Sponsored

Validated - Noco GB150 Successfully Jump Starts an Aux Dead JL within 30 seconds

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
After doing a ton of research for my 3.6l 2019 JLUR with a dead aux battery (driveway, thankfully), I came to the conclusion there's a lot of chatter about whether or not a particular brand will jump a dead aux battery jeep, and I can confirm this morning that this beast will. I'm sure the GB70 will work as well, but I could only get my hands on a GB150 last night.

Got the message two days in a row, aux switches are off due to poor charging and realized at 29k miles, the aux battery has had enough. Charged the Noco overnight, hooked up pos to pos, neg to neg (nothing special, no disconnecting the aux battery) and it started up within 30 seconds of a quick charge.

Boom.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
Reading stuff like this has me excited to install my Cascadia solar panel on the hood. Keeping both batteries topped off all the time hopefully will make my aux battery last longer as well as provide me less chance of being stranded.

Glad you got yours started!

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have one of those, and they are awesome. I actually drove a car for about 10 miles with that being the only source of power. Serpintine belt blew off, and they drove it till the batter died.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
After doing a ton of research for my 2019 JLUR with a dead aux battery (driveway, thankfully), I came to the conclusion there's a lot of chatter about whether or not a particular brand will jump a dead aux battery jeep, and I can confirm this morning that this beast will. I'm sure the GB70 will work as well, but I could only get my hands on a GB150 last night.

Got the message two days in a row, aux switches are off due to poor charging and realized at 29k miles, the aux battery has had enough. Charged the Noco overnight, hooked up pos to pos, neg to neg (nothing special, no disconnecting the aux battery) and it started up within 30 seconds of a quick charge.

Boom.
Nice! What engine do you have?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
But why did you have to charge it? when the aux battery dies the Jeep uses the main battery for everything. I have a 2019 and that actually happened to me. My Aux battery died and It needed to be replaced. The Jeep was fine though on the main battery. Maybe your main died.

Sponsored

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
@ entropy
+1.
Agreed.

Based on what I just went through on my 19 JLU is that your main is dead/dying, probably high resistance and pulling down your AUX battery with it.
I'd disconnect the main, charge it, let it rest a bit and put a load tester on it. Put a analyzer on it and see if it has high resistance.
The JL will even start with only the AUX battery if main is disconnected. But if either battery is going it takes the other one with it while sitting.
Just my analysis of what I think is going based on what I just went through. I believe both sit in parallel unless the ESS kicks in to which they diconnect.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I have the NOCO GB70. It is rated for a 6.0 L diesel, so it should be adequate for my 3.0 L diesel. I have not needed it yet but sometimes we go off road by ourselves so there is nobody around to jump us if needed.

I store the GB70 in the storage area under the cargo load floor. We took a trip to the West Coast with a Yeti cooler in the back. Sometimes I am not very bright and I left the drain open on the the cooler. When we got to the left end of planet Earth, my cargo area carpet was wet (duh) so I realized what I had done. We allowed the carpet to dry, closed the drain, added more ice and finished our trip. About 30 days later I need something in the cargo storage area to find it had about 4" or water in the well. Turns out the NOCO GB70 is not rated for submarines. An expensive mistake.

Note to self: CLOSE DRAIN ON YETI COOLER

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
hooked up pos to pos, neg to neg (nothing special, no disconnecting the aux battery) and it started up within 30 seconds of a quick charge.
Does the GB150 require a pre-charge (30 seconds, as you mention) prior to being able to jump a vehicle battery?

I ask because my Antigravity jump pack doesn't require any waiting time (the manufacturer specifically warns against doing so, actually). Provided the clamps are connected correctly, as indicated by a green LED, I'm able to crank/start the engine without delay.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
When the NOCO is connected in parallel to the main battery and the main battery is connected in parallel to the aux battery, it does depend on the resistive state of the two batteries. Some of the current from the NOCO will flow into the 2 batteries so there may be a charge time before the engine will crank. If the batteries do not require much power, the engine may crank right away.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
When the NOCO is connected in parallel to the main battery and the main battery is connected in parallel to the aux battery, it does depend on the resistive state of the two batteries. Some of the current from the NOCO will flow into the 2 batteries so there may be a charge time before the engine will crank. If the batteries do not require much power, the engine may crank right away.
That's great intel.

My Antigravity has a Smart Harness, and it will only allow a jump when the green LED illuminates. Possibly there may be a delay on a dual-battery vehicle, depending on circumstances.

OP
OP
jeeplaw

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
Does the GB150 require a pre-charge (30 seconds, as you mention) prior to being able to jump a vehicle battery?

I ask because my Antigravity jump pack doesn't require any waiting time (the manufacturer specifically warns against doing so, actually). Provided the clamps are connected correctly, as indicated by a green LED, I'm able to crank/start the engine without delay.
No, I charged it overnight to full bars and jumped once in the morning to move the jeep, threw the noco in the backseat, at 3:00pm took it out, jumped it again was good to go. Work keeps getting in the way of attempting to go get new batteries...
Sponsored