Vacation Rental 2020 Sport

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
In New England for vacation so we were able to rent a 2020 Wrangler Sport. We own a 2018 Rubicon JL, wow the steering is nice and tight on the Sport compared to my Rubicon. Is that normal, or did they make some changes on the 2020 suspension?

AD456BBB-6954-4714-BA4B-37F259FCEDD9.jpeg
Sponsored

spaghettipie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi A4 Avant s-line, 2012 Subi Impreza sport hatchback, 2010 MB GL350, 2013 Lotus Evora S, 2020 JLU Sahara
Looks like a sport, not a Sahara. Road biased tires, softer suspension, and latest front suspension updates all contribute to the better road manners I’m sure.

OP
OP
Mark Elliott

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thanks BlackMoab, yes it is a Sport..the reason why I said Sahara originally was that we were talking to a lady at Cumberland farms that was driving a Black Sahara 2006..LOL..so I had a brain freeze! But anyways love the steering on the Sport!

OP
OP
Mark Elliott

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Looks like a sport, not a Sahara. Road biased tires, softer suspension, and latest front suspension updates all contribute to the better road manners I’m sure.
Yeah, I corrected the name. But man it is so much better than mine. And I had the recall done and everything for the damper.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I'd also assume the sport has higher caster as it is 2 inches shorter than the Rubicon but has same control arms.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I drove a Sport when my JLR was at the dealer for steering. Again. I noticed that the Sport had a little play (<1” v 3” in mine), but it felt a lot better. It didn’t need so many corrections and was a lot less stressful.

My JLR isn’t lifted and I have the lift LCAs.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
I have resolved all my steering issues 2018-2020 in a nutshell
-tires PSI 36 cold
-ball joints tightened to proper JL specs ( 1 more turn to add back the cotter pin)
-new OEM V41 recall steering stabilizer (prefer my own)
-Still had a 3 in play in steering before it would even turn the wheels and driving at 65 up going straight I would have to hold the wheel left
Discovered all I had to do was at the Drag Link/Pitman Arm, loosen the 15MM bolt, use gloves or a pair of pliers to turn the silver collar clockwise or counter clockwise and had a piece of tape top dead center of my steering wheel to see left or right adjustments
- Do not assume that the adjustments to the steering wheel while parked will be dead on
- Take it for a test ride and come back to make fine adjustments
- When satisfied tighten the 15MM bolt

I can only assume that making this adjustment and fine adjustments to the steering wheel somehow recalibrates the dead spot/center of the wheel.

Jeep drives straight as an arrow, steering is very responsive left or right and highway speeds on cruise can be steered with 2 fingers.

Applied to stock 18 Rubi, 18 Sport S and 20 Sahara

After lift and tires no change to now perfect steering.