Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I've read guys getting 16mpg with their 392 conversions. I'm getting that with my 3.6 with 37s and 4.88s.

I routinely get about 10mpg on the semi tech trail. Likely the 392 would be the same. While I dont care about gas mileage I do care about range on the trail. I dont think there will be much of a difference at all, if one goes 40s mileage will likely be better.

Depending on the price point i'd jump at the V8, but I have to be honest I really like my 3.6 so the offering would have to really be stellar.

As far as too much power....seriously? Big power has been in these jeeps for quite a long time. Handling? My jeep handles pretty darn amazing with 37s. Granted I have high dollar suspension but guys buying these things will have that as well. Stock it will likely be great...hell, they are putting fox shocks on these days.
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I think a lot of people make huge assumptions on the fuel mileage of high HP sports cars. I routinely got mid to high 20s in my GT500 and high 20s in my ZL1 (even touching 30 frequently.) Now granted I did a lot of cruising, but still played around in them quite a bit. You have to. You can’t NOT get on the gas when you have that kind of power and torque available.

Now don’t get me wrong. Nobody will buy them for their mileage and nobody at the EPA will ever confuse them for a Prius, but the perception is often what we battle with performance vehicles. I had a person say the other day at the gas station when I filled up my Raptor “Damn man... $100 to fill that thing up! Exactly why we shouldn’t sell junk like that with that kind of mileage!” I explained to them that I had gotten 23.7 mpg that trip and that the high cost to top it off was due to the 36 gallon tank and not the mileage. They were floored when I told them, and showed them the calculation.

I care greatly about fuel mileage but don’t make my decision about it, although it does get factored in, along with everything else before I buy. This is one of the reasons I have the V6 Raptor now instead of my 2014 model with the 6.2 V8. More power, torque, better features and handling, while getting 10mpg better than the old one we’re the others.

But hey... that’s just me. I won’t buy the 392 Wrangler regardless of the mileage.
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. I got 26 MPG highway in my 03 Cobra, 32v 4.6L DOHC Supercharged.

Also got 24 MPG in a 2000 Mustang Saleen 16v SOHC 4.6L supercharged.

Both were geared 3:55 I think.

IMO the 2003-2004 Cobras were the original “Hellcat” before the actual Hellcat came out years later. Once my kiddos grow out of bikes and power wheels and what not that 3rd car garage will have one.

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
“Jeep's people say it's still "taking feedback" on the concept, and after driving the beast, our feedback is this: Stop talking and start building.”

Where and how many times can I post my promise to buy.
I really like my JLUR 3.6 auto but would love it with a V8 that should be available.
Please take my money again.

Sponsored

DrJayEff

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and 2017 JKU Sahara
Occupation
Chiropractic Physician
Very cool indeed. 10 years ago I would have traded my current Rubicon and bought this V8 monster in a heartbeat. Spending less money on fuel, thus having more to spend elsewhere or just save, as well as being more interested in creating less carbon emission (so as to preserve the environment and wildlife we Jeep to surround ourselves with), I am more excited about the 4Xe.
I do agree about the half doors--what a great look on the JL.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Very cool indeed. 10 years ago I would have traded my current Rubicon and bought this V8 monster in a heartbeat. Spending less money on fuel, thus having more to spend elsewhere or just save, as well as being more interested in creating less carbon emission (so as to preserve the environment and wildlife we Jeep to surround ourselves with), I am more excited about the 4Xe.
I do agree about the half doors--what a great look on the JL.
The extra 744 pounds on the same chassis concerns me for the suspension and chassis durability with the 4xe at this point.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
It's gonna be something I'll NEED for my mental health.
I'm with you. I need an "emotional support vehicle". That would be in addition to my Rubi. I wonder if health insurance will cover that. I know a few mental health professionals who could make a case for me....

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
MT staff got 9.4mpg. That's even worse than expected.
I have never driven a V8 Wrangler that consistently got above 10 mpg around town (hard not to have fun right?). I don't think these results are surprising whatsoever.

My TJ was the best... 5.7 Hemi, if I babied it and stayed 60-65 highway on 33's I'd get 15-16 (4.10 gears 5 speed auto with a ~0.67:1 5th I believe). It'll all depend on the gearing overall I think. But don't expect to throw 37's on this thing and get better fuel economy than a properly geared 3.6.

I'm not sure why people are mentioning sports cars here. It's literally not relevant.

THAT said,

HALF DOORS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
How many times are these car companies going to make 'concepts' with off the shelf parts that should already be for sale in showrooms? When the aftermarket is already doing your job, just give the people what they want. I expect the price would be pretty high, and I would never buy one new. But I'd love to see these available in the used market.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I expect the price would be pretty high, and I would never buy one new. But I'd love to see these available in the used market.
If hunting for a used, Manual trans LJ Rubicon in the past (2013) has taught me anything: These will still command a premium price in the used market- because the people who buy them will likely order them, and hold on to them for a long time... so you won't see a ton of them on the used Market and if you do, they may not be the options or configuration that you want.
Sponsored