First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Actually, it seems internal combustion chamber and mechanical design that contributes to efficiency has hit a plateau. I don’t believe the V8 is outdated when compared to other configurations, especially naturally aspirated. Making it an efficient (not necessarily using less fuel compared to lower displacement engines) power plant leads to knowledge that does not solely rely on extremely high cylinder pressures from forced induction to efficiently burn fuel.

The 392 is an outstanding power plant rivaled by few other NA engines. Especially considering the displacement. And switching to an aluminum block will not garner the weight savings commonly believed... maybe 50 lbs, as it already is considered a lightweight cast iron block due to modern design methods that cut material where it’s not needed.

The last 20+ years of advancements has been an efficiency and weight reduction boon to all engines. It seems to me that hybrid is the possible best of both worlds for practicality. Perhaps that’s why I enjoy this mild hybrid eTorque Turbocharged 2.0.
Sponsored

Last edited:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I'm sure jeep had business reasons for the motor choices. But I agree with you. But I also love my 3.6 and those with the 2.0 love it as well. Apparently the motor characteristics are different between the two choices.

The 392 will be sold in the same way other big power motors are sold (regardless of brand), with a huge price tag. I will be thinking hard on a 392 purchase despite loving my 3.6.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I'm a bit confused as to why you think Jeep's offerings are ridiculous and Ford's are on point. You can configure and F150 with a turbo V6 or 5.0L V8. The V6 has less HP but more torque and the V8 has more HP but less torque. Is that not the same thing that Jeep is doing?
And I'll tell you why in 1 word:

Transition

These companies see the big picture, and that big picture is to get better fuel mileage and better emission ratings while still providing a similar amount of power as their outgoing platforms. They run them side by side so that people can see that, in Ford's case, a turbo V6 can perform just as well as a V8 while giving better fuel economy. Heck, the V6 can provide even more torque than the V8. If they suddenly dropped the V8 and *forced* the V6 on buyers, there would be an uproar. They are conditioning buyers to choose for themselves and steer them toward the end goal of getting people on board with smaller displacement direct inject turbo engines. That is exactly what Jeep is doing. They are showing that a 2.0L turbo 4 can be just as effective as the mainstream Pentastar. Once they run them side by side there will be more acceptance of the 2.0L platform. In fact, that is now the only choice for the new electric hybrid coming out. They want maximum fuel efficiency and emissions, so now that we have seen that the 2.0 is capable, it makes sense to use that in the hybrid. So what about the Pentastar? Well in due time they will transition out for that inline 6 turbo in development across their lineup. It will take over for the aging mainstream Pentastar. But in order to do so, they need people to see that smaller displacement turbo engines are just as capable and reliable. Hence the 2.0L engine is their transition piece now. People will be more willing to accept that technology if they can see it lined up against what is proven already.

As for the V8, that is likely a stop gap until the I6 is ready for production. Ford forced their hand, so Jeep has to respond with what they have in stock. The easiest and cheapest solution for now is to stuff the 6.4L in there. If they can time the release of the electric hybrid with the V8, that should help offset the CAFE regulations. My feeling is that the new I6 will be used for high output configurations (like Ford's 3.5) and since it is built on the same GME platform as the 2.0 we have now, that engine can be used for lower end applications.

I summary, I think Jeep's end goal is to utilize the GME platform as the new mainstream, having various configurations of an I6 and I4 in a majority of their vehicles. Including Wranglers. They will likely still carry some form of V8 for the hardcore enthusiest though (probably just for the Charger / Challenger / RAM lineup), but I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it from the Wrangler once the I6 can prove just as powerful.

That is the big picture. We just have to be conditioned first through a period of transition.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
35s fit jeeps from the factory. The only difference is you can buy a package with a lift and 35s from the factory from Ford. Their “halo” lol bronco will be the warthog which will come with a “complicated” 3L hybrid now found in Lincoln, to go along with two “complicated” turbo options.

the bronco comes with IFS. Which “option” allows for that from jeep?

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
I fell like a teenager on his first hot date! NO ETorque bull@@@! when can I sign, I hope they forget the ESS.
( hope there isn't room for it) I'll pay extra just to get rid of that crap.
Motortrend article has me dreaming again, dam wet dreams, haven't had them in decades.
Being that I had this motor (6.4L) in my challenger (before getting the wrangler), I don't believe its feasible to have ESS in these motors.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
They saw 9.4 MPG because their foot was stuck into the accelerator pedal 85% of the time.

