Link
Occupation
Self Employed

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Article refers to an announcement that Dodge is canceling the Hemi V8 after 2023. I assume the same fate is on store for the Jeep version 392.

I wouldn't doubt if the diesel is next on the chopping block.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/features-3/dodge-cancelling-hemi-v8/
Is anyone actually surprised by this? I'm more curious to see what they fill the void with. FCA has been caught flat footed last 3 to 5 years because the turbo 6 cylinder it had talked about did not come to fruition.

I get the case for the 392 and Hellcat (I have a 392 Wrangler after all), but the 5.7 Hemi should have been replaced a long time ago. Most well-executed turbo six cylinder engines I have driven are better than the 5.7 Hemi.

MerlinsGarage

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21RUB392, 97Vipr,14Porsc 911,06Ford GT,64Vette etc
Is anyone actually surprised by this? I'm more curious to see what they fill the void with. FCA has been caught flat footed last 3 to 5 years because the turbo 6 cylinder it had talked about did not come to fruition.

I get the case for the 392 and Hellcat (I have a 392 Wrangler after all), but the 5.7 Hemi should have been replaced a long time ago. Most well-executed turbo six cylinder engines I have driven are better than the 5.7 Hemi.
.........................except that glorious unmistakable sound of a NA V8. Definitely gonna miss them. NA V10s are on the endangered list as well. Just the sad reality of progress.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
.........................except that glorious unmistakable sound of a NA V8. Definitely gonna miss them. NA V10s are on the endangered list as well. Just the sad reality of progress.
For sure re: sound, as a general matter. But I just don't think the 5.7 sounds all that good, at least in the applications that I have driven it in (Ram and Grand Cherokee). All 6.4s I've driven sound amazing.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
For sure re: sound, as a general matter. But I just don't think the 5.7 sounds all that good, at least in the applications that I have driven it in (Ram and Grand Cherokee). All 6.4s I've driven sound amazing.
The 6.4 in a full size ram sounds as bad or worse than the 5.7. Both easily cured with a muffler swap. At least FCA hasn’t went the Ford route of playing vroom vroom noises through the stereo in order to give the illusion of a good engine sound to the driver.

oldman

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited JL SS, ordered 2022 Rubicon XR
The 6.4 in a full size ram sounds as bad or worse than the 5.7. Both easily cured with a muffler swap. At least FCA hasn’t went the Ford route of playing vroom vroom noises through the stereo in order to give the illusion of a good engine sound to the driver.

As explained in the attached thread, the GME T6 (turbo charged) will replace the 5.7L and possibly the 392 to compete with the Ford 2.7 and 3.0 single and dual turbo sixes and produce 300 to 400 hp.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
You’ve never experienced any seat time in a Challenger with the 5.7L and Active Exhaust and Sport Mode....
Jeep Wrangler JL V8 Hemi eliminated after 2023 403FFFC3-99DD-4D29-8889-96239CF5E43D

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
You’ve never experienced any seat time in a Challenger with the 5.7L and Active Exhaust and Sport Mode....
403FFFC3-99DD-4D29-8889-96239CF5E43D.jpeg
Yeah, the 5.7 sounds great -- the 6.4 DOES sound better though. But to say the 5.7 doesn't sound that good is questionable haha.

It is subjective though... I didn't used to think a Porsche flat six sounded good but now I think they sound better than most V8's, so there's that.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Jeep Wrangler JL V8 Hemi eliminated after 2023 403FFFC3-99DD-4D29-8889-96239CF5E43D
You are correct I have not. But every application of the 6.4 sounds good. I just test drove the Grand Wagoneer and it sounds good there too even though they are making every effort to quiet it down. The 5.7 on the other hand sounds forgettable in some cars. Apparently to make the 5.7 sound good, you need a fancy exhaust, toggle to sport mode and be yellow or some other flashy color :)

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
You are correct I have not. But every application of the 6.4 sounds good. I just test drove the Grand Wagoneer and it sounds good there too even though they are making every effort to quiet it down. The 5.7 on the other hand sounds forgettable in some cars. Apparently to make the 5.7 sound good, you need a fancy exhaust, toggle to sport mode and be yellow or some other flashy color :)
Works well though! It was awesome in my TJ!

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
But Dodge’s six is a substantial step down from the 5.7 Hemi, at least for now.

Sadly, Dodge stopped building AWD Chargers with the 5.7. It was a wonderfully powerful and durable motor. If you want an AWD Charger now you’re stuck with the six which is comparatively anemic. (I’d feel differently if the Dodge six had the same performance as the six cylinder Ecoboost Ford puts in the Raptor. That thing goes like a scalded ape.)

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I had 3 Jeep GCs with the 5.7, and I was always underwhelmed by that engine. I still preferred it to the 6, but the first time I drove one home I opened the hood to make sure it actually was the V8. You literally couldn’t hear any typical V8 sound and it was never particularly torquey. Newer GCs didn’t even say 5.7 or Hemi on them anywhere. It was like they were hiding it…

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently to make the 5.7 sound good, you need a fancy exhaust, toggle to sport mode and be yellow or some other flashy color :)
No fancy exhaust required, just see for yourself and drive a 2017+ Charger or Challenger with the OEM active exhaust. They all sound good, regardless of the color, even if they were offered in Hydro Blue. To think that the new Grand Wagoneer is gonna sound all redneck packaged in an $80k to $105k machine is only kidding yourself.

The Challenger T/A is one of the most well done retro-styled cars with some actual heritage to it. The one I posted was bought for my daughter, but since she has a horrible time lying to her Mom and Dad.....I sold it in September and rolled $25k in equity into my current Willys. She now drives a 1997 Wrangler TJ with 206K miles, 2.5L and auto, and it won’t pull a hard deeeeek outta a lard bucket. On the days she needs to attend College, she gets to step up to the 2013 Dodge Dart......with 140k miles on it.

She’s asked me one time to drive my Willys......and nothing was said, just a nice, glaring look. Needless to say.....she’s only asked once.
Sponsored