Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Agreed.

However, the 5.7 HEMI power numbers overlap too much with EcoDiesel’s. My guess is, FCA is looking to drop a HEMI to create differentiation on the market, particularly ahead of Bronco’s launch. And they want to make a big splash.

While I agree that the 5.7 HEMI is the more sensible business route, in the end it is not going to give Jeep the splash on the market it wants.
Idk dude the hemi 5.7 ram drives like a sweethert on highway but when you get on it she roars. Great motor .
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
0-60 under 5 seconds in a vehicle that handles like a Conestoga. What could possibly go wrong? :)

p.s. I'm waiting for the cars & coffee YouTube videos. The ones that show overexuberent owners burning out leaving the parking lot just before disaster strikes. Lucky all that tends to get hurt is the owner's pride (and a lot of sheet metal)

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You guys that keep touting 80k crack me up. Where the hell do you come up with this number?
We should archive your post and revisit it when the MSRP is posted. My guess is also in the $80K+ range when fully optioned - which is how they will all come. Who are we kidding; Jeep is not in the habit of leaving money on the table.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
0-60 under 5 seconds in a vehicle that handles like a Conestoga. What could possibly go wrong? :)

p.s. I'm waiting for the cars & coffee YouTube videos. The ones that show overexuberent owners shown burning out leaving the parking lot just before disaster strikes. Lucky all that tends to get hurt is the owner's pride (and a lot of sheet metal)
Wrangler and Mustang owners would be able to compare their damages.

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

0-60 in under 5 seconds!

Quote from the article:

“Jeep's people say it's still "taking feedback" on the concept, and after driving the beast, our feedback is this: Stop talking and start building.”
Yeah, it’s a damn Wrangler, if you want to measure 0-60 times, get a sports car, or better yet, some of the fantastic BEVs coming online.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Anyone notice on the interior shot from the overhead view that the driver seat leather is already stretched? That didn’t take long.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
How come the article doesn’t even mention the half doors? It’s like Jeep asked them not to mention it, as if it’s just for attention and not for real. Why is it so hard for Jeep to bring them back? The investment is probably a fraction compared to introducing a new engine. Anyways, just complaining.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I fell like a teenager on his first hot date! NO ETorque bull@@@! when can I sign, I hope they forget the ESS.
( hope there isn't room for it) I'll pay extra just to get rid of that crap.
Motortrend article has me dreaming again, dam wet dreams, havn't had them in decades.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
This is one of the reasons I'm still kinda waiting to go "all in" on my JLUR. Keep it close enough to stock that everything can be reversed and the Jeep traded/ sold and money put toward a V8 Rubicon.
I don't care about 0-60. I don't care about half doors, sky top, red leather, 2" Mopar lift and 37's (I'll get RK and 37's anyway), full time 4wd, etc. etc etc. I don't care about fuel economy. I don't drive like a hot rodding asshole (most days) and that alone will help fuel. I'm even willing to give up my manual trans.

What I care about is the added low end torque on the trail, and the overall ease/ driveability on the highway. It would be nice to be able to have that extra power to pass vehicles on the highway to avoid dangerous situations. OR even have a little extra power if I wanted to pull a small trailer with camping gear. I'm paying very close attention to this, though. Especially drivetrain. Most of the V8 conversions I've seen, the kits are pushing $15k without donor motor/ trans. Someone referenced a $6k option, and I have yet to find that but if prices for the conversion kits don't come down? I'd at least consider checking numbers on a Hemi JLUR. I just hope I can figure this out before the idiots ruin it for everyone who has been waiting- you know, the ones doing burnouts at cars and coffee, who don't off road, end up crashing into other people or rolling them over and suing.

If all else fails or I become independently wealthy? American's Most Wanted 4x4 Just did a 6.4 Hemi conversion with a manual trans. They talked about it on their episode of The Truck Show podcast. They're using the 6.4L Hemi and the GetRag238's AMW4x4 Purchased in one of the big, final lots from that trans manufacturer a few years back. That will likely set you back $30k though...

Sponsored

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
That's what happens when you are always pinning the throttle.
I have the 5.7 Hemi in my TJ. The Hemi if driven the normal always gives 1 - 1.5 mpg better than the 4.0L it replaced. Now the 4.0 inline 6 was no gas saver, but.....This is regular Hemi, not MDS Hemi. I would think FCA could do a MDS 6.4L.
The 4.0 could be efficient under the right conditions. My XJ got 25mpg on the highway. I once got 500 miles on 1 tank. I was down to fumes.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
How come the article doesn’t even mention the half doors? It’s like Jeep asked them not to mention it, as if it’s just for attention and not for real. Why is it so hard for Jeep to bring them back? The investment is probably a fraction compared to introducing a new engine. Anyways, just complaining.
I bet the half doors are even less of a reality than the 392 being released.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
The 4.0 could be efficient under the right conditions. My XJ got 25mpg on the highway. I once got 500 miles on 1 tank. I was down to fumes.
Don't think I ever got 20mpg with my 6. 16 - 20 was the rating on the rubi's. with 4:10's and A/T.
I did get 21 once with the Hemi at 65-70mph road trip.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I still think FCA is going the wrong way about this. Wrangler should get the 5.7 and have it be a lower cost option, the 392 is just not practical and will be way too expensive. If Jeep put the 5.7 as an option for the wrangler for ~$5k they would probably have at least a 25% take rate or more. It would be the perfect engine for the Jeep.
And the embarrassment that an engine really close to the weight penalty of a 392 (but no more than a 3.0 Wrangler Diesel) only has as much power as Ford’s 3.0 V6 turbo or a tuned 2.7 v6 turbo. If they scale up production, relative costs should help mitigate the premium charged for the 392 model when compared to a hypothetical 5.7 version.

It’s not their style to tepidly get attention. They want to go big or go home... looking at recent history. They aren’t adding 5.7’s to get attention and build branding.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I fell like a teenager on his first hot date! NO ETorque bull@@@! when can I sign, I hope they forget the ESS.
ESS doesn't really require anything at all, really. Of all the vehicles I've ever seen that did start-stop, only the Wrangler uses 2 batteries. Somebody in engineering was clearly sniffing a lot of glue that day! lol. It is recommended to use a better/higher quality starter motor, since it gets used a lot more.

Since the Hemi is a OHV engine, it shouldn't take up that much more space than the V6 does. It's just way heavier because it uses a cast iron block. In the cars, they stick the battery in the trunk. I'm not sure what they'd do in the Jeep.

I do think it would be interesting to see what happens. I think that's the first time they've stuck a V8 in a Jeep in the entire history of the Wrangler.
Sponsored