ltivarovsky

First Name
Leonid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JL)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
What's the O-ring part number? I could locate only complete valve p/n. Thanks.

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I've been getting burn't smells every once in awhile lately. Found this last night. Wondering is anyone can help me identify what this through the valve cover sensor? is? I'm at 16k miles and it looks like both valve covers are leaking in the same area. Passenger side is worse. I'm not usually a fan of taking all the time needed to have dealer repair; but in this case it's looking like a dealer repair item? Haven't been able to find engine diagrams that show what these through the valve cover items are.

IMG_20200126_113658.jpg

IMG_20200126_114107.jpg
The name of the part is Engine Variable Valve Timing Solenoid the Mopar part number is 5047897AC. The seal in the valve cover that the solenoid goes into is Mopar part number 4893803AA.

To replace the seal on the right or passenger side is not that difficult.

The engine cover and right side front support need to be removed.

Next is to remove the nuts holding the hose clamps on to the silver bracket and the other hose clamps to the rear so that the hoses can be moved out of the way.

After gaining access to the solenoid remove the electrical connector by sliding the lock back toward the loom then sliding a pick in the end on the solenoid and lifting the lock.

Remove the bolt holding the solenoid and pull the solenoid straight out.

Last using a pick or pliers pull the round rubber seal out of the valve cover and replace it with a new seal.

The left side or drivers side appears to be more difficult because it looks like the upper intake manifold needs to be removed to access the solenoid.

ltivarovsky

First Name
Leonid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JL)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The name of the part is Engine Variable Valve Timing Solenoid the Mopar part number is 5047897AC. The seal in the valve cover that the solenoid goes into is Mopar part number 4893803AA.

To replace the seal on the right or passenger side is not that difficult.

The engine cover and right side front support need to be removed.

Next is to remove the nuts holding the hose clamps on to the silver bracket and the other hose clamps to the rear so that the hoses can be moved out of the way.

After gaining access to the solenoid remove the electrical connector by sliding the lock back toward the loom then sliding a pick in the end on the solenoid and lifting the lock.

Remove the bolt holding the solenoid and pull the solenoid straight out.

Last using a pick or pliers pull the round rubber seal out of the valve cover and replace it with a new seal.

The left side or drivers side appears to be more difficult because it looks like the upper intake manifold needs to be removed to access the solenoid.
Thanks a lot for the info.
Sponsored