1Bigskiddy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Rubicon
G'day,
New member here, just picked up a new Rubicon 2DR. Discovered an oil leak as my wife and I took delivery. We still took it home and after a couple of days of investigation I believe it's leaking from the pax side valve cover.

Jeep Wrangler JL Valve Cover Leak Screenshot_20230529-145307_Gallery

I'm not a mechanic, but do have an engineering background and own a couple of older jeeps which I maintain.
Dealer is taking back to fix, but I'm really concerned about their capabilies to fix and put back together.

Has anyone else had this issue? And if so which dealer did the repair job?

Additionally I checked the oil level and to me it looks way too high. With the car warmed and then turned of for about 5mins I'm getting a wet reading about a 1cm above the full mark.
Jeep Wrangler JL Valve Cover Leak 20230529_103229

Not my first leaking jeep, purchased a new Grand Cherokee 9 years ago and had a leaking oil pressure switch from new and then a timing cover 5000km in.

Didn't think I'd get this lucky 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jeep Wrangler JL Valve Cover Leak received_183120181363514
Sponsored

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Rubicon. 2dr Soft Top. 2.0L Turbo, Auto, Stock
Hopefully you'll get a more educated guess, but could the leak be connected to the oil being overfilled? I've read LOTS of stories about dealerships and other shops overfilling the oil

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
When the JL was new, US customers took their Jeeps for the first scheduled service. It seems the old JK held more oil than the JL and so the service centers added too much oil by mistake.

OP
OP
1Bigskiddy

1Bigskiddy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Hopefully you'll get a more educated guess, but could the leak be connected to the oil being overfilled? I've read LOTS of stories about dealerships and other shops overfilling the oil

When the JL was new, US customers took their Jeeps for the first scheduled service. It seems the old JK held more oil than the JL and so the service centers added too much oil by mistake.
Yeah I've read that, but surely 3 years on dealers would have an idea. Admittedly the wire design does make it hard to see the oil, it's only with some paper towel you can tell if it's actually wet. Especially when the oil is fresh.

OP
OP
1Bigskiddy

1Bigskiddy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Leak in action....
I cleaned the area, ran the car for 5 mins, turned it off and 2 mins later it started leaking.

OP
OP
1Bigskiddy

1Bigskiddy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Fixed up now, dealer stated there was a crack in the gasket...(How does a gasket crack?) They put a whole new valve cover on as the individual gasket was not available.
Sponsored