Valve/Carbon Cleaner for the 2.0T

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I've thought about doing that myself, more worried I could potentially jack something up doing it though. Berger does the water/meth kits as well right?
Yes, I never got around to it on the 2019. Our 2022 is a 3.6L so no need now.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Would you happen to know the part number of the oil separator that you could share? Thanks!
My son has the Jeep in Texas and I'm overseas at work, so it might take me a bit to get the invoice from the warranty repair. I'll send you the part number once I get it.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
The 2.0T does have an oil separator. Mine was leaking and replaced under warranty. From the description provided by the service advisor, it's on the passenger side of the back of the engine.
Well, that probably explains why th catch cans installed on the 2.0 aren't seeing much collection - particularly when compared to the 3.6. I was concidering one a while back, but none of the turbo's were catching more than a smidge.
A well designed AOS performs better than a catch can anyway. Possibly another thing Jeep got really right with the 2.0T.

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My son has the Jeep in Texas and I'm overseas at work, so it might take me a bit to get the invoice from the warranty repair. I'll send you the part number once I get it.
Sounds good. No rush. Thanks!

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Well, that probably explains why th catch cans installed on the 2.0 aren't seeing much collection - particularly when compared to the 3.6. I was concidering one a while back, but none of the turbo's were catching more than a smidge.
A well designed AOS performs better than a catch can anyway. Possibly another thing Jeep got really right with the 2.0T.
I have the Mishimoto catch can on my 2.0T for almost 10k miles and I don't think has even collected as much as a tablespoon over that time.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hmm, alldata doesn't list the part number.

Looks like it may be 4893609AD from googling.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Hmm, alldata doesn't list the part number.

Looks like it may be 4893609AD from googling.
Interesting, looks similar to the intergrated (crankcase mounted) OAS GM is running on some of their 2.0's. The intake and oil outlet are directly attached and the air return is vented via hose.
Should also reduce any condensation as it will maintain the same temp as the engine. Really smart design.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/01/gm-patents-innovative-new-integrated-oil-separator-assembly/

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The lack of oil collected is exactly why I've never installed a catch can. Additionally, I didn't want it to be an issue during a warranty claim.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have no issue with methanol injection or tuning. The OP was just asking about cleaning. The power advantage comes from being able to add more ignition spark lead due to the anti-detonation properties of water and/or methanol. That's a tuning mod. Beyond what the OP asked about.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I have no issue with methanol injection or tuning. The OP was just asking about cleaning. The power advantage comes from being able to add more ignition spark lead due to the anti-detonation properties of water and/or methanol. That's a tuning mod. Beyond what the OP asked about.
Your cleaning mod was basically the same cost and complexity without the extra benefits which is why I mentioned it. I've seen dozens of dyno pulls and every boisted vehicle picks up at least 20 whp on the initial run with water/meth before any tuning is done. If you're going to run water for cleaning valves, I'd run water meth even without a tune.

Sponsored

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Your cleaning mod was basically the same cost and complexity without the extra benefits which is why I mentioned it. I've seen dozens of dyno pulls and every boisted vehicle picks up at least 20 whp on the initial run with water/meth before any tuning is done. If you're going to run water for cleaning valves, I'd run water meth even without a tune.
I wonder how often the water meth reservoir would need topping up, and where the best place to store it would be? As long as I'm already considering a tune, I may as well weigh this too.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I've used seafoam with good success in the past. I've not seen any valves to know with the 2.0T but I can say at 35k pulling spark plugs was the worst I've ever seen. They were trashed and burnt up. Shockingly the manual called for plug change at 30k and I see why. Jeep was misfiring.

I believe they've changed it now to say 60k but after what I saw I'd change at 30 lol.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I wonder how often the water meth reservoir would need topping up, and where the best place to store it would be? As long as I'm already considering a tune, I may as well weigh this too.
In the old days, we'd just convert the windshield washer reservoir and wire it into the system. If you want to make horsepower with methanol you'll need a bigger tank if you are in the throttle a lot. Methanol has about half the BTUs per gallon than gasoline. It raises the effective octane of the mixture, but lowers the BTU/gal. of the mixture.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had an older BMW and they used to recommend from the factory to use Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner to combat the carbon buildup

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I had an older BMW and they used to recommend from the factory to use Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner to combat the carbon buildup
Unfortunately, with only direct cylinder injection, fuel never sees the back of the valves, so no help from fuel additives.
Sponsored