Sponsored

Validated - Noco GB150 Successfully Jump Starts an Aux Dead JL within 30 seconds

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
After doing a ton of research for my 3.6l 2019 JLUR with a dead aux battery (driveway, thankfully), I came to the conclusion there's a lot of chatter about whether or not a particular brand will jump a dead aux battery jeep, and I can confirm this morning that this beast will. I'm sure the GB70 will work as well, but I could only get my hands on a GB150 last night.

Got the message two days in a row, aux switches are off due to poor charging and realized at 29k miles, the aux battery has had enough. Charged the Noco overnight, hooked up pos to pos, neg to neg (nothing special, no disconnecting the aux battery) and it started up within 30 seconds of a quick charge.
That's interesting to hear.
The GB150 darned sure should start a 3.6L, it should be able to start a large Caterpiller. The GB40 might even start a 2.0 or 3.6. I'm going to buy a jumpergizmo before my next trip to Utah. I would not buy the GB40, the GB70 is more than I want to spend, so I'm looking at Audew and Gooloo. (And BTW I'm not running the small battery anymore.)
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Do you know the functional difference between the GB and GBX series? For example GB70 vs GBX75?
Both have USB in and out. The GBX75 has a higher capacity than the GB70 and is rated at 2500 amps and has a faster charging time than the GB70. So the GBX75 is uplevel from the GB70.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
After doing a ton of research for my 3.6l 2019 JLUR with a dead aux battery (driveway, thankfully), I came to the conclusion there's a lot of chatter about whether or not a particular brand will jump a dead aux battery jeep, and I can confirm this morning that this beast will. I'm sure the GB70 will work as well, but I could only get my hands on a GB150 last night.

Got the message two days in a row, aux switches are off due to poor charging and realized at 29k miles, the aux battery has had enough. Charged the Noco overnight, hooked up pos to pos, neg to neg (nothing special, no disconnecting the aux battery) and it started up within 30 seconds of a quick charge.

Boom.
Dave, I've done the same with my neighbor's JL. Absolutely no issue. I hooked it up and let it set for about 30 seconds and the Jeep fired right up.

I'm still running both original batteries (January 2018 build date) and haven't had any electrical or any other issues other than warranty recalls.

Charlie

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner

Boom.
Hey, mine just showed up today. I ended up going with the GB150. I need to get the 120v plug charger, as the USB way is like 12 hours to charge.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Reading stuff like this has me excited to install my Cascadia solar panel on the hood. Keeping both batteries topped off all the time hopefully will make my aux battery last longer as well as provide me less chance of being stranded.

Glad you got yours started!
Note to you, you can no longer fold down your windshield unless you prop it up a bit higher, as the little box that comes off the panel will hit the glass. It's great otherwise.

For the 100 Watt panel, make sure to mount it a bit farther back towards the windshield, or else the spray nozzles will hit it.

@Cascadia4x4 again, put a warning and caveat for Wrangler customers.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Does the GB150 require a pre-charge (30 seconds, as you mention) prior to being able to jump a vehicle battery?

I ask because my Antigravity jump pack doesn't require any waiting time (the manufacturer specifically warns against doing so, actually). Provided the clamps are connected correctly, as indicated by a green LED, I'm able to crank/start the engine without delay.
The GB150 actually has a voltage readout the displays when you clamp it on. It's very useful to see how discharged a battery is, so you don't waste time and battery power trying to crank a very low voltage battery without charging a bit first. It is certainly powerful enough to just crank right away, if you don't want to wait.

I typically connect it, then wait for it to reach a certain voltage that I made up on the spot, depending on the vehicle and ambient temperature.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Hey, mine just showed up today. I ended up going with the GB150. I need to get the 120v plug charger, as the USB way is like 12 hours to charge.
It charges more quickly from the 12V plug. I've charged it or topped it off in the back of the jeep many times.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
I realize this is an older thread, but it is related to my issue. I hope someone has some input while I recharge my GB70 and a 2018 wrangler jlur. Both batteries are dead. GB70 will not start the vehicle, even with the manual mode. It will crank it slowly. I got 5 cranks in a row out of it and though it might start, but not happenind. EVIC shows 10.7 volts on the system with the GB70 hooked. GB70 has worked well with other vehicles. I disconnected the AUX battery and the GB70 still will not start the vehicle. Very disappointing.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
@ Null Pointer
Something not right. I've started my JL 3.6 easily with a GB40
That main battery must be dust. I'd put it on a charger, analyzer and load test.
Thanks for responding. The main battery was stone cold dead, and I guess the aux battery drained trying to charge the main. It took my fully charged GP70 down to less than 25%. I got a new main battery, the old one was original equipment from 2018, so about 4 years old or more. I think the aux battery may have been replaced, but not sure since I bought used. The plastic rivets on the passenger side wheel well liner on the left are different from the Mopar ones on the rest of the liner, which makes me think somebody went through there to replace the aux battery. I will pick up a new aux battery today at O'Reilly.