First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Are these 2.0s experiencing excessive carbon buildup? I haven't really seen any posts or pictures of it like I have on other vehicles.
The GDI system doesn't allow the gasoline detergents to clean the valves, so it it's a concern. Some say that oil catch cans are a solution, while in extreme cases, walnut blasting is a sort of last resort.

My question is whether occasional use (each 15K miles, for example) of a product like this might address the issue.

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
The GDI system doesn't allow the gasoline detergents to clean the valves, so it it's a concern. Some say that oil catch cans are a solution, while in extreme cases, walnut blasting is a sort of last resort.

My question is whether occasional use (each 15K miles, for example) of a product like this might address the issue.
Yes, some DI motors are much worse than others though. Early DI designs had really bad issues with it. On my 2017 VW, that 2.0 was pretty bad with it and it was a well known issue with that engine. I haven't seen anything like that at all on the FCA 2.0L so that's why I asked if you've seen evidence that this engine is particularly badly affected by it.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
IME, water works as well as anything else. A small amount of water, injected into the inlet, kept my turbo engines of yesteryear very clean. I used an old style oil pressure idiot light sensor (1/8 or 1/4 NPT) to tap into the manifold. When the boost hit a few PSI, the sensor would turn on the winshield washer pump and a small (#50 drill IIRC) orifice sprayed water into the intake manifold. You could rig up a removeable temporary installed small winshield washer tank like this.
12V Universal Car Windshield Washer Pump System with Jet Button Switch 160186 Reservoir Tank Bottle Kit Universal Windshield Washer Kit (amazon.com)

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
At what mileage did you start getting misfire codes?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Between here and the Giulia 2.0 forums, I’ve not heard of a buildup issue. The Giulia has a built in oil separator in the cam cover so I suspect the same for the Jeep 2.0 although it is a different cylinder head. Run tier 1 fuels, get on it once in a while, run the correct oil specified for this DI engine, and you should be good to go.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Between here and the Giulia 2.0 forums, I’ve not heard of a buildup issue. The Giulia has a built in oil separator in the cam cover so I suspect the same for the Jeep 2.0 although it is a different cylinder head. Run tier 1 fuels, get on it once in a while, run the correct oil specified for this DI engine, and you should be good to go.
The 2.0T does have an oil separator. Mine was leaking and replaced under warranty. From the description provided by the service advisor, it's on the passenger side of the back of the engine.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I wanted to use the product, but I had no idea how I'd go about safely injecting a stream without hitting any sensors or causing any unintended consequences. It's too bad. If there was a simple port I could spray it in, I'd use it in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The 2.0T does have an oil separator. Mine was leaking and replaced under warranty. From the description provided by the service advisor, it's on the passenger side of the back of the engine.
Thanks for confirming what I suspected!

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Would you happen to know the part number of the oil separator that you could share? Thanks!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
IME, water works as well as anything else. A small amount of water, injected into the inlet, kept my turbo engines of yesteryear very clean. I used an old style oil pressure idiot light sensor (1/8 or 1/4 NPT) to tap into the manifold. When the boost hit a few PSI, the sensor would turn on the winshield washer pump and a small (#50 drill IIRC) orifice sprayed water into the intake manifold. You could rig up a removeable temporary installed small winshield washer tank like this.
12V Universal Car Windshield Washer Pump System with Jet Button Switch 160186 Reservoir Tank Bottle Kit Universal Windshield Washer Kit (amazon.com)
If I were to go to all this trouble, why not just buy a water/methanol kit? Not only do you get clean valves, you get more knock resistance, cooler intake temps, and more power. The power gain would be minimal without a tuner, but there a guy on the JB4 forum with some very impressive dyno numbers adding water/meth and boost. 333 wheel hp and 470 ft-lbs is pretty damn impressive from a mostly stock 2.0t.
Jeep Wrangler JL Valve/Carbon Cleaner for the 2.0T Screenshot_20230307_052934_Chrome

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
If I were to go to all this trouble, why not just buy a water/methanol kit? Not only do you get clean valves, you get more knock resistance, cooler intake temps, and more power. The power gain would be minimal without a tuner, but there a guy on the JB4 forum with some very impressive dyno numbers adding water/meth and boost. 333 wheel hp and 470 ft-lbs is pretty damn impressive from a mostly stock 2.0t.
Jeep Wrangler JL Valve/Carbon Cleaner for the 2.0T Screenshot_20230307_052934_Chrome
I've thought about doing that myself, more worried I could potentially jack something up doing it though. Berger does the water/meth kits as well right?
Sponsored