The Ram 2500 sees 13 to 14 average in the real world. The Wrangler with same powertrain should be good for 15+ if the driver can deny the temptation to let those American horses run.

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EHS
I'm a bit confused as to why you think Jeep's offerings are ridiculous and Ford's are on point. You can configure and F150 with a turbo V6 or 5.0L V8. The V6 has less HP but more torque and the V8 has more HP but less torque. Is that not the same thing that Jeep is doing?
And I'll tell you why in 1 word:

Transition

These companies see the big picture, and that big picture is to get better fuel mileage and better emission ratings while still providing a similar amount of power as their outgoing platforms. They run them side by side so that people can see that, in Ford's case, a turbo V6 can perform just as well as a V8 while giving better fuel economy. Heck, the V6 can provide even more torque than the V8. If they suddenly dropped the V8 and *forced* the V6 on buyers, there would be an uproar. They are conditioning buyers to choose for themselves and steer them toward the end goal of getting people on board with smaller displacement direct inject turbo engines. That is exactly what Jeep is doing. They are showing that a 2.0L turbo 4 can be just as effective as the mainstream Pentastar. Once they run them side by side there will be more acceptance of the 2.0L platform. In fact, that is now the only choice for the new electric hybrid coming out. They want maximum fuel efficiency and emissions, so now that we have seen that the 2.0 is capable, it makes sense to use that in the hybrid. So what about the Pentastar? Well in due time they will transition out for that inline 6 turbo in development across their lineup. It will take over for the aging mainstream Pentastar. But in order to do so, they need people to see that smaller displacement turbo engines are just as capable and reliable. Hence the 2.0L engine is their transition piece now. People will be more willing to accept that technology if they can see it lined up against what is proven already.

As for the V8, that is likely a stop gap until the I6 is ready for production. Ford forced their hand, so Jeep has to respond with what they have in stock. The easiest and cheapest solution for now is to stuff the 6.4L in there. If they can time the release of the electric hybrid with the V8, that should help offset the CAFE regulations. My feeling is that the new I6 will be used for high output configurations (like Ford's 3.5) and since it is built on the same GME platform as the 2.0 we have now, that engine can be used for lower end applications.

I summary, I think Jeep's end goal is to utilize the GME platform as the new mainstream, having various configurations of an I6 and I4 in a majority of their vehicles. Including Wranglers. They will likely still carry some form of V8 for the hardcore enthusiest though (probably just for the Charger / Challenger / RAM lineup), but I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped it from the Wrangler once the I6 can prove just as powerful.

That is the big picture. We just have to be conditioned first through a period of transition.
That is a very interesting take on all this. I myself have the 2.0L and it's impressive for what it is but leaves me desiring more power, and a different sound. However if you knew me, you'd know I have been into muscle cars all my life and love that v8 sound which cannot be replicated with a 4 or 6 cylinder....I love my jeep but I really miss my 6.4L challenger. I always told myself, if this is the engine you want, don't complain about the gas. A hellcat challenger will get you from point A to point B just the same as a v6 one, only faster. It's all about the experience and if you're willing to pay the gas $ for it.

Rubicon_20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EHS
Well the nut they ended up ordering was the pitman arm nut. I guess it was galled when they removed it to reinstall it on the new gearbox.

They said the Jeep is ready for pickup.
Hmm, think you posted on the wrong thread bud.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
They saw 9.4 MPG because their foot was stuck into the accelerator pedal 85% of the time.

The Ram 2500 sees 13 to 14 average in the real world. The Wrangler with same powertrain should be good for 15+ if the driver can deny the temptation to let those American horses run.
I get 16+ in my 3.6 IF I can keep my foot out of it. when I'm feeling like a teenager I'm at 12-14.

It's a fun little PROVEN motor. But a V8 would be amazing.

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

It'll be interesting to see for sure. In my SRT GC I think I got like 15ish playing nice. Granted that SUV is heavy AF and the JL has the aero properties of a refrigerator box so it could even out.

The one painful part is broken parts. A blown head gasket in my SRT was not an easy bill to swallow.
Sponsored